FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Why do I find this cool?

Author Topic: Why do I find this cool?
Professor Tor Coolguy
Member # 6361

- posted      Profile for Professor Tor Coolguy   Email Professor Tor Coolguy         Edit/Delete Post 
Linky
Posts: 28 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
I find it utterly revolting. [Angst]
Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rhaegar The Fool
Member # 5811

- posted      Profile for Rhaegar The Fool   Email Rhaegar The Fool         Edit/Delete Post 
Defenitely not buying McNuggets again, but then again, I never did, the Wendys ones are the best.

Rhaegar

Posts: 1900 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geomancer
Member # 6299

- posted      Profile for Geomancer   Email Geomancer         Edit/Delete Post 
I, too, find this "utterly revolting", but I have always hated McDonald's (I've always had an 'unsanitary' feeling about them). I shall continue to avoid that wretched place for all of eternity...and maybe plan the franchise's demise... [Evil Laugh]
Posts: 40 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
I've seen this before.
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
drumsntolkein
Member # 6095

- posted      Profile for drumsntolkein           Edit/Delete Post 
AAAAAHHHHH!!!!!!

[Angst] [Angst] [Angst]

Posts: 76 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
Ew, ew, ew, ew, ew.
This is particularly gross to me today.(see Sexual innuendo thread)

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dragon
Member # 3670

- posted      Profile for Dragon   Email Dragon         Edit/Delete Post 
I was thinking the same thing Elizabeth...

That is SO wicked gross! [Angst]

Posts: 3420 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skrika03
Member # 5930

- posted      Profile for skrika03   Email skrika03         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd never seen that before. Thanks. I was worried she had bit into a standard round or Louisiana shaped McNugget to find parts that could only have come from the head. I did handle my subsequent McNugget consumption a bit more gingerly.

But come on, folks, don't you eat sausage or hot dogs?

Posts: 383 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
At least hot dogs aren't recognizable.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
*decides at this point to STAY OUT of this thread from now on*
Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mrs.M
Member # 2943

- posted      Profile for Mrs.M   Email Mrs.M         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
But come on, folks, don't you eat sausage or hot dogs?
Nope. Jewish. [Big Grin]

I'm also a vegetarian. And my mother never allowed me to eat fast food when I was growing up. I finally tried it when I was about 16 and hated it. Then I read Fast Food Nation by Eric Schlosser.

Posts: 3037 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skrika03
Member # 5930

Would you believe this thread actually caused me to crave McNuggets, which I actually went and purchased this evening? That's some powerful crack in those nuggets.
Posts: 383 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LadyDove
Member # 3000

- posted      Profile for LadyDove   Email LadyDove         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow! I guess those nuggets really are made out of chicken.
Posts: 2425 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fallow
Member # 6268

- posted      Profile for fallow   Email fallow         Edit/Delete Post 
At least it looks like real chicken (see CU shot of chicken-head). *YUM!!!*

fallow

Posts: 3061 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
Note: It was found in a chicken wing box, not a chicken mcnugget box. Therefore mcnuggets don't necessarily have to be chicken.
Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

- posted      Profile for KarlEd   Email KarlEd         Edit/Delete Post 
If you want GOOD nuggets, you can't beat Chick-fil-a chicken nuggets, which are recognizably chicken, (cut into bits, not ground and re-formed). Mmmmmm. With "polynesian sauce". <insert Homer drool here>
Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
Does that McD's box look goofy to anyone else?

Since when does McD's sell chicken wings?

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
My thoughts exactly, Scott. Plus, that doesn't look like the batter they coat McNuggets with. I'm seriously doubting the legitimacy of this photo. Anybody tried snopes?

KarlEd is absolutely correct, for fast food chicken, nothing beats Chick-Fil-A

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
Seek and ye shall find:

http://www.snopes.com/horrors/food/friedrat.htm

quote:
Katherine Ortega says she discovered the McNoggin while divvying up the wings at home for her family of four. (Fried chicken wings were being test-marketed in that area.)

Those who have taken the photographs note the fried batter on the item looks to be the same as on the chicken wings. The McNoggin, however, has yet to be examined by experts. John E. Smith, owner of the McDonald's in question and two others, states "My ability to conduct a thorough investigation has been delayed because I have not been given an opportunity to examine the object in question. Although I have made several requests to see this object, the customer refuses to give me that opportunity."

An enforcement officer at the U.S. Department of Agriculture who is looking into the case is at a loss to explain how the head ended up in Ortega's order of wings. The first thing that happens in the processing of live chickens into poultry parts is their beheading, with the heads immediately being discarded. The carcasses then go on to the next stage (which is being dropped into the boiling water to de-feather them). Though the process is mostly mechanized, a plant operator helps with evisceration (the removal of the bird's internal organs) and an on-site USDA inspector is supposed to check each and every chicken. How both could have missed a chicken head going through is a mystery.

At this point, not enough is known to determine if anyone is trying to hoax anyone else, if a poultry plant worker or McDonald's employee thought he'd have himself an innocent bit of fun, or if something went severely wrong with the food processing procedures at the plant and thus a McNoggining could happen again. Further information will be provided as soon as it is available.

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skrika03
Member # 5930

The new McNuggets are more of a whole meat variety, and apparently all white meat. Which actually isn't a plus for me. But they tasted remarkably the same. Commercials indicated they tasted better, but I guess they were just trying to assuage the concerns of those like myself who liked McNuggets the way they were. I know they're an abomination.
peterh
Member # 5208

- posted      Profile for peterh   Email peterh         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm currently eating McNuggets for the first time since starting this thread. MMM Mmmmmm Delicious.

And McDonalds makes the best BBQ sauce too.

Posts: 995 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yank
Member # 2514

- posted      Profile for Yank   Email Yank         Edit/Delete Post 
McDonald's is the devil. Maybe if we removed them all from the Middle East, we could stop terrorism. In fact, we might be able to solve all our foreign-policy woes that way. It does seem that the rioters always target them.....
Posts: 1631 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Emperor Palpatine
Member # 3544

- posted      Profile for Emperor Palpatine   Email Emperor Palpatine         Edit/Delete Post 
I worked at McDonald's.

I would eat about 8-10 nuggets every shift, seeing that I would work for about 7 hours without a half hour break, and pretty much nab extras near the end of the night.

I mean, I know they're gross, but I seriously do contemplate how much the "gross" factor, um, factors into how they taste to people. Honestly, I think that they taste just as good dipped in BBQ sauce as other, "real" nuggets.

Posts: 1004 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Maybe if we removed them all from the Middle East, we could stop terrorism.
Do they have Weapons of Mass Deliciousness?
Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rolf Singer
Member # 3972

- posted      Profile for Rolf Singer   Email Rolf Singer         Edit/Delete Post 
I work in the chicken processing industry and its not impossible for a head to end up with the wings. We've had it happen a few times....ooops.

We dont make anything for McDonalds (yet, but you never know when the contract will come up!!) but if their nuggeting process is anything like ours, you'd be surprised how little actual chicken is in a nugget by proportion. [Smile] Or maybe you wouldnt.

And yes I had heard McDonalds had changed from a formed to a whole muscle nugget in the states. The reason it tastes remarkably the same will be the fact they probably (and I did say probably here, I dont know for sure, but its how we would do it) inject and tumble a huge amount of mariande into the whole muscle fillet. This will give the whole muscle the look of being processed. It also whitens the muscle (otherwise chicken meat tends to cook "grey" looking) gives a better yield for the process, extends the shelf life, and makes the finished product have a softer mouth feel. The end result....you'd never know they used an actual breast fillet to make your nugget, even though they did.

[ April 09, 2004, 08:49 PM: Message edited by: Rolf Singer ]

Posts: 90 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boothby171
Member # 807

- posted      Profile for Boothby171   Email Boothby171         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,

Can I be the first to say it?

No one will be offended?

I guess in the neverending battle between McDonalds, Wendy's, Burger King, and KFC...McDonalds finally found a way to get a...

No, I can't do it. I'm sorry. Someone else will have to say it.

...ahead!

Oh! Now look what you made me go and do!

Posts: 1862 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ralphie
Member # 1565

- posted      Profile for Ralphie   Email Ralphie         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Wow! I guess those nuggets really are made out of chicken.
Genius.
Posts: 7600 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BrianM
Member # 5918

- posted      Profile for BrianM   Email BrianM         Edit/Delete Post 
Are you guys sure this isn't an urabn myth? I have never heard of McDonald's selling chicken wings.
Posts: 369 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.