FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Neverwhere

Author Topic: Neverwhere
msquared
Member # 4484

- posted      Profile for msquared   Email msquared         Edit/Delete Post 
I just got this DVD from the Library and am just ready to watch Episode 3? I hope it gets better. Right now it reminds me a bit like Dr. Who. I sort of expected better from this guy from all I have heard. By this guy I mean Neil Giaman.

Does it get better?

msquared

Posts: 1907 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
I've read Neverwhere, but I wasn't aware that there was a show/mini-series/whatever. What is this, exactly? Have you read the book?
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

- posted      Profile for Bob the Lawyer   Email Bob the Lawyer         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know. A friend of mine swears by it and lent my the DVDs, I watched the first two episodes but never got around to watching the 3rd on. I still have the DVDs though, but I don't imagine it getting any better.

I sympathize.

Posts: 3243 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

- posted      Profile for Bob the Lawyer   Email Bob the Lawyer         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought the miniseries came before the book. The books written when things that the author wanted in the miniseries kept being cut and wanted to write something that was truer to what he originally envisioned.

Or something like that. This comes from the same friend who lent me the DVDs, but I have to admit that I didn't really care and so wasn't really paying attention.

Posts: 3243 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
msquared
Member # 4484

- posted      Profile for msquared   Email msquared         Edit/Delete Post 
I have not read the book.

According to the cover of the DVD box, it is a six episode BBC adaptation of the story. Giaman was supposedly very involved with it's creation.

So far it has been ok, but after two episodes not much has happened. The production values are on par with Dr. Who/HitchHikers Guide, typical BBC low budget fare.

msquared

Posts: 1907 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
St. Yogi
Member # 5974

- posted      Profile for St. Yogi   Email St. Yogi         Edit/Delete Post 
From neilgaiman.com:

quote:
Neverwhere: Was originally a six part mini series for the BBC, running in September and October of 1996. Frustrations over things being taken out of the script and poor effects (the climatic scene where the heroes fight The Great Beast of London is ruined by the fact that the Beast is obviously a cow) caused Neil to write his own, director's cut of the series in the 1996 (1997 for the US version) book of the same name.

Posts: 739 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

Heh. Knowing that that is how the series will end is making me want to skip to the last episode.
Chizpurfle
Member # 6255

- posted      Profile for Chizpurfle   Email Chizpurfle         Edit/Delete Post 
I read Neverwhere before and I had very high expectations as well. It was a great idea but the characters were too bland and flat. I wouldn't go as far as to say it was a bad book- it was okay- but I kept waiting for it to get better but it never did.

I liked his other book written with Terry Pratchett though: Good Omens.

[ March 24, 2004, 11:16 AM: Message edited by: Chizpurfle ]

Posts: 35 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Book
Member # 5500

- posted      Profile for Book           Edit/Delete Post 
I got the miniseries for Christmas, and I was pretty disappointed with it. I can see why Gaiman decided to write the book instead, because that seems far better to me.
Posts: 2258 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
The book to that is excellent!
Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
My fiance watched this one weekend while I was studying. I watched a couple of scenes and thought them terribly overwrought, but I didn't have a way to put them in context so this opinion is probably based on insufficient data.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saxon75
Member # 4589

- posted      Profile for saxon75           Edit/Delete Post 
I've pretty much enjoyed everything I've read by Gaiman. The fact that the BBC miniseries might be awful would come as no shock to me, though. I wasn't exactly a giant fan of the BBC miniseries version of The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

Actually, so much of the book rests on the imagery that I think it would be extremely difficult to make a good screen version of it, even with modern technology and a decent budget. The reason the book works so well is that it has a very fantastic, fairy-tale-like quality to it. It had flavors of Alice in Wonderland, The Wizard of Oz, and the film Dark City for me. Also the viewpoint is absolutely critical to the story, and I think that film often has a hard time with things like that.

Posts: 4534 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Emp
Member # 5955

- posted      Profile for Emp   Email Emp         Edit/Delete Post 
I loved the novel. It was one of my most captivating reads since His Dark Materials.

[ March 24, 2004, 03:12 PM: Message edited by: Emp ]

Posts: 38 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
Props to you for having such excellent taste and loving hHis Dark Materials. you rock!
[Hat]
I did dl that series off winmx... It was... ok... But it seemed so... soap opery. With more money it would have been smashing. It should have been glossier, though the people they picked to play each part were rather cool.
Sometimes, though, I wish they'd stop making movies and series out of books simply because I like my interpretation in my head better. [Big Grin]

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't finished the book yet, but the miniseries was, I agree, very soap-opera-y. I liked it, but I like cheesy things. The book is so far a lot better.
Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
:Locke
Member # 2255

- posted      Profile for :Locke   Email :Locke         Edit/Delete Post 
I first read the book, and loved it to death. Then my dad and my brother, who I had convinced to read it, found the mini-series and ordered it on Amazon. I vowed not to ever watch it, as it would spoil my own conception of the book.

Well, I watched it the day we got it, and I liked it in much the same way many rabid Tolkein fans liked Peter Jackson's film trilogy-- there were points that were absolutely the exact scenes from the book, and other times that made me cringe. All in all, and considering the low budget, I was fairly impressed with the series.

EDIT for spelling. Because I care.

[ March 24, 2004, 06:31 PM: Message edited by: :Locke ]

Posts: 1744 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
The book was my intro to Neil Gaiman. I think I liked Stardust better, though.

The two evil guys in Neverwhere kept me awake for WEEKS.

Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
docmagik
Member # 1131

- posted      Profile for docmagik   Email docmagik         Edit/Delete Post 
I read the book. I blogged about it here.

Then, to be fair, I watched the miniseries, which I blogged about here.

Posts: 1894 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Book
Member # 5500

I'd like to see HBO do American Gods. I think that'd be great.
Posts: 2258 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

- posted      Profile for MrSquicky   Email MrSquicky         Edit/Delete Post 
I loved this book. I wonder about the two guys though. They seem to pop up in other places as well, like in Terry Pratchett's The Truth and in this one short story I read once that I can't remmeber author or title of, although it involed the wonders of dental floss. Does anyone know anything about those figures?
Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Book
Member # 5500

In a video interview on my Neverwhere dvd he said that he originally written Croup and Vandemar when he was 19 years old... They were sitting in a basement in London during the middle ages eating a puppy that had been killed by the plague.

When I pictured them, they looked like the guy from the Magritte painting... You know, the guy with the apple in front of his face? I think I'm cultured enough to know the painting exists, the name of the painting is too much.

Synesthesia
Member # 4774

Are there any sandman fans here?
I love sandman. It's responsible for me meeting many of my college friends.
And if you like that, You'd love Kabuki by David Mack.

Emp
Member # 5955

- posted      Profile for Emp   Email Emp         Edit/Delete Post 
Mr. Croup and Mr. Vandemar scared you?

I mean, I admit that that they were supposed to be nearly invincible, what with having survived centuries of assassinations and having a simple and complex brand of evil and all, but come on. The way Gaiman wrote the two characters outside of any action or pseudo-action scene made much less frightening.

Posts: 38 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Book
Member # 5500

They were pretty funny, if you ask me. I think that they were the two classic villains from children's fairy tales: the big bad wolf and the mean ol fox.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.