FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Random lists

Author Topic: Random lists
Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

- posted      Profile for Zalmoxis           Edit/Delete Post 
This is not a game. This a list with random items generated by a twisted chain of free association. The elements are only connected in the sense that they came from my mind. It's an utterly private exercise where the results are nonsensical. But I disovered two things in generating it.

A. Certain things/sounds/names have become embedded in my conscious as suitable for trotting out at random times. I discarded those items and tried to go on from there. For example, at one point I decided that my thoughts were focusing too much on culture and food [my two favorite topics of conversation] so I tried to go political and came up with -- Spiro Agnew. Why? Because of the funny name. Because he's a popular 'minor' politician to trot out in punchlines and crossword puzzles.

B. It's very strange how we associate some things with others. The association can be rooted in experience (i.e. two seemingly unrelated things linked because you were exposed to both in the same life moment -- for instance, what you were wearing when you heard JFK had been killed, etc.), in similarites of how things sound or look or taste or feel, and in shared attributes [two things that are both square or...].

Feel free to add your own lists. Or not. Random. Or not.

Here's mine:

1. "Wonderwall" by Oasis
2. Raccoons
3. Propane tanks
4. The smell of bruised sage
5. Velamints
6. Teddy Ruxpin
7. V-neck sweaters
8. Cold calling
9. Salad

Posts: 3423 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frisco
Member # 3765

- posted      Profile for Frisco           Edit/Delete Post 
Bunny
Milk
Cruise Ship
Iron
Oreos
Shark
Math
Sweater

Weird. I started with the first thing that popped into my head, then closed my eyes. I watched all the obvious associations float by, and in the midst of all those, I'd see something that had no business being there. That's what made my list.

Posts: 5264 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

Cool. Sounds like you did this more organically than I did. I rooted around too long and stalled and stopped and started instead of doing a full-on free association.
Posts: 3423 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frisco
Member # 3765

- posted      Profile for Frisco           Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I had to do it quickly, else I'd forget what I was doing.

The curse and blessing of ADD. [Razz]

Another game I play: When I'm on long roadtrips by myself, I often find myself thinking about random things. I try and retrace my brain's steps and figure out what triggered the thought (usually a road sign or license plate). I've gotten pretty good at recognizing the leaps my brain takes, but doing an exercise like this humbles me. I have no idea why I associate Oreos with sharks.

Posts: 5264 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jill
Member # 3376

- posted      Profile for Jill   Email Jill         Edit/Delete Post 
Computer
Seashell
Ocean
Binder
Hair
Shampoo
Soap
Sand
Glass
CD Case
Notepad

Posts: 274 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

So you're siting at the beach listening to music and working on your wifi-enabled laptop. Plus you have great hair.

You don't have to rub it in, Jill. Jeez. [Wink]

Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
Sloth
Indolence
Music
pearls
ruffians
violins
clouds
colours
the sky
procrastination
lasers

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alath
Member # 6150

- posted      Profile for alath   Email alath         Edit/Delete Post 
Tuna
Grass
safety
tongue
cheese
cactus
foot
bark
church

Posts: 145 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.