FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Fan Letters

Author Topic: Fan Letters
Jenny Gardener
Member # 903

- posted      Profile for Jenny Gardener   Email Jenny Gardener         Edit/Delete Post 
'Fess up. To whom have you written fan mail?

My list:

OSC for Rebekah
Thomas Eisner for For Love of Insects

Posts: 3141 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Armoth
Member # 4752

- posted      Profile for Armoth   Email Armoth         Edit/Delete Post 
Id like to write to OSC for Worthing Saga, anyone have an adress to write to? (im kinda new here...)
Posts: 1604 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dobbie
Member # 3881

- posted      Profile for Dobbie           Edit/Delete Post 
In case anyone wanted to send me fan mail, my email address is sirius_black@linuxmail.org.
Posts: 1794 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Are we talking, like, genuine fan mail, Jenny? Mail just to say "good job" or the like?
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fitz
Member # 4803

- posted      Profile for Fitz   Email Fitz         Edit/Delete Post 
Tad Williams is the only person to whom I have ever written a fan letter. He's not my favorite author, or anything like that, but I had just read six of his books in a row. It was a spur of the moment thing. I was looking for information about when Sea Of Silver Light would be released, and happened to stumble upon his e-mail address. So I wrote him a quick letter.

About six months later I got an e-mail from him, which was basically just a form letter, with a personal postscript in which he answered a couple of my questions. Pretty cool.

Posts: 1855 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jenny Gardener
Member # 903

- posted      Profile for Jenny Gardener   Email Jenny Gardener         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, Tom D, REAL fan mail where you stroke somebody's ego.
Posts: 3141 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

- posted      Profile for T_Smith   Email T_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
John Stockton- once.
Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
I also wrote Tad Williams, but it was just after I'd finished Sea of Silver Light. I found this little article-thingy on his web site, and I felt almost compelled to let him know that I thoroughly enjoyed the book. After going through that much work, you want someone to tell you it was worth it. He sent me a real reply (not a form letter) thanking me for my email. That was cool.

[ March 24, 2004, 08:06 PM: Message edited by: Jon Boy ]

Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skrika03
Member # 5930

- posted      Profile for skrika03   Email skrika03         Edit/Delete Post 
I was in the Bangles fan club. Does that count? I'm pretty sure I wrote a fan letter to David Letterman. I forget if it was intentionally weird to try and get him to read it on the show. i.e. Dave, which kind of cheese do you prefer to brush your teeth with?
Posts: 383 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
I've written several writers -- ironically, Tad Williams is one of 'em -- but the only one I've done a fannish letter to was Steve Brust; basically, I wanted to ask him what the heck was going on at the end of Brokedown Palace, given the way it kind of fits into the Taltos books (and kind of doesn't. *laugh*)

I was very surprised that he answered me and basically provided a plot outline for the rest of the Taltos series, on the condition that I never tell anybody else. [Smile]

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
UofUlawguy
Member # 5492

- posted      Profile for UofUlawguy   Email UofUlawguy         Edit/Delete Post 
I wrote a fan e-mail to Tad Williams after the second Otherland book (or was it just before?), and he immediately wrote back with a personal e-mail. There was nothing form-letter about it.

I wrote a fan e-mail to Keith Knight, one of my favorite comic strip artists, creator of The K Chronicles. He wrote a really cool e-mail back, too.

When I was in sixth grade I wrote a letter to Lloyd Alexander, and enclosed a tape of a piano piece I had composed based on his Prydain series. He personally wrote a very nice, personal and complimentary letter, along with some printed info about himself and his books.

Posts: 1652 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
My hubby and I both composed letters to OSC but have been to chicken to send 'em yet. [Blushing]
Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
I wrote a fan letter to Kristine Card after I read Lost Boys. Although I've written to OSC also, I don't think any of those were solely adulation -- I was either sharing info or asking for info or some such. I guess I figured he got plenty of fan mail already.

--Pop

Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CalvinMaker
Member # 2032

- posted      Profile for CalvinMaker   Email CalvinMaker         Edit/Delete Post 
When I was in fifth grade, just after reading The Golden Compass, I wrote a fanmail letter to Phillip Pullman. A few months later I got a personaly reply to my letter. It was awesome.
Posts: 1934 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
I wrote to Tony Robinson once, and got a personal reply. And I know especially that it was personalized, because the signature was in blue. I was, I think, nine or ten at the time... so I was super excited to receive it in the mail! [Smile]
Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

- posted      Profile for Bob the Lawyer   Email Bob the Lawyer         Edit/Delete Post 
Heck, I don't even write my *mother* mail.

If anyone should get one from me I think it outta be her.

"Dear Mom, you are the greatest. Love Dan."

Posts: 3243 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eslaine
Member # 5433

- posted      Profile for eslaine           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Slaine, Erik.
"Chain Mail" p. 89 in Heavy Metal, v. 6, no. 11 (Feb.
1983). -- Letters from Carmen M. Imperato, Joey Cavalieri,
Frank Thring, Clay Green, Charles N. Taylor, Erik Slaine,
and Hans Behlendorff. -- Call no.: PN6728.H43v.6no.11

Posts: 2506 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
When I first discovered Hatrack back in the paleolithic period, I was surprised to see OSC's email address listed. I wrote him a fan letter and in a few hours he had written back! It was so cool.

My little brother once wrote a fan letter to Billy Joel, and he got back a signed 8 by 10 glossy photo that said "To Max - Cheers! -Billy Joel." I was so jealous.

And a couple times I sent birthday cards to Bono. You know, back in my young silly days. You know, not like when I was 21 or anything.

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aka
Member # 139

- posted      Profile for aka   Email aka         Edit/Delete Post 
OSC's email address I think is OrsonCard@aol.com, isn't it? I wrote him one night at 1am after finishing Pageant Wagon, which is still one of my favorite stories of all time, just to say bravo, hooray, great story. The really cool thing was that he answered me by 3am the same night! He was super nice and said he loved to hear when his readers connect with his stories, and that he was working with a friend on a full length musical version of the story, (I guess for a movie) and yes they were insane. <laughs> I was so delighted to hear back from him like that. OSC is just cool.
Posts: 5509 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dead_Horse
Member # 3027

- posted      Profile for Dead_Horse   Email Dead_Horse         Edit/Delete Post 
Spider Robinson answered our letter asking him to become our club mascot by accepting, answering our questions, and quipping "I've got a loverly bunch of Co-Canucks!" (He was living in Canada at the time.)
Posts: 1379 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
When I was in grade school, our class voted on who the class should send fan letters to. I wanted to write to Tom Baker, but my teacher made me write to Lou Ferrigno like everybody else. At least I didn't have to write to one of the people from Dukes of Hazzard. One of the brothers Duke was the class' second choice. I think Olivia Newton John was #3. Tom Baker was pretty far down the list, receiving, if I recall, a single vote.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gwan
Member # 6194

- posted      Profile for gwan   Email gwan         Edit/Delete Post 
If Mation Zimmer Bradley, were alive. I would write her with out a second thought... She is a genius. [Hail]
Posts: 197 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sweet William
Member # 5212

- posted      Profile for Sweet William           Edit/Delete Post 
Dear Mr. Ferigno:

Why does the shirt, the shoes, everything shred, except for those (apparently stretchy pants)?

Do you and Mr. Bixby have the same waist and quad measurements? If so, what good is being a bodybuilder, if you can't get any bigger than some whimp actor?

SW

Posts: 524 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivet
Member # 1104

- posted      Profile for Olivet   Email Olivet         Edit/Delete Post 
Never, I don't think, though I did once get an email from OSC and I replied to it. That reply may have been sorta fangirly. *snort*

I'm... just not a letter writer. I HAVE considered it, occasionally. I just always figured it would come out wrong. Like:

"I really loved the Ender novels. My husband did, too, though he did ask me if you'd had a stroke or anything after he read the bit where Ender causes his brother and sister to materialize out of nothing. What were you THINKING?"

The trouble is that once I start saying what I think, I can't stop. So it's best to say, "I really like your work" and leave it at that. But then, that seems really lame all by itself.

So, NO, I don't do fan mail.

My sister once sent Rod Stewart a comb with instructions. Does that count?

Posts: 9293 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

I've emailed back and forth with Maureen McHugh, David Brin, and Pat Murphy, but the correspondances weren't particularly "fanish".
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
I wrote a fawning love letter to Joe from New Kids on the Block when I was 13.

*hides under desk*

The mania lasted exactly two weeks - long enough for me to make a scrapbook and write a letter. No response.

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
I write fan mail to musicians I go to see.(not the big stars, the loca and festival musicians) It is really amazing how much they appreciate hearing good things.
Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Olivia asked:
"My sister once sent Rod Stewart a comb with instructions. Does that count?"

It counts if it was a fan-shaped comb.

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
karen.elizabeth
Member # 6345

- posted      Profile for karen.elizabeth   Email karen.elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
President Clinton.

I was six. I advised him on Welfare reform, gave him a picture of me, and asked for one back (all by my lone self. Okay, so, I had to have Bummy address it).

He didn't reply!

So my Bummy e-mailed him and told he that he was a jerk -- and that she didn't understand why I wanted a picture of him, as he wasn't exactly very attractive in the first place.

The note I got started with "Your letter and your grandmother's have been circulating the White House ..." or something like that.

I now get handwritten messages every time I write to him.

Posts: 45 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Speed
Member # 5162

- posted      Profile for Speed   Email Speed         Edit/Delete Post 
I think the only fan letter I've ever written was to OSC's brother Arlen, and I still can't believe he responded. I was really excited.

Oh, and when Last Comic Standing was on I happened upon the email address of contestant Rob Cantrell, so I wrote him a short email on a whim. I really did think he was funnier than most of the people on that show, but I wouldn't have sought him out if I hadn't happened to run across his address while in an odd mood. Anyway, I wrote him a short and strange letter and attached this picture that I took of my friend in high school. I can't remember what else I said, other than the subject of the email was Earth: Ghetto World because that was the tagline for the paperback copy of Pebble in the Sky, which I happened to be reading at the time. Anyway, he wrote me back within a day. It was a short response, but I was still pretty impressed that a semi-famous person acknowledged my existance. I had this crazy "Rob Cantrell wrote me an email" vibe going on for the rest of the day.

[ March 25, 2004, 03:23 PM: Message edited by: Speed ]

Posts: 2804 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
I think the only reason I don't write fan letters is now I can still feel the reverberations of shame from writing one to the cutest member of New Kids on the Block. I know I floated for weeks after the first time I talked to OSC.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Speed
Member # 5162

You know, every time I have a strange dream of a random famous person, I'm tempted to write them a letter.

Like last week I had a really vivid dream that I was in a huge building in Europe and my wife wanted me to follow her up about 100 flights of stairs to the top. So I was about half way up, and one of the floors that I passed was a huge room with a giant crowd of people sitting on the floor talking. Right next to the staircase was Stewart Copeland, the drummer for The Police. I wanted to stop, but my wife wouldn't let me. About 20 floors later I convinced her to let me go down and get a picture with him. So I went down the stairs, but it became one of those moving-through-molasses type dream moments, and I couldn't get back down. When I finally did see him again, my camera was out of batteries. I was hoping I could get enough juice to take one picture, and he was getting really impatient. It kind of continued like that until I woke up.

That was one of the only famous people that I actually respect that has ever come into my dreams. Usually it's an anchor for MTV News or something odd and random like that. But even then, I'm always tempted to write them a letter, just to inform them that they've influenced someone that they don't know to dream about them. But I never get around to it.

Posts: 2804 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
Once, when we lived in Colorado, the Pope visited Denver for a world youth conference. My mom heard about the visit, and wrote him a letter inviting him to come over for dinner while he was in town. (My family is Mormon.)

We got a letter on really fancy stationary back from a secretary of some sort, saying: "His Holiness is flattered by your invitation but unfortunately cannot accept. He sends his blessings to you and your family."

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
I always think it's funny how whenever someone gets halfway famous, receiving any kind of personal correspondence from them is suddenly a huge deal?like somehow they are proving that fame has not corrupted them yet, and that they're human. Everything they say is suddenly profound and valuable.

I guess when you get famous you have to start guarding your private life more and more, so maybe sending out replies to fan mail IS more of a special thing. What's really funny is to watch how some people take it upon themselves to guard the celebrity's privacy, while at the same time claiming an inside connection to the celebrity.

I'm a fan of Radiohead, but I can't think of one thing to say to them that wouldn't sound fanboyish. "Gee, Thom, I love your music! So what's the process you guys follow for putting a song together? So what do you do when you're not writing music?"

If I were a celebrity, having to spend a day with a star-struck fan (because the fan won the grand prize) would bug the hell out of me.

Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
karen.elizabeth
Member # 6345

- posted      Profile for karen.elizabeth   Email karen.elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
Annie, your mum is awesome. *grins*
Posts: 45 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

There are very few famous people that I'd strike up a conversation with, if I were to bump into them. If I didn't feel like I had anything worthwhile to say, I'd probably just keep quiet. In fact, the only non-author famous person I'd strike up a conversation with would be George Harrison, if he were still alive.

In actuality, if I saw George Harrison walking down the street now, I'd flee in terror--I'd be afraid he wanted to eat my brain.

Raia
Member # 4700

quote:
My sister once sent Rod Stewart a comb with instructions. Does that count?
[ROFL]
Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eslaine
Member # 5433

- posted      Profile for eslaine           Edit/Delete Post 
Why George Harrison in particular, Noemon?
Posts: 2506 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
[Big Grin] Noemon

Seriously, I don't have anything more to say to famous people than I do to the average joe stranger. If I saw someone I recognized I'd more than likely say "cool!" and then go about my business.

Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

Well, I'd want to talk to him about his ideas about the nature of reality, and that kind of thing. Apparently he had a difficult time finding people who were willing to do more than humor him in talking about it (according to an interview with Michael Palin, anyway), so I have a feeling he'd have been receptive. Actually, I think he'd have fit in pretty well here at Hatrack, if he'd ever happened onto it.
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
I can honestly say that the only person I've ever sent fan mail to is Annie.

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
Chuck Palahniuk.

and he sent me two of his personal hard cover copies of Fight Club afterwards(which were out of print). both signed. one was a yugoslavian edition of the book. both had random stickers placed in the books as book marks and had random scribbles signifying his favorite number or chapter. [Smile]

Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

Wow, Strider, that's awesome!!
Stan the man
Member # 6249

- posted      Profile for Stan the man   Email Stan the man         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah! I paid $20 to join the Kasey Kahne Fan club almost a month ago. The t-shirt finally arrived. Along with a couple signed pictures, a membership certificate (I am fan number 58), a Membership card and a cup holder w/ the Dodge Motorsports logo. This is awesome! Kahne is a rookie Nascar driver that is my driver's (Jeremy Mayfield) teammate. I can't join JM's yet because I don't use checks. I will have to wait until they accept CCs. In the meantime I will suffice being a member of his unofficial fan club site.
Posts: 2208 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Noemon, did you ses the tribute to George Harrison on PBS with his son, wife, Ravi Shankar, Eric Clapton, and a cast of musicians from India, Great Britain, and the US?
Olivet
Member # 1104

- posted      Profile for Olivet   Email Olivet         Edit/Delete Post 
Ron used to travel a LOT, usually first class, for his job. He shared flights with Jerry Springer and his disabled daughter, M.C. Hammer and his 'posse', various sports guys and David Duchovny (that was the only one I really wished I'd been there to see, but I couldn't tell Ron that. [Big Grin] ). He never spoke to any of them. The one time he was most tempted was when he stayed in the same hotel as Yo Yo Ma in Pittsburgh, and they rode down the elevator together. He's a HUGE fan of Mr. Ma, and he was just tongue-tied.

Which is funny to me, since Ron was probably fairly imposing, being tall and muscular and all. Completely awed by this little unassuming Asian fellow in wire glasses carrying a cello case.

Posts: 9293 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Speed
Member # 5162

I can't imagine a large American being intimidated by a small Asian carrying a string instrument.

[ March 25, 2004, 11:07 PM: Message edited by: Speed ]

Occasional
Member # 5860

- posted      Profile for Occasional   Email Occasional         Edit/Delete Post 
I suppose I wrote some fan mail to OSC, but it was more about a question than to "drool" over his talent. Yes, I got a response. Yes, it was personalized. Finally, yes, it was as routine and boring as the question I had asked.

Other than that, I have never written fan mail because I never saw the point. I suppose if I were cynical I could write to them by snale-mail in hopes they give me their signiture so I couls sell it over e-bay.

Posts: 2207 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Book
Member # 5500

- posted      Profile for Book           Edit/Delete Post 
Neil Gaiman once or twice, and that's it.
Posts: 2258 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

"What's really funny is to watch how some people take it upon themselves to guard the celebrity's privacy, while at the same time claiming an inside connection to the celebrity."

Advice for Robots,
I saw this phenomenon in action tonight. I went to a Richard Thompson concert, followed by a champagne reception. Now, obviously, people who paid 100 bucks for a concert, followed by a lovely party, are doing it TO MEET RICHARD THOMPSON. I was sure there for that reason, I will readily admit it. I heard people behind me saying, "Poor Richard, he's swamped. Oh, look, he broke away. Poor guy, can;t they leave him alone?"
Well, hell-O, wasn't the guy clogging up the same space as everyone else he was complaining about? If he really cared about him being left alone, he would have gone home after the concert.

I am a groupie, pure and simple, of about fifteen different bands.(I am not sure if there is a limit on how many bands you can be a groupie of)

My name is Elizabeth. I am a musicianoholic.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.