FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Marvin the Paranoid Android

Author Topic: Marvin the Paranoid Android
Book
Member # 5500

- posted      Profile for Book           Edit/Delete Post 
Prototype for Marvin

I have to admit, I always thought of Marvin being man-sized (and looking like Bender with red triangles for eyes), but the overall droopiness of the figure is actually okay.

Posts: 2258 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Da_Goat
Member # 5529

- posted      Profile for Da_Goat           Edit/Delete Post 
I knew he was short. I don't remember if they came out and said it, or if so many people picked him up that he just didn't make sense being tall.
Posts: 2292 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Book
Member # 5500

Hmm, I don't remember anyone picking him up...
Posts: 2258 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Da_Goat
Member # 5529

- posted      Profile for Da_Goat           Edit/Delete Post 
Spoilers, though I'm sure everybody's already read it.....

I know they picked him up before they saw the message from God. I can't remember any others at the moment, but I'm positive there were some.

[ March 25, 2004, 03:02 AM: Message edited by: Da_Goat ]

Posts: 2292 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Book
Member # 5500

I thought they were sorta dragging him along then, or maybe it was made much easier since two people were doing it.
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
I always envisioned them gently elevating his head, not hoisting him into the air. He's still a chunk of metal, after all.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BYuCnslr
Member # 1857

- posted      Profile for BYuCnslr   Email BYuCnslr         Edit/Delete Post 
They lifted him up onto their shoulders, and dragged him along. At the Message, they held him up and lifted his head. I'm used to seeing the Marvin from the BBC H2G2 TV series...anyone else remember those?
Satyagraha

Posts: 1986 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
I wonder if they built faulty diodes into his left side...
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
You know, I always pictured him looking like a Cyberman from Dr. Who. Those have to be the silliest looking villains in all of television SF.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
carolan
Member # 2106

- posted      Profile for carolan   Email carolan         Edit/Delete Post 
I certainly never pictured him that, round, I guess. Don't the Krikkit robots take his foot or leg while he's stuck in a swamp? He's supposed to be turning around in circles for a millenia or something. I definitely thought his legs, at least, would have to be skinnier.
Posts: 47 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmm...doesn't look like how I'd pictured him (almost man height, quite thin), but who would picture Willow wearing a little round-headed suit?!

[ March 25, 2004, 01:12 PM: Message edited by: ludosti ]

Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
You know, I think I actually pictured him looking somewhat like Bender. Kind of tall and squarish, anyway.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BYuCnslr
Member # 1857

- posted      Profile for BYuCnslr   Email BYuCnslr         Edit/Delete Post 
the Original Marvin from the BBC TV series.
Satyagraha

Posts: 1986 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Proteus
Member # 794

- posted      Profile for Proteus   Email Proteus         Edit/Delete Post 
There is no way he was that short. I would've noticed, i hope i would've at least - it being my favourite book and all (even ahead of Enders Game).

The original radio scripts make no mention and the original Beeb version fits the bill to a T.

But, um...how did they this feature film pass me by? I hadn't heard a word about it.

And no offense to the US but, who's making it? I really hope that the genius of Douglas Adams is not sullied in the same way as the ideals of Rob Grant and Doug Naylor with the American 'interpretation' of Red Dwarf was.

Posts: 200 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
I always pictured him as square and kind of outdated.
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
karen.elizabeth
Member # 6345

- posted      Profile for karen.elizabeth   Email karen.elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
You know, I've only just picked up the book about three months ago, so I'm sitting here trying to remember who Marvin is. It wasn't until I saw the original BBC one that I went, "Oh, MARVIN!"

So I guess that I'm one of the ones who pictured him square. :-P.

I never picked up on him being that short. Though I did imagine that he would be sort of white and clean-looking.

Posts: 45 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
The picture looks like a Storm-Trooper meets Dragonball.
Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.