FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Karaoke's Heir Apparent (Be Afraid...)

Author Topic: Karaoke's Heir Apparent (Be Afraid...)
sndrake
Member # 4941

- posted      Profile for sndrake   Email sndrake         Edit/Delete Post 
I realized I'd been posting mostly serious and kind of annoying stuff today. Decided it was time for some fluff. Scary fluff, but fluff!

[Big Grin]
Can't Sing? Try 'Movioke'

quote:
NEW YORK (AP) -- Remember the scene from "When Harry Met Sally ..." when Billy Crystal and Meg Ryan are sitting at the diner? Or when Jack Nicholson exclaims "You can't handle the truth!" to Tom Cruise in "A Few Good Men"?

Or how about the dance number in "Flashdance" when Jennifer Beals gyrates around in leg warmers to the song "Maniac"?

Anastasia Fite knows them all -- and acts them out on stage at "movieoke," which is essentially like karaoke but with movie scenes instead of songs.

Fite, 24, runs the event out of a campy little theater called the Den of Cin in downtown Manhattan on Wednesday nights.

In other words, we can now look forward to having the opportunity to watch some of our favorite movie scenes trashed in bars - or do the trashing ourselves!

But it's pretty equal opportunity - you don't have to carry a tune to participate. But then again, that doesn't stop some karaoke performers, either, does it? [Smile]

Posts: 4344 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
I did an abridged movieoke of Return of the Jedi for my friends once. They all enjoyed it. The question is, why did I do it? If I remember correctly, I think I was on a date, and my date hadn't seen it. She seemed to enjoy it, too, but she didn't go out with me again after that.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Trogdor the Burninator
Member # 4894

- posted      Profile for Trogdor the Burninator   Email Trogdor the Burninator         Edit/Delete Post 
My 4-year-old daughter has the whole scene from Finding Nemo where Marlon meets Dory for the first time down perfectly -- the pauses, the vocal intonation, everything. She cracks us up every time she does it.
Posts: 1481 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cochick
Member # 6167

- posted      Profile for cochick   Email cochick         Edit/Delete Post 
Trog has a little dragonette - awh cute!!!

At one time I could quote the scene where Russell Crow confronts Joaquin Phoenix in Gladiator. The "My name is Maximus Desimus Meridius..." one.

I was a big Gladiator fan - even named my car Max

This also reminds me that a couple of friends and I used to act out scenes from Omen when I was at School - can't remember why?

Posts: 394 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
I would *LOVE* to do this with The Princess Bride.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shameless Self-Promotion
Member # 4919

- posted      Profile for Shameless Self-Promotion   Email Shameless Self-Promotion         Edit/Delete Post 
My wife does do that with The Princess Bride on a regular basis.
Posts: 45 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cochick
Member # 6167

- posted      Profile for cochick   Email cochick         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh yeah:

"marriage, love, true love"

"my name is inigo montuoya, you killed my father, prepare to die"

"as you wish"

Posts: 394 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
I foresee many bad Christopher Walken impressions in my future.

"Your talking to my boy all wrong. It's the wrong tone. No apologize, or I'll stab you in the face with a soldering iron."

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sndrake
Member # 4941

quote:
My 4-year-old daughter has the whole scene from Finding Nemo where Marlon meets Dory for the first time down perfectly -- the pauses, the vocal intonation, everything. She cracks us up every time she does it.

Trog,

I think it's great when talented 4-year-olds of any age have favorite scenes and can perform them. Heck, when I was two years old, my parents would set me up on a table and I'd recite favorite commercials (I was a weird kid).

But this could make it unsafe to walk into a bar. One could walk in and find oneself confronted with scenes from your favorite movies slurred beyond recognition by some partier on his or her 4th beer.

Be fun to take a bunch of people I used to hang out with. Not so many years ago, most of my friends were people with labels like Aspergers and "high-functioning" autism.

Guess what movie they all had memorized?

Rainman. [Big Grin]

(In spite of the grin, it's true. I swear.)

Posts: 4344 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aka
Member # 139

- posted      Profile for aka   Email aka         Edit/Delete Post 
My little brother can do the whole bit from On the Waterfront, "My night! I coulda BEEN somebody! I coulda been a contender!" I love to hear him do it. I think it's hilarious.

My dad used to do the bit from Hamlet with the gravediggers, <cockney voice> "A tanner'll last ye nine year"
<lordly voice>"Why he, more than another?"
<cockney voice>"Well sir, a tanner's hide is so tanned with his trade that it'll keep out water a great while. And water's a sore decayer of your whoreson dead body."... etc.

He also could recite the latin thing the priest used to say when he gave each person a communion wafer. He would spit it out very quickly the same way the priests used to do. <laughs>

Yeah, my dad was a weirdo. [Smile]

The other thing I remember him reciting was some scary bigbrotheristic type spiel from an education class about how education was for making people conform in thought and action to society's ideal or something like that.

He never did learn any digits of pi, that I know of, though. So he wasn't clinical or anything. [Razz]

Posts: 5509 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought(seriously) that movieoke was doing dance moves instead of singing.
Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sndrake
Member # 4941

Well, I realized that at least one movie has been getting this treatment for a long time - at least 25 years.

The Rocky Horror Picture Show!

Not sure movieoke could match that, though.

Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
Don't forget Star Warts.
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, I do this all the time... with MANY movies! Just ask my friends, it is much to their chagrin that I am constantly quoting movies... [Wink]
Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sndrake
Member # 4941

*It's just a jump to the left."
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
When my wife was deliriously sick in Thailand and we didn't have a TV or radio or anything else to draw her attention away from how terrible she was feeling, I acted out So I Married an Axe Murdererin its entirity. It succeeded in distracting her from whatever it was that she had.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
I think I've done this more times then I have created new cells, everything from Simpsons to JFK to Kundun and on.

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.