FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » LA Times Festival of Books (Yet another So-Cal Thread)

Author Topic: LA Times Festival of Books (Yet another So-Cal Thread)
docmagik
Member # 1131

- posted      Profile for docmagik   Email docmagik         Edit/Delete Post 
Since I'm guessing the pricing will prevent many of us from going to this, I was wondering if any So-Cal Hatrackers were planning to attend this year's LA Times Festival of Books.

Although the full list isn't up yet, it already includes Ray Bradbury, William Gibson, Timothy Zahn, Ray Harryhausen, and Clive Barker.

The dates are April 24 & 25th at UCLA.

Anybody up for it?

Posts: 1894 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Every year I intend to go; every year I don't make it. Meeting Hatrackers there should be enough to actually get me there. [Big Grin]

If y'all decide on Saturday, though, I'll have to bow out. But make it Sunday, and I'm there!

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fallow
Member # 6268

- posted      Profile for fallow   Email fallow         Edit/Delete Post 
Is this at Ackerman? I'd like to meet some Hatrackers, if someone could gimme a reminder the week prior.
Posts: 3061 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
Ah, memories. 'Twas at the festival of books that I met Slash & wife, dean, Mikey, and OlavMah, at the second Hatrack SoCal picnic (before the days of Shindae). I'd like to go if it means meeting up with Hatrackers, but I can't make any guarantees for something that far in advance.

Of course, shortly after I met those folk, they all fled the state. I'd like to think maybe it was the book festival that caused it, rather than it being my fault, but maybe for the sake of SoCal in general I should bow out. Anyway, I have no answer at this time regardless. I'd appreciate if you keep updating this thread with more finalized plans, though, so I know where to go if I go.

--Pop

Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
docmagik
Member # 1131

Pop, if meeting with you there would be my ticket out of California, then I hereby demand that you go.
Posts: 1894 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

YO! Are we doing this, or what?

If so, how does Sunday afternoon sound? Anyone?

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fallow
Member # 6268

*breaks huddle*

*high fives rivka*

YES!

*looks around for something to smash head into*

Posts: 3061 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 5538

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose           Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think I'm gonna be able to make it this weekend. Sorry.

Hey, doc -- two missionaries came to my door, and they didn't know "In the Leafy Treetops." Only one of the two had even heard of it! What kind of place are you people running nowadays?

--Pop

Posts: 15 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Ah, well. We'll miss you folks, Pop.

docmagik, this was your suggestion -- are y'all going to make it?

saxon75
Member # 4589

- posted      Profile for saxon75           Edit/Delete Post 
We're going to be out of town this weekend, but I hope you cats have fun.
Posts: 4534 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
UofUlawguy
Member # 5492

- posted      Profile for UofUlawguy   Email UofUlawguy         Edit/Delete Post 
Obviously, those missionaries were complete slackers in their Primary days. Not knowing In the Leafy Treetops, indeed.
Posts: 1652 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
docmagik
Member # 1131

Pop, the church has been leaning more towards primary songs that feature actual gospel messages about Jesus or kindness or some such. In the leafy treetops has kind of fallen by the wayside since it's only about singin' birds and nodding flowers.

Well, that and bad things happening to mean teachers.

As for Sunday, it does not look like I'm going to be able to go. Since the fine folks at Dell insured I would be without a computer from the first until today, I didn't know if I'd even be able to follow up on this at all, and I reluctantly let my wife engage us.

rivka
Member # 4859

*sigh*

fallow, how definite is it that you're going? And are you going to mind the fact that if I come, I'll have three kids in tow, and will mostly want to go to kid-oriented stuff?

I'm kinda tempted to forget the whole thing. [Dont Know]

rivka
Member # 4859

Sorry, fallow. Gonna have to count us out, too. The ex wants to take the kids (each one separately) for a while on Sunday -- and to specific places hereabouts. That takes priority.
Valentine014
Member # 5981

- posted      Profile for Valentine014           Edit/Delete Post 
Darn, rivka. I was thinking about asking you if you'd get Ray Bradbury to sign a hardback copy of Something Wicked This Way Comes for me.
Posts: 2064 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Sorry 'bout that. Don't know that I would've made it anywhere other than the kids' stages, though.

Bradbury does readings at some of the local libraries sometimes. My mom's heard him several times. I'll try to keep an ear out.

fallow
Member # 6268

oh.

I noticed today that the booths are set up right outside where I work temporarily (just next to the IPAM building). I figured I could go into lab and get some work done and meet you out there whenever it was convenient.

darnit.

If your schedule permits or you have a change of plans, lemme know, drop me an email or something. I'll probably be on campus on Sunday.

fallow

docmagik
Member # 1131

I think I read on the site that Bradbury isn't going to be doing any signing.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.