FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » How I met Howard Shore - Now with Pictures!

Author Topic: How I met Howard Shore - Now with Pictures!
Lime
Member # 1707

- posted      Profile for Lime   Email Lime         Edit/Delete Post 
We've set up a table for you to stack all your envy upon just to your left. I've got some finger food circulating through the living room, so please grab some champagne and enjoy yourself.

Jules and I have had tickets for the American Premiere of the Lord of the Rings Symphony since we heard that they were going on sale. The concert was in Columbus, Ohio, and featured the CSO as well as two choirs (a boy's choir and a full choir) conducted by Howard Shore. It was scheduled for March 26th, and we got seats in the center of the second row of the first balcony.

We left Rockford painfully early on Friday morning and made the drive to Columbus in 7 hours. Thankfully, a friend that was accompanying us knew someone who is going to OSU, and she graciously let us stay at her apartment.

The single largest snag the weekend had was realizing 3/4ths of the way there that both my and Julie's dress clothing were hanging very neatly on our bedroom door. So we made a quick run through Khol's and found some suitable replacements (I needed new khaki's anyway).

We got there about a half an hour before the lights went down and split up to find our seats (our host and her boyfriend had seats in a different part of the theatre, which turned out to be a very, very Good Thing*).

The concert itself is the single coolest music-related moment in my life to date. None of the cast that sang on the score was there, unfortunately, but watching Howard Shore conduct his symphony beneath 3 large projection screens that was filled with appropriate sketches and artwork by Alan Lee and John Howe was unbelieveably cool enough by itself. The CSO was excellent, and the boy's choir and the regular choir aquitted themselves quite well. I felt especially bad for the 11 year old tenor soloist who was performing in front of the largest audience he'd ever done, and went flat several times in his first solo because of nerves.

*I do mean Good Thing - they discovered through the people sitting behind them that Howard Shore would be at a Virgin Megastore the next day, doing a signing. Apparently, the only advertisement for this signing was a 8.5x11 inch piece of paper someone had tacked up over one of the 38 exits to the concert hall.

So the next day, all of us piled into a car and drove over. Julie introduced all of us as music majors (I was the only exception) and he talked to us for a bit about a South African double-reed instrument that he got to use when composing the score, which he was quite excited about. He was very kind and shy - he posed for a few pictures with us and shook each of our hands as we left. I'll post the pictures when the film gets developed (today or tomorrow).

That was my weekend. Our autographed programs and our ticket stubs are going into a frame this week, along with the picture.

[ March 31, 2004, 11:22 PM: Message edited by: Lime ]

Posts: 753 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, wow. *in paroxysms of envy*

And I lost my ROTK CD. [Frown] I hate to buy another one - I paid for it already! But I miss the music.

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BYuCnslr
Member # 1857

- posted      Profile for BYuCnslr   Email BYuCnslr         Edit/Delete Post 
:: thwacks ::
You're in Rockford, Illinois?! You didn't take me with you?!? :: gasp ::
Lucky kids.

Btw, in two weeks Mayday (hopefully), Zevlag, and hopefully Knightswhosayni are gonna come to Beloit, care to come up too?
Satyagraha

Posts: 1986 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
knightswhosayni!
Member # 4096

- posted      Profile for knightswhosayni!   Email knightswhosayni!         Edit/Delete Post 
Bernard, dear, there's no way I'm coming to Beloit with my schedule like it is. Jeni and Josh wanted to come here, and you and mayday are welcome.

Ni!

Posts: 828 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
I think that Shan, Abrynne and I are thinking of going to the Seattle performance in July.

(And anyone else who wants to come!! [Smile] )

I'm excited.

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zevlag
Member # 1405

- posted      Profile for Zevlag           Edit/Delete Post 
Lime, that's so cool!

That reminds me, I need to find my CD's, been a while since I have used them ( I listen to my MP3's!)

Posts: 2102 | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lime
Member # 1707

BYuCnslr, if you had a ticket and I knew you were in the area, we'd have carpooled.

Narnia - do absolutely everything in your power to secure seats for any and all performances. I'm hoping that they'll release a recording of one of the performances on CD, as there is some new material (just transitions, but it's still nice to sit up a bit more in your seat because of some new music). And it's really, really cool. [Wink]

Posts: 753 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vána
Member # 3262

- posted      Profile for Vána   Email Vána         Edit/Delete Post 
BYuCnslr, where do you live? I had no idea you were in the area.

As for Beloit - isn't that Easter weekend? What will you be doing in Beloit? I think we have plans for that Saturday, but I'm not sure...give us more info! [Smile]

Posts: 2661 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jenny Gardener
Member # 903

- posted      Profile for Jenny Gardener   Email Jenny Gardener         Edit/Delete Post 
*drools*

Wow! I bet the concert was wonderful. I'm looking forward to your pictures!

Posts: 3141 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BYuCnslr
Member # 1857

- posted      Profile for BYuCnslr   Email BYuCnslr         Edit/Delete Post 
:-D

I'm picking Mayday up at the airport this Friday, we're spending some time together in Chicago, and then coming back to Beloit via the Van Galder bus (bus stop next to the Candlewood) on Sunday. She then leaves Thursday morning. Jeni was talking about going to the Tolkien collection in Milwaukee on Wednesday night when they have presentations.
Satyagraha

Posts: 1986 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lime
Member # 1707

Here are the pictures!

Dramatic action shot of the store's sign.

The display welcoming us to the signing.

Overhead shot of the line.

Closer line shot; Mr. Shore has just finished signing someone's program.

The proof. I have no regrets, even if Mr. Shore does think I'm a double-reed music major.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.