FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Do you read PDF books?

Author Topic: Do you read PDF books?
Robespierre
Member # 5779

- posted      Profile for Robespierre   Email Robespierre         Edit/Delete Post 
I have always had a tough time reading from a computer screen for long periods of time. Specifically, reading books or very long articles. Do you guys have any tricks or advice on how to get better accustomed to this style of reading?

The book that has me back at the terminal is Lawrence Lessig's Free Culture. Check this out if you haven't already, its an intelligent discussion of intellectual property rights and the effects of the internet and technology on culture.

Posts: 859 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zamphyr
Member # 6213

- posted      Profile for Zamphyr           Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, I love ebooks. I've read hundreds of them, in all formats. Reading at a terminal for long periods can be tough. I highly recomend picking up a cheap, old laptop. Even a clunky, old P-90 is good for ebooks and web surfing.

Barring a laptop, the only tips I have are: Make sure you have a comfortable chair, and find the perfect font size/zoom level for the document you are reading. I've found the type can vary greatly from file to file depending on the font used.

Posts: 349 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mabus
Member # 6320

- posted      Profile for Mabus   Email Mabus         Edit/Delete Post 
I read e-books all the time. I do occasionally suffer achy necks and such after a long period at the computer, but while I'm reading I don't find it that different from reading a paper book. (And, for that matter, I sometimes have an achy back from looking down at a paper book.)
Posts: 1114 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
I do, but not on my monitor. I use Adobe Acrobat to convert 'em to text, then read them on my Palm.
Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
slacker
Member # 2559

- posted      Profile for slacker   Email slacker         Edit/Delete Post 
I read ebooks all the time, too, but I've found tha it's easiest for me to read ebooks on my Dell PDA. Otherwise, I get too tempted to play games and other stuff instead of doing the reading that I set out to do.
Posts: 851 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.