FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Why start? (Page 0)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Why start?
Toretha
Member # 2233

- posted      Profile for Toretha   Email Toretha         Edit/Delete Post 
Did you also check to be sure it's also a government in which all people are entitled to equal treatment?

And how do you respond to the ethical argument?

And fallow-relevance? This is about being forced to be around it. No one forces me to be around campfires to go into a resturant, or to go to work in the morning. I do react poorly to campfires. I would probably have the same problems at my current level of sensitivity. At my usual level, I've been around them and been fine as long as I stayed upwind and didn't stay around them too long. But due to smokers, It's been slightly less than a year since I've been anywhere approaching my usual level of health.

[ April 04, 2004, 12:15 AM: Message edited by: Toretha ]

Posts: 3493 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SoberTillNoon
Member # 6170

- posted      Profile for SoberTillNoon   Email SoberTillNoon         Edit/Delete Post 
How is it equal to make people stop smoking?

You seem to think that my point is not coherent enough to withstand small points like that, but believe you me, I am in for the long haul.

[ April 04, 2004, 12:14 AM: Message edited by: SoberTillNoon ]

Posts: 262 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Toretha
Member # 2233

its not making them stop smoking. It's making them take their smoking away from other people, so it doesn't injure them.

That aside, smoking is a choice. So if you choose to smoke, you subject yourself to the limitations inherent of it. Why should others have to pay because you don't want to stop?

[ April 04, 2004, 12:20 AM: Message edited by: Toretha ]

Posts: 3493 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fallow
Member # 6268

- posted      Profile for fallow   Email fallow         Edit/Delete Post 
I think the question raised by the thread originator has gotten lost, but there are quite a few interesting points that have been raised. I'd personally like to see some of them explored.

why did I start?

Idle curiosity and a penchant for self-destruction on an emotionally cloudy day. I had no idea where that would lead.

fallow

Posts: 3061 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
StN, who's trying to make smokers stop smoking? Smoke all you want -- away from me, and Toretha, and the MANY others who are harmed by your smoke.

Interesting that you claimed this in the first post:
quote:
I don't smoke. In fact, all that propoganda the public schools send out actually worked on one person. I don't want to smoke, and I suppose that is good for me.

You seem awfully defensive for someone who doesn't smoke.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lara
Member # 132

- posted      Profile for Lara   Email Lara         Edit/Delete Post 
If you do smoke and it's a part of your life it's probably difficult to be objective about the issue. If protecting your own health isn't important enough to make you stop, protecting someone else's isn't going to be either.

I didn't even try to follow the original subject. I don't smoke, I was lucky to never really be exposed to cigarettes. Actually, I associate the smell of cigarettes with summertime things like fairs and amusement parks for some reason.

Posts: 377 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SoberTillNoon
Member # 6170

- posted      Profile for SoberTillNoon   Email SoberTillNoon         Edit/Delete Post 
I just feel that a large group of people should not be told how to behave by a smaller group. And yes, people are saying stop smoking. When one can not smoke in public, they are being told not to smoke. I know smoke is harmful, but if you are one of the few who cannot take it for a brief peroid, go somewhere else. You should not be able to say that others should not smoke in your presence.

[ April 04, 2004, 12:30 AM: Message edited by: SoberTillNoon ]

Posts: 262 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Avadaru
Member # 3026

- posted      Profile for Avadaru   Email Avadaru         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
You should not be able to say that others should not smoke in your presence.

Yeah, you should.
Posts: 1225 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rappin' Ronnie Reagan
Member # 5626

- posted      Profile for Rappin' Ronnie Reagan   Email Rappin' Ronnie Reagan         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Last I checked this was a democracy, where the majority rules.

The U.S. is a democratic republic. The majority doesn't always rule.
Posts: 1658 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lara
Member # 132

Oh, boy. Here we go.
Posts: 377 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SoberTillNoon
Member # 6170

Okay, so that was not the best line in the world, but you know what I am saying.

And no, if three people are smoking, you should not say, stop. You should walk away, or hold your breath while passing.

[ April 04, 2004, 12:37 AM: Message edited by: SoberTillNoon ]

Toretha
Member # 2233

its not always a brief period, and its not always an option to go elsewhere. And there are places to smoke-your own house, stuff like that. It's just slightly more effort. And WHY should you not be able to say that?

[ April 04, 2004, 12:38 AM: Message edited by: Toretha ]

Stan the man
Member # 6249

- posted      Profile for Stan the man   Email Stan the man         Edit/Delete Post 
Avadaru is right on that one w/in reason. If a non-smoker is in a DESIGNATED smoking area, then it is N/A. If you have a reaction to smoke, then you should not be there. In UNDESIGNATED areas then tell them not to smoke in your presence. By all means you should look out for your own health, but don't expect everybody to know your specific condition.

quote:
Oh, boy. Here we go.
[ROFL]

[ April 04, 2004, 12:37 AM: Message edited by: Stan the man ]

Posts: 2208 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rappin' Ronnie Reagan
Member # 5626

- posted      Profile for Rappin' Ronnie Reagan   Email Rappin' Ronnie Reagan         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Okay, so that was not the best line in the world, but you know what I am saying.
That it doesn't matter at all that some people get very sick because some other people want to blacken their lungs with cancer sticks?

edit: directed at Sober. Hmm... okay maybe this post is in bad taste, but I don't want to edit my mistake away, so I'll leave it as it is.

another edit: I'll add a quote to make it clearer.

[ April 04, 2004, 12:39 AM: Message edited by: Rappin' Ronnie Reagan ]

Posts: 1658 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fallow
Member # 6268

Of course you should. And you should be able to find a seat on a plane not overflowing with someone's inability to control their caloric intake.

[Wall Bash]

Posts: 3061 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

There are relatively few who are affected to the degree that Toretha is, true. However, they are not merely affected -- the affect is debilitating.

And there are MANY who are immediately affected to a lesser degree. And everyone in the vicinity has long-term health affects.

Smoking is harmful to those around you (not to mention to the smoker themselves!). It is NOT a NEED or RIGHT. Breathing IS.

And no, requiring smokers to smoke outdoors (or in specific areas) is not telling them not to smoke. Banning cigarettes would be; and I am not in favor of that.

Oh, and fallow, I support legislation reducing the use of diesel fuel too. [Smile]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SoberTillNoon
Member # 6170

Smoking outside at office bulidings is reasonable. Working is something that needs to be done. However in restaurantes, there should be a non-smoking section and be done.

[ April 04, 2004, 12:41 AM: Message edited by: SoberTillNoon ]

Stan the man
Member # 6249

- posted      Profile for Stan the man   Email Stan the man         Edit/Delete Post 
Except that the non-smoking section is inadequate. There is no true boundry to stop the smoke.
Posts: 2208 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Toretha
Member # 2233

smoke drifts over regardless of where you sit! Seperating seating doesn't do much good.
rivka
Member # 4859

And what of the people who work in the restaurants? And the fact that the smoke travels outside the smoking-area?
Stan the man
Member # 6249

quote:
And what of the people who work in the restaurants?
I may agree, but some restaurants have the staff members that smoke work in the smoking section. Not a bad idea, until you reach the fact that you may not have enough to cover a section.
SoberTillNoon
Member # 6170

okay, see, you chose to work there, knowing that people are going to smoke. Bounderies could be better set. The smoke-allergic could be given a small room.

[ April 04, 2004, 12:48 AM: Message edited by: SoberTillNoon ]

fallow
Member # 6268

rivka,

but diesel is so cool. I loved XXX, and my $120 jeans are the sweetest. my bum looks good in 'em.

*cough*

fallow

Stan the man
Member # 6249

StN, then you outcast them? If I were them I would black list the place. I am a smoker, but smokers are not a vast majority.

Edit to say : XXX stunk

[ April 04, 2004, 12:57 AM: Message edited by: Stan the man ]

Toretha
Member # 2233

you choose to smoke, knowing it could hurt people. People are, under federal law supposed to be able to take any job they're qualified for, unhindered by disabilities that can be worked around
Mrs.M
Member # 2943

- posted      Profile for Mrs.M   Email Mrs.M         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, let's try looking at this from another perspective regarding accommodation.

I have a friend who is as allergic to dogs as Toretha is to smoke. She can never come to my house and I have to make sure to wear freshly-laundered clothing when I visit her. She has her own office, but has to avoid co-workers who have dogs because the hair on their clothing makes her sick. She cannot go to public parks because everyone brings their dogs. She had to leave the Watermelon Festival because people brought their dogs.

Would it be reasonable for her to demand that dogs be banned from parks and the Watermelon Festival? What level of accommodation should she demand?

Posts: 3037 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stan the man
Member # 6249

Apples and oranges. Cigs affect (harmfully) everyone that is around them. Dogs don't.
fallow
Member # 6268

I once chewed a stick of that nicorette gum while I was playing outfield during a softball game. The itching on my palms and soles got a little distracting - missed a few key plays. I had to ask one of my teammates to take me to the ER. I turned into like the michelin man. I couldn't open my eyes OR breathe. Then I got an adrenaline shot. It was sweet! All back to normal and stuff. Dunno if it was the nicorette, but I'm not going near that stuff ever again!

fallow

Stan the man
Member # 6249

"Tried the patch. It kept sticking to my lips. Tried the gum. I couldn't keep it lit." -Bill Engvall
Mrs.M
Member # 2943

Whether or not second hand smoke is dangerous to everyone is debatable.

Edit for clarity.

[ April 04, 2004, 01:18 AM: Message edited by: Mrs.M ]

Posts: 3037 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stan the man
Member # 6249

Where? As far as I know Carcinogens (sp?) are bad for everyone. Goes with the alpha particles inhaled as well.
Lara
Member # 132

quote:
"Tried the patch. It kept sticking to my lips. Tried the gum. I couldn't keep it lit." -Bill Engvall
[ROFL]
vwiggin
Member # 926

- posted      Profile for vwiggin   Email vwiggin         Edit/Delete Post 
non-smoker: Please stop. Did you know that second-hand smoke is even more harmful to a person than first-hand smoke?

Smoker: Well, looks like I made the right choice.

Forgot what movie that was from, but that exchange always craks me up.

Posts: 1592 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Toretha
Member # 2233

How many dogs are there in resturants? or workplaces?
Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

- posted      Profile for Bob the Lawyer   Email Bob the Lawyer         Edit/Delete Post 
Having smoking and nonsmoking sections in a restaurant is like having a peeing and nonpeeing section of a pool.

Sorry if someone aldready said that, I admit I only quickly skimmed the thread.

Posts: 3243 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
MrsM is right inasmuch as there is such a wide variety of quality and quantity of secondhand smoke, and the fact that different people have different capacities to tolerate particles in the air. The subject of what constitutes 'good' air quality and 'bad' air quality *is* the subject of much debate.
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mrs.M
Member # 2943

Stormy, that's exactly what I meant.
Lara
Member # 132

quote:
Having smoking and nonsmoking sections in a restaurant is like having a peeing and nonpeeing section of a pool.
[ROFL]

I think you'll get an argument that boils down too- no, peeing in a pool is really, really gross. Smoking is just a little bit gross, and to a much smaller population.

Mrs.M
Member # 2943

quote:
How many dogs are there in resturants? or workplaces?
Almost none, but there are tons of dogs on the streets and public parks. Sarah cannot go to the parks that her taxes help to maintain. Even walking from her apartment to her car can be an ordeal for her if people are out walking their dogs. She has to leave her house every day - there is no way that she can avoid it. She has to work with people who own dogs - there is no way that she can avoid that. Does she have the right to demand that her neighbors and co-workers give up their pets?

My point is this, I feel that the government forcing people to limit personal freedoms like smoking and pet ownership is dangerous. I feel that the government regulating what people can and cannot do on their personal property is dangerous.

SoberTillNoon
Member # 6170

Wait, I just realized something very important! You are never going to convince me, and I am never going to convince you. Phew, that makes things much simpler for me.

Mrs.M, I pass the buck, for I cannot take this anymore. Sorry to leave you alone - seeing that you are the only other person to share my point, so I am, indeed, leaving you alone - but I have had enough.

romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post 
Sometimes you cannot just choose to walk away from second hand smoke. What if I am taking the bus, and it is raining, and someone is under the bus shelter smoking. Which do I chooses, to get drenched and perhaps get sick, or stay under the bus shelter and perhaps get an asthma attack from the smoke? And what if I have my children with me? It is very selfish for the smoker to expect another to get wet, or get sick, because they need their fix.

In our county, only bars are allowed to have smoking sections. The restaurants are smoke free. More and more bars are eliminating smking altogether too. This is because non smokers will usually not go somwhere with a smoking section. I won't is BAD BUSINESS for bars to allow smoking, and bar owners are responding.

Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SoberTillNoon
Member # 6170

Wants... to... leave... thread... behind... but... is finding it... hard.... Must... resist.
Toretha
Member # 2233

Also, there's a big difference between owning a dog and smoking. Smoking hurts everyone, including the person smoking. Owning a dog has a number of good sides, and dogs have a number of other used-seeing eye dogs, therapy dogs, all that. Please, show me all the great good smoking does to counterbalance the bad?
Mrs.M
Member # 2943

Okay. I'm going to leave this thread. I am getting frustrated. I feel like I'm not being respected or listened to.

Here are my final thoughts:

1. I don't believe that smoking is harmful to every non-smoker. I grew up in a family that smoked, as did my husband, brother-in-law, and their cousins. None of us have any respiratory problems or any of the other problems associated with exposure to second-hand smoke. The 1993 EPA study that started the furor about second-hand smoke has been discredited.

2. Smoking does have benefits to smokers. I smoked for 5 years and it kept me thin and relaxed. I quit 5.5 years ago and I still miss it. I have not found anything that makes me feel as calm and happy as smoking did.

3. As I've said before, I feel that the government forcing people to limit personal freedoms like smoking and pet ownership is dangerous. I feel that the government regulating what people can and cannot do on their personal property is dangerous.

Toretha
Member # 2233

but this isn't about what people can do on their personal property. Its about what they can do in public places. And you've not shown how keeping a smoker thin and relaxed balances out cancer potential, or the harm it does to other people. Smoking fails a basic cost benefit anaylsis that dogs pass.

I'm sorry if you feel like you're not being listened to, because I am reading and thinking about what you say. But I just can't see how it balances out.

[ April 05, 2004, 12:01 AM: Message edited by: Toretha ]

fallow
Member # 6268

toretha,

I think the title of the thread clearly reads "why start?"

I think the private/public debate is an interesting question, well no, it's not. It's kind of a nobrainer as I think the posts here demonstrate.

fallow

Stan the man
Member # 6249

Tobacco keeps you thin because it is an eating depressant. Calm....When you have the amount of nicotine in your body that it craves yes. Try not smoking for a day and see how calm you are. I realize you quit, but imagine how long that would last. I did this and lasted 7 hours w/o a cigarette. When my mind is occupied I can go all day without a cigarette. I don't feel to well the next day, but I can. It is also one heck of a buzz after the first cigarette.

I do believe that you should smoke on your private property. My property is my property. I smoke if I want to. However, the house I am at right now is owned by a smoker. Three of four of us are smokers that live in the house. It has been a house rule not to smoke in the house even before the non-smoker moved in. He'll go eat w/ us and sit in the smoking section. As long as we don't blow it in his direction, he doesn't mind.

As far as benefits.....could you have run a mile and a half w/o running short of breath when you smoked? I used to run a nine minute mile and a half before I smoked, and no shortness of breath. Now I run it around 12 minutes 30 seconds.

Test your blood pressure w/o a smoke. Have a cigarette, then test your blood pressure again. During this time keep your attitude and stress levels at what you would say as same. The results are different. Smoking will actually raise your blood pressure.

[ April 05, 2004, 01:24 AM: Message edited by: Stan the man ]

Toretha
Member # 2233

Fallow- threads have changed directions before and will again.

And if its such a no brainer, why do so many people seem to be disagreeing?

ak
Member # 90

- posted      Profile for ak   Email ak         Edit/Delete Post 
I have a confession to make. I think less of people when I hear they smoke. Realize that I used to be a smoker (25 pack years) and both my parents were, all my aunts and uncles (except one pair who quit), and my older brother (who also quit). When I was in high school and college nearly all my friends smoked. When I started work, smoking was still allowed in the workplace and I smoked away, totally oblivious of my effect on nonsmokers.

I know what addiction is like. I remember one time nearly going postal in the Toronto airport because after you get through customs but before you board your plane there is no place you can smoke. Not without going back out to the point that you will have to go through customs again, which takes an unknown length of time depending on the line, and so can't be risked.

Addiction changes your brain. It changes the mechanism inside the pleasure centers of your brain to reward the addiction, and in the process it also dulls the pleasure your brain is able to feel from everyday life. That is why, for instance, heroin addicts care more about heroin than they do about their children, parents, spouses, etc. The reward circuitry in their brains has been coopted away from love, honor, family and so on and toward the next hit. This is also why they get character problems, even if they had a good character before.

Nicotine does this neurochemical change to a much lesser degree, and yet it still does it a bit. Recovering nicotine addicts do experience depression, anxiety, irritability, and so on due to these neurological effects. They also care somewhat less about the things that bring other people joy. Their brains are trained away from those things, to a (luckily) mild extent.

So naturally they resist mightily any suggestion that they should give up their drug, and in addition to that, they are affected a little bit less by the suffering and needs of other people.

I have loads of admiration for Mrs. M. Like any prejudice it only applies to non-specific people. (I also love my mom a whole lot.) But it grieves me to hear that anyone smokes, and yes I tend to think less of people who do. I don't think it's a very honorable thing to do, smoking. And the idea of kissing a smoker is revolting to me, for instance.

So I guess this post is to urge people to please please quit, not because you are being forced to, but because you yourself choose not to have your brain taken over in that way. And because smoking is really icky. Switch to the patch, even, which decreases the damage to your lungs, and protects those around you from the ill-effects of your addiction. Then taper down off the patch for your own sake, so you'll know that you can do it, that you have that strength, and so you'll be free.

And I'll try to work on my prejudice, too. I'm sorry. It's wrong of me to feel that way about smokers. I will try to do better.

Posts: 2843 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SoberTillNoon
Member # 6170

That's a good point. Let that be a lesson to all of us.

Next caller, you're on Chatterbox.

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.