FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Janet Jackson

Author Topic: Janet Jackson
A Rat Named Dog
Member # 699

- posted      Profile for A Rat Named Dog   Email A Rat Named Dog         Edit/Delete Post 
In an interview this morning, she said about nine times in a row, "I have to be who I am. Nobody can ever change that."

Except a team of plastic surgeons?

Posts: 1907 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
St. Yogi
Member # 5974

- posted      Profile for St. Yogi   Email St. Yogi         Edit/Delete Post 
Don't judge a book by it's cover.

She probably wasn't talking about looks. I mean, just because she has made a choice to change her appearance doesn't mean she changes as a person.

Posts: 739 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sndrake
Member # 4941

- posted      Profile for sndrake   Email sndrake         Edit/Delete Post 
But even with the surgeons, you really have to want to change. [Wink]
Posts: 4344 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
and be able to pay for it.....over and over again...
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
I figured she was just donating parts of herself to Michael. Like maybe they could change him back into a human.
Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, but there was a mix-up. Now they both have to share a nose.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jenny Gardener
Member # 903

- posted      Profile for Jenny Gardener   Email Jenny Gardener         Edit/Delete Post 
Rat-Dog,

She's probably dealing with identity issues right now. I read that quote, and the comment that she said it nine times, and I empathize with her. Perhaps she's coming to grips with being a public persona and all the dissociation from self that must occur to survive in that environment. Part of her Self is still flailing about, trying to survive. I'm sure it's not easy, being that famous and in the public eye. Who's to say how much of what you do and how you appear is yourself, how much is your publicist, and how much is who people want you to be?

Posts: 3141 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
msquared
Member # 4484

- posted      Profile for msquared   Email msquared         Edit/Delete Post 
Come on the lady has been in the public light since she was a toddler. She is 37 years old. To claim that she does not know how publicity and fame works/hurts you is a sham at this point.

msquared

Posts: 1907 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jenny Gardener
Member # 903

- posted      Profile for Jenny Gardener   Email Jenny Gardener         Edit/Delete Post 
No, I don't think so. If she has indeed been in the public eye since toddlerhood, she probably has very SERIOUS identity issues. She hasn't been allowed to be just herself for an incredibly long time.

I don't think it's fair to make fun of someone who is making potentially self-destructive choices and living a life alien to yours. Some compassion is called for.

Why are we so quick to make fun of Janet Jackson, or to criticize her? Why is it so easy to tear down celebrities in ways we wouldn't dream of doing to people we know better?

Posts: 3141 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mockingbird
Member # 5640

- posted      Profile for Mockingbird   Email Mockingbird         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmph. I don't believe for one minute that "being who I am" included the breast display at the Super Bowl halftime show. That was done for financial motives (publicity for the upcoming album) and possibly also to take some attention away from brother Michael. Now it's come back to bite her: public backlash; loss of major TV role playing Lena Horne (if I remember correctly). She's trying to deflect the criticism by making it an issue of personal expression.

"Confused" is the right description for her. Truth be told, I do feel a little sorry for her. Her life's been tough in some ways, and it's not all her fault. Nevertheless I keep hoping and praying that her sales will tank and she'll lose more than she gained from that halftime episode, if only to make other celebrities think twice before pulling morally deficient stunts for publicity's sake.

Posts: 27 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
msquared
Member # 4484

- posted      Profile for msquared   Email msquared         Edit/Delete Post 
I would criticize my neighbors daughter for flashing at a local football game as much as I would criticize Janet.

When I hear Janet whine about how her life is not normal, I think, it is normal for her. She has lived that life since she can remember. Her whole family has examples of what not to do.

However, in the case of Brittany Spears, here is a girl, who is just in her early 20's and has shot to success. She and her family probably know very little on how to deal with the success.

I also feel sorry for Courtney Love, who is obviously losing it.

msquared

Posts: 1907 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
odouls268
Member # 2145

- posted      Profile for odouls268   Email odouls268         Edit/Delete Post 
Here's a question for you though: Do you think Michael Jackson wishes he had stayed Michael Jackson and not become Silicone-latex-tapioca nose-Jackson? You think, given the chance, he would've scorned the knife completely?
Posts: 2532 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
odouls268
Member # 2145

- posted      Profile for odouls268   Email odouls268         Edit/Delete Post 
You know who I feel sorry for?
Certainly not a single one of these crybaby millionaires. "I'm so successful I don't know how to handle it!" Shut up. Really. Just shut up. Never thought I'd say it, but I wish more of them were like Paris Hilton. She makes a dress out of a million dollars worth of poker chips and says 'Yeah I'm spoiled, I'm rich and get to do everything youll never get to. How do ya like that?'

I feel sorry for the bum at the gas station across the street from my house who gets spit on.

Posts: 2532 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.