FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Keeping Your Last Name (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Keeping Your Last Name
Alexa
Member # 6285

- posted      Profile for Alexa           Edit/Delete Post 
Kathrina (spelling?)

thanks for catching that, I have since edited to correction.

Posts: 1034 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leonide
Member # 4157

- posted      Profile for Leonide   Email Leonide         Edit/Delete Post 
But the man also gives his sperm!

That's two things!!

Not fair!!

I demand compensation!

[Mad]

Posts: 3516 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
You weren't USING it. [Roll Eyes]

[Big Grin]

Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm with leonide on this.

I mean...if we're supposed to enter a union and become one...why does the woman have to give up HER name?

Why must a nuclear family share a common last name? I mean, it's nice and all, but a common last name is not what makes a good family.

I had a fight with an ex-fiance over this situation. I'd decided to keep my last name and told him that.

And he got mad. He insisted that he should have some say in it.

I said no, it's MY name. MINE. So I get to chose whether or not I change it.

He got angry and insisted that it's as much his decision as mine.

I said, no, it's MY name. I asked if he'd change his last name.

No, he said. It's my name.

So I pointed out that I feel the same way...my name is my name and if I want to keep it, it's my decision.

We never saw eye to eye on that, reason number 503 why he's an EX fiance.

...I also hated his last name. [Wink]

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ela
Member # 1365

- posted      Profile for Ela           Edit/Delete Post 
Boy, mack, I am glad that my husband wasn't like your ex-fiancee. [Wink]

My husband was not so invested in my taking his last name. I really wanted to keep my name, we discussed it, and we came to an agreement.

I am sure it has not lessened our family identity. My kids certainly know that I am their mother, and both their father and I have good relationships with our kids. Nor have they felt funny about it among their friends, though, as I said above, it is not the norm in our community.

I think couples and families should do whatever works for them, and whatever makes them feel comfortable.

Posts: 5771 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
I never considered keeping my maiden name, but then, I wasn't particularly attached to it either. I've got four brothers who will be more than happy to carry on my family name.

On a slight name tangent, our culture also has a practice of not giving daughters middle names so that when they get married they can keep their maiden name as their middle name. My husband comes from a long line of women given no middle name at birth (on both sides of his family). I come from a long line of women who were given middle names at birth (also on both sides).

When we had daughters, he just assumed they would have no middle name. I assumed they would. We discussed it, I felt more strongly about it than he, so our daughters have middle names.

Edit: And as a bonus, his last name starts with the same as mine, so I got to keep my initials! ^_^

[ April 01, 2004, 07:32 PM: Message edited by: beverly ]

Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
My two cents...

My husband didn't care what I did with my name, and I briefly considered keeping my maiden name. Eventually, I decided to do exactly what beverly dawnmaria described, and replace my old middle name with my maiden name. Hey, I never really liked my old middle name anyway. So, when it's something very important (and with a large signing line, since all three names together makes for a long signature), I sign all three.

Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jenny Gardener
Member # 903

- posted      Profile for Jenny Gardener   Email Jenny Gardener         Edit/Delete Post 
Even though I don't really like my husband's last name, I took it when we married. For me, it was taking on a new identity, one that wasn't tied to my parents any more. It was a necessary part of my maturing process.

Now, of course, I think my original last name was much nicer. At school, I go by "Mrs. G." because I can't stand to hear the ugly German sounds of my last name.

Which do YOU like better? Cummings, my maiden name (means "stranger", and is of Scotch-Irish ancestry) or Gerig, my married name (unknown meaning, German ancestry, and is continually butchered by people)

Posts: 3141 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anna
Member # 2582

- posted      Profile for Anna           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
But the man also gives his sperm!

That's two things!!

Not fair!!

I demand compensation!

Sounds to me that giving the sperm cannot be compared to nine month in your belly. BTW, if you want compensation, you can nurrish the baby for his first months. [Big Grin]
Posts: 3526 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lissande
Member # 350

- posted      Profile for Lissande   Email Lissande         Edit/Delete Post 
I am greatly looking forward to explaining to people in America how to pronounce my name, and that yes, I have my husband's name, but no, it isn't exactly the same - he's Dedina, I'm Dedinova, we're the Dedinovi, how is this confusing?? *grin* Dedinova is the coolest name around (though you have to hear it spoken to get the full benefit). It's much less cool in English, though - means village. Melissa Village does not have the same ring. I'm also looking forward to getting rid of my current last name. [Smile] Good deal all around.
Posts: 2762 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
I just thought of something I will throw "out there" on this subject. Porter's brother and his Japanese wife have done something unusual in order to be in compliance with Japanese laws and customs. I don't remember the specific laws and customs involved, but in Japan he has legally taken her last name, "Tori". So here in the states they are legally "The Bassetts" and in Japan they are legally "The Tori's". We like to call them "The Tori's" because with all the Bassetts floating around, everyone knows exactly who we are talking about. [Smile]
Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick
Member # 4311

- posted      Profile for Nick           Edit/Delete Post 
Oh boy. I doubt I could get somebody to take my last name. Kids tease over last names mercilessly. At least they teased me. My name is very unusual. Mayo.

Having a middle name that's the same of a common retail store didn't help much. "Hey Nick! Did you buy your Mayo at Ross?" I can't for the life of my find why they thought that was so funny. [Dont Know]

It's an Irish name. Mayo County. Why is it so uncommon then. [Dont Know]

Posts: 4229 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MaydayDesiax
Member # 5012

- posted      Profile for MaydayDesiax   Email MaydayDesiax         Edit/Delete Post 
I like the idea of taking my fiancee's last name when we get married. Besides, it's much shorter than my last name: Yu over Wallace.

I'll be able to fit my full name on the signature lines for once!

Posts: 873 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm going to take my husband's name for no particular reason, I don't feel it's a big deal.

However, if I have a daughter I'm going to name her after my great grandma and my aunt; Karen, pronounced Karn, it's an old Danish name that I want to keep in the family. I also want to keep going to family reunions, because I'm part of that family (my dad's side) and want my kids to be. I think that's far more important than their names.

Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.