FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Mystery authors/books

Author Topic: Mystery authors/books
Tullaan
Member # 5515

- posted      Profile for Tullaan   Email Tullaan         Edit/Delete Post 
I did a cursory search and got no where.

I want recomendations on great mystery books and authors.

I mainly read sci-fi and fantasy. I have read almost all of Sherlock Holmes books. I want something a bit more modern.

Is Sue Grafton a good author? I'm aware of her A-Z books that she is writing. I know some people really enjoy her writing. My fear is of authors who write many books tend to be not very good authors (such as Piers Anthony). They are just trying to get x number of books written to meet contracts rather than writing quality stories.

Tullaan

Posts: 98 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fitz
Member # 4803

- posted      Profile for Fitz   Email Fitz         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not much of a mystery fan, personally. However, I would recommend a couple of books by Caleb Carr: The Alienist and The Angel of Darkness.
Posts: 1855 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Book
Member # 5500

- posted      Profile for Book           Edit/Delete Post 
Can't go wrong with Agatha Christie.
Posts: 2258 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
I love Tony Hillerman(mysteries set on the Navajo reservation)

I also like Peter Tremayne's Sister Fidelma series. It is historical mystery set in about the 600's in Ireland.

[ April 01, 2004, 05:37 AM: Message edited by: Elizabeth ]

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Christy's a big fan of the Sister Frevisse books, by Margaret Frazer.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
Dorothy Sayers
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tristan
Member # 1670

- posted      Profile for Tristan   Email Tristan         Edit/Delete Post 
P.D. James.

Elizabeth George.

Laurie R. King.

Carol O'Connell.

Posts: 896 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
littlemissattitude
Member # 4514

- posted      Profile for littlemissattitude   Email littlemissattitude         Edit/Delete Post 
Faye Kellerman and Jonathan Kellerman (yes, they are married; both are good writers, but for my money Faye is by far the better writer).

Stephen White

James Ellroy (but be warned, his books are not for the young reader, the faint of heart, or those who are looking for something politically correct; much of his work takes place in Los Angeles in the 1950s among the LAPD, and he uses realistic attitudes and language of the time; still, he is a great writer. If you've seen "L.A. Confidential", expect the same only more so; that film is based on one of his novels.)

Posts: 2454 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm taking an American Crime Fiction class right now in my high school. It's the greatest class ever, I LOVE it. Right now, we're reading (though I finished it already) Red Harvest, by Dashiell Hammett... it's FANTASTIC. That's not really crime, but it's great. We're gonna read a bunch of others too, it's awesome.

Oh, and I second Agatha Christie. That's one heck of a writer. [Smile]

Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BookWyrm
Member # 2192

- posted      Profile for BookWyrm   Email BookWyrm         Edit/Delete Post 
Medical mysteries:

Tess Gerritsen over Pat Cornwell
Kathy Reichs
Robin Cook

Crime drama/mystery:
John Sandford
James Patterson

Clive Cussler
Lincoln Child/Douglas Preston

Just off the top o me haid

Posts: 986 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.