FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Could Special Ed save American Education? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Could Special Ed save American Education?
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh my, and this is a special education thread.

(blushing)

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jenny Gardener
Member # 903

- posted      Profile for Jenny Gardener   Email Jenny Gardener         Edit/Delete Post 
As a teacher looking for a job, I find it frustrating to see so many openings in special education that I am not qualified for.

[Mad] (Bad attitude day for Jenny)

Money is not going to buy us better education. As Cow says, efficient use of the money allotted will.

I think more teachers need to be trained in differentiation. I'm doing it now, and it really works. It's hard to learn and implement, because it involves risking your reputation while you learn how to do it. But very worth it once you get the hang of it.

My thoughts aren't very coherent right now (not feeling well - might be getting sick - brain is muzzy) so maybe I'll comment more later.

Posts: 3141 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
Jenny G,
Apply for the Sp. Ed. certification anyway. You should be able to get either a waiver or a preliminary certificate, enough to be hired, if you want to take classes.

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
StallingCow
Member # 6401

- posted      Profile for StallingCow   Email StallingCow         Edit/Delete Post 
Oof.

I don't know about differentiation. To me, it's a small step away from reversion to the one-room-schoolhouse.

Students function on different levels. Students should be taught according to the levels on which they function. These levels do not correspond with age groups.

Trying to teach several levels in the same learning environment shortchanges each.

Posts: 106 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.