FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The Most Mezmerizing Movie Trailer I've Seen In a Long Time

Author Topic: The Most Mezmerizing Movie Trailer I've Seen In a Long Time
Taalcon
Member # 839

- posted      Profile for Taalcon   Email Taalcon         Edit/Delete Post 
I saw this trailer in front of Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, and it grabbed me like few trailers have grabbed me in a LONG time. It looks stunning.
Posts: 2689 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zotto!
Member # 4689

- posted      Profile for Zotto!   Email Zotto!         Edit/Delete Post 
I had the exact same reaction, Taal. [Smile]
Posts: 1595 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
I have no idea what this movie is about, aside from a boy and a girl.

But it WAS mesmerizing. The music was wonderful. I want to go find the soundtrack already. And the shot of the girl dancing in front of the fire will be in my head for a long while. A long while yet.

(I do have to comment on the gaspump-handle thing, though. As someone who's had that happen at her gas station while she was working, I think it will fail to create in me whatever emotion the moviemakers intended. Unless, of course, that reaction is supposed to be "What a putz! Go back and hand it in, jerk." Actually, they don't rip off like that. The metal handle is designed to come off before it rips the hose. Aside from that.... [Wink] )

Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Daedalus
Member # 1698

- posted      Profile for Daedalus   Email Daedalus         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think so, EL. The movie looks to be more than another idiotic boy-meets-girl movie -- I'm guessing the boy's the central figure of the movie and Portman is little more than a goal, a desire -- a static character that uses her existence to reflect on the boy's inner psychological struggle, in other words.

At least, that's the image I took from it. Dull wallflower boy learns to live and yadda yadda. But maybe this'll be better than the usual Hollywood tripe cooked up over that formula.

Posts: 641 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know how good the story is going to be but the cenematography looks stunning. Unless they just picked the best parts of the movie to put in the trailor.
Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Paul Goldner
Member # 1910

- posted      Profile for Paul Goldner   Email Paul Goldner         Edit/Delete Post 
My brother thought this was an AMAZING Movie. He's normally a pretty good judge, too...
Posts: 4112 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Taalcon
Member # 839

I wish I could've gone to Sundance [Grumble]
Posts: 2689 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Book
Member # 5500

- posted      Profile for Book           Edit/Delete Post 
It has a low rating on imdb, but they claim it's due to petty jealousy over what Zach Braff won at the Sundance festival. I haven't seen it, so I wouldn't know, but it looked good.

Here's the link:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0333766/

[ April 02, 2004, 11:21 AM: Message edited by: Book ]

Posts: 2258 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Book
Member # 5500

The song is Frou Frou- Let's go, if anyone wants to know.
Posts: 2258 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xavier
Member # 405

- posted      Profile for Xavier   Email Xavier         Edit/Delete Post 
I found that too Book [Smile] .

I actually JUST listened to the full version for the first time not ten seconds ago.

Love the song.

Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Book
Member # 5500

Yeah, it looks real interesting, kind've like a Wes Anderson movie in its quirkiness (specifically the part with the bow and arrow and the gas pump) but with more of an emotional core.
Taalcon
Member # 839

And the song is "Let Go", not "Let's Go".

Love the lyric: "Excuse me, too busy? You're writing your tragedy?"

[ April 02, 2004, 12:23 PM: Message edited by: Taalcon ]

Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, I'm not disagreeing with you, Lalo. I just couldn't tell much about the plot except that. It certainly doesn't look like a trite teen romance to me, though. I'm hoping it will be a lot better than that, as I intend to see it now.
Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
Literally a second ago I was watching the trailer to this movie mesmerized, as you say, by it. I had to watch it three times. I come back here and see the thread title. I knew immediately what movie it was about. Wierd.

Anyway, I thought it looked really good, but (unlike many trailers nowadays) you can't tell what it is about, other than it's kind of quirky-looking.

It's billed as a romantic comedy, and most people seem to have copy-pasted the same plot outline which is brief but gives more than the trailer.

I'm going to put this on my list of 'must see's

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Taalcon
Member # 839

Apparantly at Sundance both showings of this film were the first to sell out, and people stood in lines for hours to get tix - especially after the first screening. The praise coming from the Sundance reviewers have been pretty sweet.

And from what I read, Lalo's conclusions appear to be quite off the mark.

It's rocketed up to near the top of my must-see list.

Taberah
Member # 4014

- posted      Profile for Taberah           Edit/Delete Post 
A better link for those having trouble with the first one:

http://www.apple.com/trailers/fox_searchlight/garden_state/

Posts: 224 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Taalcon
Member # 839

Ah, this must've just been posted. I looked all over for an official version last night. Thanks!

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.