FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » More computer help!

Author Topic: More computer help!
A Rat Named Dog
Member # 699

- posted      Profile for A Rat Named Dog   Email A Rat Named Dog         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, this past time when I started up my computer, a process called "ccApp.exe" ate up 100% of my CPU for six solid minutes, making it impossible for me to do anything else. I tracked the program down, and it's in the "Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared Files" folder, which means that either it has something to do with my Norton Internet Security, or it's trying to look like that.

Anyone have any idea what that program does, how I can find out, or why it made my computer unusable for six minutes? I just hate sitting there, staring at my screen, with no idea when it's going to be my turn to do anything with it.

Posts: 1907 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DOG
Member # 5428

- posted      Profile for DOG   Email DOG         Edit/Delete Post 
Dog,

It is a Symantec App, as follows:

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/nav.nsf/pfdocs/2003010811511306

To quote:
quote:
Situation:
You are trying to maximize your system resources to make your computer start faster. When you open the Windows System Configuration Utility to check which programs are loading at startup, you see a file called ccApp.exe. You want to know what will happen if you uncheck the program to stop it from loading on startup.

Solution:
ccApp is an important part of the protection that Norton AntiVirus (NAV) or Norton Internet Security (NIS) provides and should not be disabled at startup.

ccApp.exe is the common hosting application that is used by both NAV and NIS. It calls the different program features in NAV and NIS. For example, in NAV, if Auto-Protect and Email Scanning are enabled, then ccApp.exe makes sure that those programs are running. If ccApp is disabled, then Auto-Protect and Email Scanning will not run.

If you have already disabled ccApp.exe, then follow the steps in the document Auto-Protect does not load after installing Norton AntiVirus and then restarting the computer to re-enable the program.

If you disabled ccApp.exe because it appears to be using excessive CPU time, read ccApp.exe appears to be using excessive system resources to solve the problem.

And the link is:

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/nav.nsf/docid/2004030409400906?Open&src=&docid=2003010811511306&nsf=nav.nsf&view=pfdocs&dtype=&prod=&ver=&osv=&osv_lvl=

quote:
ccApp.exe appears to be using excessive system resources

Situation:
Your computer is slow, and you find that ccApp.exe is consistently using 80% or more of your CPU time.

Solution:
There are several causes of this problem. If ccApp.exe uses a large percentage of your CPU for a very short amount of time, this is normal. If the CPU is being over-used for a long period of time, use the following instructions to solve the problem:

If you use a personal firewall program
Create a firewall rule to allow ccApp.exe full access to the Internet. If you are unable to allow full access, read the Symantec Knowledge Base article, Configuring your firewall for use with Norton AntiVirus 2003. If you are not using a personal firewall program, or are unsure if you are using one, run LiveUpdate and apply all of the patches that LiveUpdate makes available.

-DOG
Posts: 121 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
A Rat Named Dog
Member # 699

- posted      Profile for A Rat Named Dog   Email A Rat Named Dog         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, thanks! My firewall isn't hindering ccApp.exe, so I'm installing the updates now. Hopefully, that'll fix it ...
Posts: 1907 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DOG
Member # 5428

- posted      Profile for DOG   Email DOG         Edit/Delete Post 
No problem.

Every once in a while I fire up "Task Manager," just to see what the hell's running on my machine.

Never, ever succumb to the impulsive desire of, "oh, I don't recognize that application. I wonder what would happen if...."

Here's hoping your machine speeds up!

[ April 04, 2004, 10:35 PM: Message edited by: DOG ]

Posts: 121 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.