FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Computer Question

Author Topic: Computer Question
LadyDove
Member # 3000

- posted      Profile for LadyDove   Email LadyDove         Edit/Delete Post 
My company is recently being bombarded by emails with .pif and .exe files attached. These files are from such lovely addresses as Staff@mycompany.com, etc.

Of course we have weeded out unwanted emails by title, but this doesn't have much effect on the current barrage of emails.

Is there softwear available that filters the emails on content as well as title. Specifically, is there something available that will filter out the executable files?

Posts: 2425 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boon
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
This is a nasty little problem, and we've got it too. [Frown]

Sorry I don't know how to help.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeniwren
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for jeniwren   Email jeniwren         Edit/Delete Post 
Forcestrip all incoming email of attachments with .exe and .pif extensions. Then ask all legitimate email senders with .exe attachments to send to rename their attachment to a different extension prior to emailing.

That's what our company does.

Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
What mail server are you currently running?
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LadyDove
Member # 3000

- posted      Profile for LadyDove   Email LadyDove         Edit/Delete Post 
fugu-
Telepacific mailserver - Netscape 4.7 softwear

Posts: 2425 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John L
Member # 6005

- posted      Profile for John L           Edit/Delete Post 
Use Microsoft Outlook 2003 or run something like K9 to sift through the junk and keep it out of your way (by deleting it).

Oh, and Jeniwren, your mail is probably going through an Exchange server, which can more efficiently handle such annoyances as these virus-ed e-mail barrages. While I recommend that as well, it's not always useful for everyone, and it's not as simple as a smart e-mail client. Also, fugu would just say something like running a Linux e-mail server is better (though I work with both, and have less problems with Exchange). [Razz]

[ April 06, 2004, 02:34 PM: Message edited by: John L ]

Posts: 779 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
I can't find much reference to teleport mail server; do you have a link?

Exchange is a good product, but its heavy, and your company no doubt has something already in place, making it silly to go through the expense of switching.

Instead, I would suggest putting SpamAssassin in front of your mail server, in some way or another (as an SMTP proxy). It plugs into many, many architectures.

Something like this: http://www.rudedog.org/assassind/assassind.man.html

Spamassassin is the most flexible and powerful spam filtering system available. Its in extensive use in the industry, and plenty of people are able to use it with no particular trouble.

edit: and here's a link to the main spamassassin website: http://spamassassin.org . It plugs into most mail servers, so you may be able to add it to your existing one.

[ April 06, 2004, 03:00 PM: Message edited by: fugu13 ]

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.