FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Ever wonder why...

Author Topic: Ever wonder why...
Taalcon
Member # 839

- posted      Profile for Taalcon   Email Taalcon         Edit/Delete Post 
...the heaters are ALWAYS broken in baptismal fonts? What's up with that?
Posts: 2689 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr.Funny
Member # 4467

- posted      Profile for Mr.Funny           Edit/Delete Post 
Huh? [Confused]
Posts: 1466 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Trogdor the Burninator
Member # 4894

- posted      Profile for Trogdor the Burninator   Email Trogdor the Burninator         Edit/Delete Post 
**wonders how Taalcon developed an opinion on this**
Posts: 1481 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ak
Member # 90

- posted      Profile for ak   Email ak         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations, Dave! Were you the baptizer or the baptizee?
Posts: 2843 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
slacker
Member # 2559

- posted      Profile for slacker   Email slacker         Edit/Delete Post 
Every baptism I've been to so far has worked. One even worked too well (fogged up the mirror).
Posts: 851 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
UofUlawguy
Member # 5492

- posted      Profile for UofUlawguy   Email UofUlawguy         Edit/Delete Post 
I've been in several baptismal fonts with ice-cold water, but in each case it was because there was no heater at all. Water heaters are very rare in Central America.
Posts: 1652 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, I've always been impressed with their warmness.
Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lissande
Member # 350

- posted      Profile for Lissande   Email Lissande         Edit/Delete Post 
You have heaters in your baptistries? *blink* Oh, the luxury that is America. [Smile]
Posts: 2762 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
I remember at my baptism people boiling water and then dumping it in the font to try to bring up the temperature a little bit. I don't think ours had a heater at all.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
My baptism was nice and warm. My bigger concern was the fact that they only had chones for old people down at the Church of Christ. You can imagine how well those things stay up when they're wet. *shudder*
Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
We had one lady, bless her heart, who somehow missed that there was a font involved. She was 92 years old and determined as heck to do this, but she kept saying things like "If I don't return." about after the baptism. It wasn't until after that we figured out she thought she was going to be dunked in Lake Huron. In February. She's 92!

The fact that the heater on the font actually worked was almost unbelievable.

That is sort of touching to me. She really thought that was going to be curtains for her, but she wanted to do it anyway. [Smile]

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Actually, I've always been impressed with their warmness.
Heh. Did that remind anyone else of Strange Brew?
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dobbie
Member # 3881

- posted      Profile for Dobbie           Edit/Delete Post 
When babies start putting money in the collection plate then we'll worry about heating the baptismal font.
Posts: 1794 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Slash the Berzerker
Member # 556

- posted      Profile for Slash the Berzerker   Email Slash the Berzerker         Edit/Delete Post 
If religion is comfortable, it negates the whole purpose of it.
Posts: 5383 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Trogdor the Burninator
Member # 4894

- posted      Profile for Trogdor the Burninator   Email Trogdor the Burninator         Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't notice anything, eh.
Posts: 1481 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
UTAH
Member # 5032

- posted      Profile for UTAH   Email UTAH         Edit/Delete Post 
What are chones?
Posts: 277 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lady Jane
Member # 7249

- posted      Profile for Lady Jane   Email Lady Jane         Edit/Delete Post 
ALMOST A YEAR LATER...

Today is the one year anniversary of Taalcon's baptism. If it feels like less, that's because he didn't announce it until months later, thus enabling the best secret keeping ever.

Happy one year birthday/anniversary/baptism day, David. [Smile]

Posts: 1163 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
I appreciate this line by Slash. . .

"If religion is comfortable, it negates the whole purpose of it."

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Taalcon
Member # 839

- posted      Profile for Taalcon   Email Taalcon         Edit/Delete Post 
I love the fact that a google ad at the bottom of this page is for "Baptistery Heaters"

[ February 28, 2005, 02:34 PM: Message edited by: Taalcon ]

Posts: 2689 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lady Jane
Member # 7249

- posted      Profile for Lady Jane   Email Lady Jane         Edit/Delete Post 
[ROFL] I didn't notice that!
Posts: 1163 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
It's for "The National Jewish Book" for me. [Dont Know]

But happy anni-bapti-versary! [Wink]

Have you ever seen the portable, solar-heatable baptismal fonts someone invented?

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chupacabras
Member # 6840

- posted      Profile for Chupacabras   Email Chupacabras         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
What are chones?
That reminds me of the one time my friend Pancho Villa took a bath. Some hombre stole Pancho's chones while he wasn't looking. Pancho, he had a hard time getting his zipper up after that.
Posts: 35 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
[Smile]

[Kiss]

Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Intelligence3
Member # 6944

- posted      Profile for Intelligence3   Email Intelligence3         Edit/Delete Post 
LOL, I never noticed that there were Google ads at the bottom of the pages before.
Posts: 720 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay
Member # 5786

- posted      Profile for Jay   Email Jay         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow…. That is impressive. Must use some kind of subject thing to figure out what is being talked about. Could be interesting to look at this from thread to thread!
Posts: 2845 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
When I got baptised the water was very cold and it got up my nose.
Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alcon
Member # 6645

- posted      Profile for Alcon   Email Alcon         Edit/Delete Post 
chones = underwear? [Confused]
Posts: 3295 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amka
Member # 690

- posted      Profile for Amka   Email Amka         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Dave,

How was your vacation?

Posts: 3495 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skillery
Member # 6209

- posted      Profile for skillery   Email skillery         Edit/Delete Post 
chones
Posts: 2655 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
I have Baptismal Pools & Chromalox Heating.

Congrats, Taalcon!

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mabus
Member # 6320

- posted      Profile for Mabus   Email Mabus         Edit/Delete Post 
That's right...we don't have chones at the Church of Christ. Hmmm....why did that sound odd?

And the...um....font...had a working heater, but it wasn't turned on at the time. (Hadn't been used recently.)

Posts: 1114 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.