FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Question about dog breeds(Japanese Spitz)

Author Topic: Question about dog breeds(Japanese Spitz)
Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
I've been looking at different dogs recently trying to decide what kind of breed i want to get and I really like the Japanese Spitz dogs.

I like both Akitas and Shiba-Inus. But i think the Akitas may be too big(not for me, but for the amount of room it'll have to play in. [Smile] ). And the Shiba-Inus too small. I think that type of dog but just in between those two sizes would be perfect. In browsing around and doing some research it seems to me that there is a breed that is a medium size but if so I haven't been able to find its name or any pictures or anything.

Can anyone out there help me out?

Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
Do you like Akitas and Shibas for their looks or personalities?

Both are notoriously hard to housbreak and train due to a strong independent streak. They can also be standoffish even to their families, and fiercely protective to outsiders. Not necessariliy the best breeds to have if you are planning on having small children around.

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

Also Akitas aren't a high energy breed and can do well as house dogs with regular walks.

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alexa
Member # 6285

- posted      Profile for Alexa           Edit/Delete Post 
you should go to Korea and get a dong-gai dog. yum yum [Evil Laugh]
Posts: 1034 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

This is the, Shiba Inu US club site. They talk about the "medium" Japanese spitz breeds on this page, but I don't know if they are common in the US.

http://www.shibas.org/newstand/geninfo.html

BannaOj
Member # 3206

Here's the description of a Shiba temperment from that site.
quote:
With a black button nose, little pricked ears and a curly tail, the Shiba enters the world knowing he is a superior being. Whether with intrepid boldness, squinty-eyed cuteness or calm dignity, he is king.

The Japanese have three words to describe the Shiba temperament. The first is "kan-i" which is bravery and boldness combined with composure and mental strength. The opposite side of "kan-i" is "ryosei" which means good nature with a gentle disposition. One cannot exist without the other. The charming side of the Shiba is "sobuku" which is artlessness with a refined and open spirit. They combine to make a personality that Shiba owners can only describe as "irresistible."

If a Shiba could only utter one word, it would probably be "mine." It is "mine" food, "mine" water, "mine" toys, "mine" sofa, "mine" crate, "mine" car, "mine" owner, and "mine" world. Sharing is a concept he feels others should practice. If the bait is dangled when a potential Shiba owner sees adults at a dog show or pictures in a magazine, the hook is set when he encounters his first puppy. They are exemplary examples of canine cuteness, fiery little fuzzballs-from-hell, no words can describe the appeal of the infant Shiba. A litter of Shibas is a Dakin™ Convention and a school of piranha; strutting, posturing little windup toys.

The adult Shiba is far from a toy. "Macho stud muffin" has been used to describe the male Shiba. The body may look "muffin," but the mind is all "macho stud." The Shiba takes the "spirited boldness part of his temperament quite seriously. Early socialization, temperament testing, and careful conditioning are mandatory for the young puppy. Dog aggression, especially in the un-neutered male, is a breed characteristic. This fiery aspect of the Shiba nature cannot be taken lightly.

Most Shiba owners learn to deal with the difficult aspects of the dog's temperament to enjoy the delightful ones. With "sobuku" the Shiba sets his hook into the heart. This is "artlessness" with squinty eyes, airplaned ears, and a vibrating tail. It is "charm" standing in your lap, washing your ears, and "dignity" plus "refinement" born of the knowledge of superiority.

It isn't my personal cup of tea, but many people do like them. You just have to be aware of what you are gettin into.

I'd check out the rescue sites as well.
http://www.shibas.org/rescue.html

AJ

BannaOj
Member # 3206

this is the northeast shiba rescue site.
http://www.northeastshibarescue.com/availshibas.html
It describes personalities of each dog available. At the top there is a warning
"DUE TO THE BREED'S INDEPENDENT NATURE, SHIBAS "MUST ALWAYS BE LEASHED" OUTSIDE A SECURE AREA! "

And several of the ones on the site are diggers and escape artists.

AJ

BannaOj
Member # 3206

Akita temperments:
(Personally I'd go for an Akita, I think they are much more stable and less obnoxious, despite their size) They don't have high energy requirements like Siberian Huskies.

AJ
quote:
Temperament
The personality of the Akita is very complex. While temperaments vary, most would agree that the Akita is very intelligent, extremely loyal, and can exhibit aggressive tendencies. The aggressive tendencies are almost exclusively towards other dogs of the same sex. Typically, Akitas are not aggressive towards people, but do have a very well developed guarding and protective instinct. Akitas also have a high and well developed prey drive. An Akita is not likely to shower affection on someone that is not a member of his family or a close friend that he sees frequently.
The loyalty and devotion displayed by an Akita is phenomenal. The typical pet Akita will follow you from room to room, yet has the uncanny ability not to be under foot. Your Akita lives his life as if his only purpose is to protect you and spend time with you.

The Akita as a House Pet
Even though Akitas are large, hardy dogs which can withstand the elements, they have been bred for centuries to be house companions. The two most outstanding characteristics of the Akita as a house pet are that they are very clean and that they are very easy to house break. Akitas have been described as almost "cat-like," they are so clean and odorless. This may also be one of the reasons why they housebreak so easily. Most Akitas respond so well to housebreaking that they are trained in a matter of weeks. [This is contrary to my personal experince. AJ]
As far as the family children are concerned, there are a few worries. Akitas are devoted, patient friends and protectors of children. Akitas are typically very gentle with children, and it is said that Japanese mothers often left their children with only the Akitas to watch over and protect them.
Of course with a new baby entering into a home with an Akita, proper introductions and precautions should be taken until the Akita understands the situation. Young children should never be left unsupervised with large dogs of any breed, as the potential for an accident is not worth the risk.
...Is the Akita the Dog for Everyone?
Right about now, you are probably thinking . . . What's the catch? Well, the Akita is not the right dog for everyone. The person who assumes responsibility for an Akita MUST be able to take control of the dog at an early age. This means that the person has to be the dominant party in this relationship.
Dominance is more a state of mind, but you must also be prepared to physically dominate the dog if necessary. Akitas, as with most dogs, live their lives in a pack environment, whether the pack be animals or people. If you are not willing to be the leader of the pack, the Akita most certainly will. So the Akita owner must have the energy and will to keep a firm, consistent discipline as the dog matures. A little work and persistence in training in the early months with an Akita will reap you huge benefits as a well behaved member of the family down the road.

Facts About Akitas

The Akita is a Japanese breed and in his native country, the Akita has been declared a national treasure. An Akita in a home is believed to be a symbol of good health, prosperity and good fortune. Helen Keller brought the first Akita to the United States in 1937.
Akitas do not bark unless there is a good reason. When an Akita is barking, pay attention. Akitas are natural guardians of the home and do not require any training to turn them into guard dogs. When there is a reason to protect family and property, your Akita will act to do so.
Akitas are inherently aggressive toward other animals and for this reason, they should not be allowed to run free or roam at will. You can exercise your Akita off leash when you are in an area where contact with other animals and people is unlikely.
Male Akitas show aggression toward other male dogs, and female Akitas usually will not tolerate another female. Akitas can live peacefully with a dog of the opposite sex, though some Akitas prefer being an only dog!
Akitas may consider small animals as prey and hunt them. This includes cats, rodents, birds, small wildlife and small dogs. Akitas can be raised to accept animals in residence. Some adult Akitas can even be trained to fit into a home where other animals are already established. It is, however, imperative that the Akita be closely watched around the other animals until you have established a peaceful co-existence.
Akitas are VERY food possessive. If you have other pets, you will want to be certain the Akita is given it's own food bowl or treat well away from any other animals and that no other animal is allowed near the Akita until the food is gone.
Akitas not raised with children are not always tolerant of small children and the Akita should never be left alone with a child until you are certain you have a dog who adores all children. Often, Akitas raised with children will tolerate their own children but may not accept the neighborhood kids. As a general rule it is wise not to leave an Akita or any large dog alone with children under 12 years of age.
Akitas do not like to be teased and can respond by biting. Some children are allowed to treat animals unkindly, a behavior that often leads to cruelty to animals. These children should be kept away from an Akita, whose large size and hunting instincts can endanger the child's life.
Akitas like to take charge - an inherited trait from their wolf ancestry - and may at some time, challenge you for the dominant position. This behavior cannot be tolerated and a firm, consistent correction should be your immediate response. Akitas with good temperament accept discipline well - not beating, but intelligent discipline. A good scruff shaking is an effective form of discipline for an Akita. frequently, a firm verbal command will get your point across.
Akitas should be obedience trained BY their owner and not sent away to school like other breeds! A good obedience class, perhaps beginning with puppy kindergarten, will guarantee you a firm bond with your dog and a well behaved dog.. Remember though, Akitas are extremely intelligent and tend to get bored easily. They learn quickly, so short training periods are suggested. This keeps the dog from becoming bored. Akitas are also very stubborn and when the dog thinks it's a waste of time to "sit" or "stay" one more time, he will simply walk away! Obedience training requires patience!
Some Akitas are talkers! They may grunt, groan and mumble to entertain themselves and you. This conversational verbalizing IS NOT growling and should not be interpreted as a growl, which sounds quite different. Akita "talking" is an endearing trait and should not frighten you. After living with your dog, you will easily distinguish between talking and growling.
Most Akitas enjoy carrying things around in their mouth, including your wrist! They may take you by the wrist to lead you to the cookie cupboard or to their lead. It is not an aggressive act, it is an endearing trait. Try allowing your Akita to bring in the newspaper or the mail. They love to do these types of jobs.
Akitas are very family oriented and are not happy when kept apart from the family. If you do not plan on having your dog live with you inside both your home and yard, you should not seriously consider an Akita for a pet.
Akitas are not hyperactive and fit into a sedentary household, but for optimum health for both YOU and your Akita, regular exercise is important.
Akitas will live from 10-14 years with good care and proper nutrition.
Hypothyroid disease affects a large percentage of the breed and is easily treated by twice daily hormone replacement therapy. A simple blood test, including a T3 and T4 thyroid levels test, will determine the existence of the condition. The symptoms may include one or all of the following: skin and coat problems, sudden onset aggression, itching, lethargy, musky odor. Before treating skin conditions with any drugs, have your vet check for sarcoptic mange, sebaceous adenitis, and Hypothyroid disease. Other diseases found in Akitas include Progressive Retinal Atrophy (blindness) manifested by impaired night vision, hip and elbow problems, autoimmune diseases, degenerative myelopathy, and some blood disorders, though these are not common problems in the breed.
Akitas require a good quality meat and bone meal based food and do not thrive as well on soybean based dog foods. Akitas 7 years and older should be fed one of the commercial LITE foods to lessen the onset of kidney disease which is a problem in older Akitas. (Akita Rescue Society of America)

BannaOj
Member # 3206

Here's a Northeast Akita Rescue link.

If you watch these there will often be smaller akitas that are still considered purebred that come across.

There is a female in rescue now that is only about 50lbs.

http://www.akitarescue.org/orphans.html

AJ

Vána
Member # 3262

- posted      Profile for Vána   Email Vána         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow - Akitas sound like great dogs!
Posts: 2661 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

wow...i leave for an hour and look what i get!

thanks for all the links. [Smile]

*goes off to read them all now*

Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

well, until just the other day I had read alot about Akitas and liked them alot. Then i just happened to glance at a picture of a Shiba-Inu and thought it looked cool, but didn't know much else besides the fact that it was in the same family as the Akita, but smaller.

I agree that an Akita type personality seems to be the better pet(atleast for me), so if there are smaller ones that would be nice. [Smile]

Yozhik
Member # 89

- posted      Profile for Yozhik   Email Yozhik         Edit/Delete Post 
You might want to try a mix. One of my dogs is a Lab/Chow mix, and she combines the appearance/personality of a Lab with the smaller size of a Chow. She is adorable.

Also, she likes to play with mice and other small animals (unfortunately for her, after a while they stop playing back and go all limp for some reason). I'm not sure what side this trait comes from.

Posts: 1512 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kwsni
Member # 1831

- posted      Profile for kwsni   Email kwsni         Edit/Delete Post 
I heartily agree with Yozick here. My Lab/Chow/Husky mix is just gorgeous, the sweetest dog ever, and MUCH smarter than my moronic lab mix. She is independent and stubborn, though.

Ni!

Posts: 1925 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leonide
Member # 4157

- posted      Profile for Leonide   Email Leonide         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh man, Yohzik, my golden does the same thing with mice! It's so tragic for me because I know it's in her nature but there's something just awful about allowing her to worry an animal slowly to death. I usually save the poor thing.
Posts: 3516 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yozhik
Member # 89

- posted      Profile for Yozhik   Email Yozhik         Edit/Delete Post 
We never get there in time to save the critters, though we do put them out of their misery if necessary.
Posts: 1512 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.