FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Optical Illusions and other neat tricks

Author Topic: Optical Illusions and other neat tricks
Xavier
Member # 405

- posted      Profile for Xavier   Email Xavier         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay guys, I was randomly websurfing and came across a list of optical illusions. They were really quite lame and unimpressive.

In my exploring I came across this one.

What surprised me was that I found 10 faces within 15 seconds or so. It was so very easy that I am thinking the statement at the top is wrong. If 8 is exceptional, I would be completely extraordinary [Smile] .

I am faithful that my fellow hatrackers will prove that anyone can do it though.

If you get stuck, he's the ones I found: ten faces, maybe eleven

The blue one is just one I think might be it.

And to give this thread a possible life of more than a hadnful of replies, are there any other neat things you guys want to share?

Edit: Just wanted to mention that I see faces in EVERYTHING. I used to find all sorts of different faces in the tiling we had on our bathroom floor, and also in wood grains and things [Smile] .

[ April 08, 2004, 11:59 AM: Message edited by: Xavier ]

Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sopwith
Member # 4640

- posted      Profile for Sopwith   Email Sopwith         Edit/Delete Post 
I got twelve of them... but for the life of me, I can't find the other two.

Make that 13, I forgot that the cowboy has a face of his own hehehe.

[ April 08, 2004, 12:22 PM: Message edited by: Sopwith ]

Posts: 2848 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
That's bogus. No way do "normal" people find only 4 or five. It's *waaaaaay* too easy.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xavier
Member # 405

That was my thought too mph [Smile] .

I was like "4 or 5? Maybe if they are blind."

I am a bit curious as to how Sop got 12 (not including the cowboy).

You do know that theres only supposed to be 11 right? I know that the faces are subjective, but any more than 11 (besides the cowboy) are unintentional [Smile] .

Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xavier
Member # 405

But strangely enough I think I found a 12th one too. Or maybe my 11th (in blue) was wrong.
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not even convinced that this picture is supposed to be an optical illusion. Looks like it's just a corny painting to me. Still nice to know that I'm "very observer," though.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sopwith
Member # 4640

- posted      Profile for Sopwith   Email Sopwith         Edit/Delete Post 
*********** SPOILER ALERT****************

1. Left side, border in water, small, almost skeletal looking.
2. Left side and top, huge, from leaves, rocks and water.
3. Top, center in leaves looking to right at cowboy. Small.
4. Top, center, right beside prior one, a lil higher, small.
5. Top, dead center, in leaves, tiny.
6. Top, right-center, leaves and rocks, looking to the left, small.
7. Center, from chin of prior one, in rocks, medium sized.
8. Center, Top Left, outlines by gray twigs, large white-bark birch goes through center.
9. Bottom right, in the rocks, huge, stream runs through center of it.
10. Bottom center in the rocks and mud, outlined by the whitewater on its top and left side.
11. Center, lowish, opposite of stream face in the rocks, moss makes its upper lip, large.
12. Left bottom corner, mud between two snow-topped rocks, one eye open, other closed in a wink, large nose.

And then, the cowboy is bound to have a face... making 13.

YMMV

Posts: 2848 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xavier
Member # 405

My 12th I found on the very edge on the left, very faint looking.

I am pretty sure ours match up, but you can look at the pic I posted in my first post to be sure if you want.

I just think the person who made it and the person who made the comments above and below are very different people. It doesn't even make sense how it is now. You are saying that 8 is exceptional, but 9 is only just above average? Excuse me?

Risuena
Member # 2924

- posted      Profile for Risuena   Email Risuena         Edit/Delete Post 
Jon Boy's right - this isn't supposed to be an optical illusion, it's a painting by Bev Doolittle. And you can find a crisper scan of it
here that should make it easier to distinguish the faces.

Posts: 959 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I want the viewer to share the emotions of the rider, and — as he does, because his life depends on it — 'read' the story in the leaves, branches, water and stone that surround him. — Bev Doolittle — 1984
Wow. So the painting is, like, symbolic.

*ponders the deep and meaningful symbolism*

Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jehovoid
Member # 2014

- posted      Profile for jehovoid   Email jehovoid         Edit/Delete Post 
I can definitely see all eleven clearly (which are the ones you originally circled, Xav, even the blue one) in the second scan. I don't see any others though.
Posts: 3056 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xavier
Member # 405

I don't know Jon Boy.

The faces aren't actually there. Its not a painting of a bunch of giants forming out of the earth.

The human brain though has an enormously powerful pattern matching capability that allows us to see faces when they really aren't there.

Hence it is an illusion, and even an optical one. Arguing that it is not is just semantic masterbation.

I do admit it is kind of a lame one though [Smile] .

I mostly posted to prove that I am not, in fact, exceptional. When reading their claims I had to make sure they were wrong. Hatrack helped me do that nicely [Smile] .

My favorite illusion though is http://www.ebaumsworld.com/checkershadow.html

I find that one incredible. It boggles my mind. I even took their advice and cut and pasted to verify the were the same shade. Sure enough...

jehovoid
Member # 2014

- posted      Profile for jehovoid   Email jehovoid         Edit/Delete Post 
That one is really tough. I think what was throwing me off was the letters. They're not supposed to be the same shade too, are they? When I looked at it kind of cross-eyed (like a magic eye puzzle) then I could see that they were the same shade.

[ April 08, 2004, 03:52 PM: Message edited by: jehovoid ]

Posts: 3056 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.