FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » HellBoy movie (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: HellBoy movie
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
This was actually quite enjoyable. I don't think I would've recognized Ron Perlman if I didn't already know he was in the thing. He does a great job and really seems a lot younger than he must be in real life.

The female lead -- I've seen her somewhere before -- is quite good too.

I thought this movie was at least as good an adaptation of a comic book as my prior favorite:
= Tank Girl

Basically, it had a good plot, it was full of action, and the villains were interesting.

Lots of good jokes and plays on words in there too.

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't seen it yet, but I have to know:

Is HellBoy John L? Is the fire-girl his Kama?

*impatient

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
I recognized Ron Perlman almost instantly, actually. To me, it just looks like Ron Perlman with a layer of red latex over his face.

But your prior favorite comic book movie was Tank Girl? That really makes me not want to see Hellboy. [Razz]

Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jexx
Member # 3450

- posted      Profile for jexx   Email jexx         Edit/Delete Post 
My mom saw this last week (and she is a Merchant Ivory-type movie person! [Eek!] ), and she thoroughly enjoyed it. Shocked the heck outta me!

She warned me that it was too scary and violent for my six-year-old, though. (Just a caveat for Hatrack parents *smile*)

I can't wait to see it.

Posts: 1545 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CalvinMaker
Member # 2032

- posted      Profile for CalvinMaker   Email CalvinMaker         Edit/Delete Post 
My friend Rob and I saw it last weekend. We both thought it was an utter piece of crap.

The plot was boring. The acting was boring. The lines were cheesy. The graphics weren't even that great compared to what I've seen in other movies today.

I was struggling not to fall asleep.

As my friend and I left the theatre, I told my friend, "Man, that was more than 2 hours of my life that I'll never get back."

Posts: 1934 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Taalcon
Member # 839

- posted      Profile for Taalcon   Email Taalcon         Edit/Delete Post 
This from the guy who fell asleep in Lost In Translation [Razz]
Posts: 2689 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Tank Girl was on TV the other day and I watched part of it. I've never seen the comic, but I imagine that you have to enjoy the comic to enjoy the movie. I couldn't find anything to like in it. [Dont Know]
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John L
Member # 6005

- posted      Profile for John L           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
My friend Rob and I saw it last weekend. We both thought it was an utter piece of crap.
What movies do your friend Rob and you like?
Posts: 779 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CalvinMaker
Member # 2032

- posted      Profile for CalvinMaker   Email CalvinMaker         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, I had seen Lost in Translation before , and was running on 6 hours of sleep in three days. I had plenty of reason to fall asleep.
Posts: 1934 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CalvinMaker
Member # 2032

What movies do we like? We saw Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless mind and liked it a great deal.
John L
Member # 6005

Never heard of them.
Posts: 779 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John L
Member # 6005

Wait, I bet you don't like "mainstream" music either, right?
You heard all the "good" bands before they were big?
You only like "meaningful" films?

[Wink]

Taalcon
Member # 839

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind WAS great.

...and so was Dumb and Dumber (the original) [Big Grin]

Posts: 2689 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John L
Member # 6005

That's a single movie, not two? Even more telling. How many theatres did it play in? I'm willing to bet why Hellboy wasn't entertaining to Noah.
CalvinMaker
Member # 2032

quote:
Wait, I bet you don't like "mainstream" music either, right?
You heard all the "good" bands before they were big?
You only like "meaningful" films?

Actually, I like a mix of mainstream and non-mainstream bands, more of the bands being mainstream.
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
Why attack Noah? Where's the j/ks??

(protects Noah) He has the right to dislike any movie he wants to, the poor boy!!!!

Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John L
Member # 6005

Then name a mainstream movie that played in general theatres that you liked recently.

And what, I need to put those stupid "j/k" things every time I'm poking fun at someone? I'm not attacking, you big baby. [Razz]

Pepek
Member # 3773

- posted      Profile for Pepek   Email Pepek         Edit/Delete Post 
No.. burn him.. if he really is Noah he's got another female version of himself somewhere around to take his place..

- Sir Montague

Ps~ Hellboy is worse then Britney Spear's movie 'CrossRoads'...

Posts: 690 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

WHY!? WHY MUST YOU DENY ME MY MELODRAMA!?!?

Won't somebody PLEASE think of the CHILDREN!!!!???

Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
StallingCow
Member # 6401

- posted      Profile for StallingCow   Email StallingCow         Edit/Delete Post 
Um, John, Eternal Sunshine's pretty mainstream. It's playing in 1,200 theaters or so and has made $23 million in three weeks so far. Jim Carrey, Kate Winslet...

Granted it's not blockbuster Hollywood schlock, but it's not exactly Run Lola Run.

Posts: 106 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John L
Member # 6005

I am thinking of the children. That's why I'm teaasing Noah.
Ryuko
Member # 5125

(sobs noisily and messily)
CalvinMaker
Member # 2032

quote:
No.. burn him.. if he really is Noah he's got another female version of himself somewhere around to take his place..
Eh?

And John L, I, and some others, simply didn't find your "teasing" to be funny. Granted, I doubt you meant it to come across as an attack, but that's how it came across.

John L
Member # 6005

I didn't find your opinion to be very worthwhile, but you gave it anyway. I'm sure you weren't attacking when you gave it, but it came across that way anyway. Sucks, don't it?

Oh, and Cow, I still never heard of it. Is it a chick flick?

[ April 10, 2004, 12:08 AM: Message edited by: John L ]

Ryuko
Member # 5125

Everyone's entitled to their opinion, John L.
John L
Member # 6005

Then why does mine always get bitched at?
Mr.Funny
Member # 4467

- posted      Profile for Mr.Funny           Edit/Delete Post 
Meaning John L. is entitled to his opinion as well... [Roll Eyes]
Posts: 1466 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
StallingCow
Member # 6401

- posted      Profile for StallingCow   Email StallingCow         Edit/Delete Post 
I think it's your abrasive online tone.

Must be cuz you're from New Jersey.

Posts: 106 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John L
Member # 6005

Prolly the latter.
Ryuko
Member # 5125

Yeah. It's just because when you gave your opinion, it sounded like a personal attack. Unless you were one of the people that made the movie, him saying he thought it sucked, though perhaps not the best choice of words, was not a personal attack on you.

As for me, I'm jazzed to see the movie. It looks like something I'll like.

StallingCow
Member # 6401

Well, the former is likely caused by the latter.

[Evil]

Ralphie
Member # 1565

- posted      Profile for Ralphie   Email Ralphie         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Prolly the latter.
yah prolly
Posts: 7600 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BrianM
Member # 5918

- posted      Profile for BrianM   Email BrianM         Edit/Delete Post 
I might actually see this, it looks fun at a time when all the movie seem either hyper-dramatic or mindlessly numb.
Posts: 369 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
luthe
Member # 1601

- posted      Profile for luthe   Email luthe         Edit/Delete Post 
perhaps CM is a big fan of Brakhage?
Posts: 1458 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
foundling
Member # 6348

- posted      Profile for foundling   Email foundling         Edit/Delete Post 
Dis is a vonderful movie! Ron Perlman is a sexy as all hell quasi-demon [Evil Laugh]
Guillermo del Toro did a wonderful job of adapting the graphic novel format to the screen and stayed true to the feeling of the original. He apparently waited for 5 years to make the movie because the money people wanted a generic action hero (Vin Diesel and the Rock being the highest on their list), but he held out for Perlman. Inspired.

Posts: 499 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fallow
Member # 6268

- posted      Profile for fallow   Email fallow         Edit/Delete Post 
Eternal Sunshine?

Was it ok? The trailor left me with a strong sense of "and here we go... downward that slippery slope of success*

Fallow

Posts: 3061 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saxon75
Member # 4589

- posted      Profile for saxon75           Edit/Delete Post 
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind is playing in every single one of the mainstream theaters within driving distance of my apartment. It is a very good movie.

If it weren't playing in a mainstream circuit theater, it would still be a good movie. The fact that lots and lots of people didn't see a movie does not mean it's artistic onanism that is to be ignored.

It also doesn't mean it's good.

In this case, it happened to be good. Very good.

Posts: 4534 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fallow
Member # 6268

- posted      Profile for fallow   Email fallow         Edit/Delete Post 
how so?

The trailor was stupid.

Posts: 3061 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
Noah attacked the film. I don't see that he gave any reasons that couldn't be explained by his tiredness. I used to be like that myself, though. Going long periods on little sleep isn't that different from drinking. It makes you feel cool, but your perception is distored.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xavier
Member # 405

- posted      Profile for Xavier   Email Xavier         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, I thought Lost in Translation was one of the worst movies I have ever seen.

I am not surprised that Noah fell asleep in it. That's because NOTHING HAPPENED!!!!!!!

*cries*

Talk about 2 hours you'll never get back. I have been going through the reviews and things trying to figure out how everyone liked it. It boggles my mind.

I was going to write a little review talking about how boring and pointless it was, but my recap itself was boring.

How you people were duped into liking it is a mystery to me. I am pretty sure the critics had a bet with eachother that if they all reviewed it really good, the public would follow along.

Can someone explain how it managed to get best screenplay? Can you name one piece of dialog that was deep or interesting or even ORIGINAL?

When reading all the reviews, this is the one that actually I related to:
quote:
What I mean to say, is, there's only so many times you can point out that a) the movie is boring and b) nothing happens in the movie and c) yes, it really is that boring, and d) no, I'm serious, nothing happens, and e) no, I'm not kidding.

That sums up my watching experience perfectly.

I really WANTED to like this movie. When it was over I even tried to tell myself I did. Then I was like "No, actually that sucked, and no amount of revisionist memory is going to change that".

Can someone PLEASE explain this mystery to me.

Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xavier
Member # 405

- posted      Profile for Xavier   Email Xavier         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh and Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless mind is one of my favorite movies ever. Go see it John.

Stuff actually happens in it! Lots of stuff!

Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Argèn†~
Member # 4528

- posted      Profile for Argèn†~           Edit/Delete Post 
I liked Hellboy a lot. I never read the comic, but if it's anything like the movie, maybe I should. [Smile]
Posts: 346 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't read the Hellboy or Tank Girl comics, but I would if I could. Basically, the thing I liked about Tank Girl was the whole plucky female versus the establishment theme and how funny most of it was.

I liked Hellboy because it was just a really fun action flick. It wasn't scary or bizarre, just good fun.

And the villains are truly interesting characters.

Oh well...it's not like it's a 4-Star cinematic triumph. But it certainly delivered $3.50 worth of matinee-style entertainment.

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Taalcon
Member # 839

The people who say nothing happens in Lost in Translation would be the same type who say that there's no conflict at all in Remains of the Day.

Just because a film doesn't pander to the audience and choreograph everything by saying "This is the conflict! This is what the movie's about!" doesn't mean that TONS of things aren't happening.

In my view, LiT is about two people, who are in many ways very similiar to each others' spouses, but on different ends of the experience spectrum. They're both disillusioned with their lives, but through their friendship and understanding of each other, they come to understand their spouses - and themselves - a little better.

Plus it also has some wonderfully funny moments.

It's funny that OSC in his review stated that he couldn't see why anyone would have any desire whatsoever to visit Japan after seeing this film. I found that ironic because this film cemented in me the growing desire to not only visit Japan, but to live there a while and to learn the language.

I don't piss on 'Mainstream' movies because they're mainstream - I piss on mainstream movies that are simply not good movies. I just don't go to comedies whose trailers don't even make me laugh (IE, Dodgeball, Garfield, etc).

Action movies it's different. Many generic detective flicks don't interest me. But I totally enjoyed my moviegoing experience when seeing The Mummy Returns. It was a great popcorn flick, and I had a blast at it.

But just because I tend to like and watch more movies that make me THINK more than the mindless popcorn experiences, does that somehow make me a snob?

I knew Noah had been running on 6 hours of sleep, and that he'd seen LiT before. I was making a bit of a joke - I was there with him at the time. I don't think he took my jab too seriously. John, you wouldn't leave it alone, and started making additional, totally off-topic assumptions. There's a difference, bro.

So yeah - it's possible to like mainstream movies AND lesser known 'cerebral flicks'. It's possible to like underground music AND listen to mainstream music.

It's also possible to disagree with someone and not be a jerk about it.

To which I will also say, just because one doesn't like a movie, doesn't mean that it 'sucks'.

There are plenty of films I don't enjoy, but whose artistic merit I can appreciate. They're just not my cup of lemonade.

ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
Y'all have completely missed the point of this thread.

Is HellBoy an accurate representation of John L? Is the fire-girl his Kama?

Let's stay on topic, people.

*foot tapping impatiently

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
"But it certainly delivered $3.50 worth of matinee-style entertainment."

WHAT??????????????????????

Did you say a MATINEE is 3.50??????????

That is IT. I am moving to Texas. Well, no I am not, but darn it, how much is a regular time show?

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
TAlk to Bob, he might know someone who will rent to you for cheap.....of course, he would then HAVE to move it with Dana, so......he might be really easy to convince..... [Evil]

Hell of a commute, though.....

Kwea

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Argèn†~
Member # 4528

- posted      Profile for Argèn†~           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Just because a film doesn't pander to the audience and choreograph everything by saying "This is the conflict! This is what the movie's about!" doesn't mean that TONS of things aren't happening.
But it does mean it's not successfully working as a movie, because pandering to the audience is what a successful movie does. The exceptional ones do it without us ever knowing it. Granted, I've never seen Lost in Translation, so I can't say whether it did this or not.
Posts: 346 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christy
Member # 4397

- posted      Profile for Christy   Email Christy         Edit/Delete Post 
I loved the movie for the drama bits, but was disappointed by the "action" moments. The villians were good, but I thought the monsters were just rediculous and I was grimacing and bored during those fights. I liked the storyline much better.

I liked both Lost In Translation and Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, although I do admit to having to be in the mood for "arty" movies or I get grumpy. They are intriguing for the art/direction/philosophy and not for the storyline and the pacing is very different. Hellboy is NOT an arty movie.

Posts: 1777 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Taalcon
Member # 839

quote:
pandering to the audience is what a successful movie does
Succesful in the case of money? Oftentimes. Because, sadly, the mass majority of the moviegoing public wants to be pandered to.
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.