FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Bush and 9/11

Author Topic: Bush and 9/11
Jerryst316
Member # 5054

- posted      Profile for Jerryst316   Email Jerryst316         Edit/Delete Post 
Now Ive never been too much of a conspiracy theorist. Im a philosopher so I need proof of things before I come to believe them. Yet, I have to present this theory to you and see what you all think.

First, a Link

There are some, not many, who think Roosevelt knew about Pearl Harbor but allowed it to happen because he recognized the threat WWII posed. Some think that Bush knew of 9/11 but allowed it to happen because of what he wanted to do (ie attack iraq and fight a war on
terror).

The neo-conservatives
quote:
needed a context that would permit them free rein. The events of 9/11 rode to their rescue. (In one of their major reports, written in 2000, they noted that "the process of transformation, even if it brings revolutionary change, is likely to be a long one, absent some catastrophic and catalyzing event - like a new Pearl Harbor.")

The contention is that Bush and the rest of the administration knew of what would happen on 9/11 but let it happen so that they could do what they wanted to do without it taking many years. They say that there is a reason that a report was ready to go on 9/10 about how to fight al-qeada, that Bush was out of Washington for a reason that day, and so on. Of course, with the 9/11 hearings upon us, those same people are now pushing this theory. Why did Condi Rice not want to testify? Furthermore, the PNAC doctrine has played a big part in the foreign policy of the Bush Administration. It is the cause of our attack on Iraq.

Now, Im not sure I buy this theory but what do you think?

Posts: 107 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stan the man
Member # 6249

- posted      Profile for Stan the man   Email Stan the man         Edit/Delete Post 
I believe this has been discussed already.
Posts: 2208 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alexa
Member # 6285

- posted      Profile for Alexa           Edit/Delete Post 
Conspiracy Theory was a great movie. Who knew Mel could be so paranoid?
Posts: 1034 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Richard Berg
Member # 133

- posted      Profile for Richard Berg   Email Richard Berg         Edit/Delete Post 
Almost certainly false. Not that that excuses the administration's actions before & afterward.
Posts: 1839 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stan the man
Member # 6249

- posted      Profile for Stan the man   Email Stan the man         Edit/Delete Post 
Anybody is paranoid if you know what button to push. Fun if you know. Even more when it works so well that you spin them up.
Posts: 2208 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr.Funny
Member # 4467

- posted      Profile for Mr.Funny           Edit/Delete Post 
Seeing from the website, I wouldn't trust hardly any information from the site without VERY close scrutiny. If you look at some of the articles on the site, nearly all of them are anti-Bush. Even though most of the media is pretty liberal (with the exception of talk radio), this informationclearinghouse.info website has little credibility in my eyes.

I don't buy this theory. In addition, Condaleeza Rice DID testify. All the liberal media said it reinforced what Dick Clark said, and all of the conservative talk radio hosts claimed it was a great victory for the Republicans. So the truth is somewhere in the middle.

Anyway, on another note, apostrophes are you friends. They don't like being neglected.

[edit: I type too slow]

[ April 10, 2004, 01:55 AM: Message edited by: Mr.Funny ]

Posts: 1466 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
odouls268
Member # 2145

- posted      Profile for odouls268   Email odouls268         Edit/Delete Post 
"Big meanie Bush allowed thousands of men women and children be crushed, burned, mangled, and vaporized so that he could play with his toys in the sand."

When you boil it down to exactly what the theory is asserting, it doesn't sound like such a sound idea anymore.

Posts: 2532 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rappin' Ronnie Reagan
Member # 5626

- posted      Profile for Rappin' Ronnie Reagan   Email Rappin' Ronnie Reagan         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Even though most of the media is pretty liberal
[Roll Eyes]
Yeah, right.

Posts: 1658 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xaposert
Member # 1612

- posted      Profile for Xaposert           Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, it's becoming increasingly clear that the media is quite conservative these days - especially TV and radio.

But seriously, the neo-conservatives intentionally allowing a major attack on America is so far against the very core tenets of their political beliefs that I fail to see how they could possibly do it. Besides, there's no evidence of it.

Sure, 9/11 helped them. That doesn't mean they wanted it.

Posts: 2432 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr.Funny
Member # 4467

Well, from my own personal experience, the news shows that I have seen, from every single station, represent the liberal point of view most the time. Maybe it is just that I tend toward the conservative side, but most of the time, on political issues, the media puts a liberal spin on the news. That's just my experience, though.
Posts: 1466 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jerryst316
Member # 5054

- posted      Profile for Jerryst316   Email Jerryst316         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
But seriously, the neo-conservatives intentionally allowing a major attack on America is so far against the very core tenets of their political beliefs that I fail to see how they could possibly do it. Besides, there's no evidence of it.

Sure, 9/11 helped them. That doesn't mean they wanted it.

I think there is SOME evidence for this theory but it is all circumstantial. I could see a scenario where some people in the government thought that by allowing 9/11, they would save many more lives.

That being said, I do find it very hard to believe that people would intentionally allow the slaughter of 3000 people. I would need much more proof than the circumstantial evidence we have seen.

Posts: 107 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr.Funny
Member # 4467

So what exactly are you trying to say? That there's some evidence but you find it hard to believe?
Jerryst316
Member # 5054

quote:
So what exactly are you trying to say? That there's some evidence but you find it hard to believe?
I need more than circumstantial evidence. I do think that it there COULD be some merit to it, yet I would need much more evidence to believe it. So yeah, I guess I do find it hard to believe.
Rappin' Ronnie Reagan
Member # 5626

- posted      Profile for Rappin' Ronnie Reagan   Email Rappin' Ronnie Reagan         Edit/Delete Post 
It seems more likely to me that if they knew of the threat they would try to stop it and then proclaim that they kept it from happening in hope of public opinion becoming more positive.
Posts: 1658 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Richard Berg
Member # 133

- posted      Profile for Richard Berg   Email Richard Berg         Edit/Delete Post 
The media is definitely liberal on some issues. I don't think I've ever seen a newscast editorial about violence that didn't throw in an "OMG guns are evil" slant. Then again, the viewpoints that get expressed about corporate influence and international issues (two name two) are freakishly narrow.

Then again, you never know what might be interpreted as "liberal." (even casting aside the bastardization that term has received) For example, a story that mentions in passing how a natural landmark was formed over millions of years might be considered biased by a young-earther.

Posts: 1839 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xaposert
Member # 1612

- posted      Profile for Xaposert           Edit/Delete Post 
On certain issues, like guns, the news is going to be almost necessarily liberal, not because of a bias by the producers, but because anything that makes the news about that issue is going to slant in a certain direction, just by the nature of the issue. For instance, it's tough to make an editorial about gun violence that is pro-gun I think - it's just the nature of gun violence that it is contrary to the conservative view on guns.

The reason the media has become conservative these days, I think, is because conservatives have bought that "liberal media" line so much that they think it gives them a liscense to go out and be blatantly biased. I'm pretty sure this is the premise behind Fox News, at least - as well as a fair number of the political talk shows that air on TV and radio.

[ April 10, 2004, 10:21 AM: Message edited by: Xaposert ]

Posts: 2432 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
That being said, I do find it very hard to believe that people would intentionally allow the slaughter of 3000 people.
This is so horrible, it must have been done by the people you hate most. But it's not really done by the people who did it. It's done by the people you want to damage who could, in a perfect world, have allowed it. But in a perfect world, it wouldn't have happened at all.

By the way, are you just joking around about conspiracy theory and being named Jerry? If you're posting on Hatrack you aren't doing a very good job of staking out my apartment. Isn't there something you need to do?

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jerryst316
Member # 5054

quote:
By the way, are you just joking around about conspiracy theory and being named Jerry? If you're posting on Hatrack you aren't doing a very good job of staking out my apartment. Isn't there something you need to do?
You know ive never thought of that! I wasnt joking to begin with but you know whats funny? Catcher in the Rye is one of my favorite books.

Hey btw, where is your apartment?

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.