FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Allusions challenge: Poker terms needed

Author Topic: Allusions challenge: Poker terms needed
vwiggin
Member # 926

- posted      Profile for vwiggin   Email vwiggin         Edit/Delete Post 
Poker players make up all sorts of weird names for cards/hands/situations because, well, we're just bored.

For example:

American Airlines: Pair of Aces
Belly Buster: Inside Straight
Big Slick: Ace/King
Fishhooks: Pair of jacks
Snowmen: Pair of eights.

Given the abundant imagination and literary talent that exists on Hatrack, can you come up with other fun names? If you don't know poker that well, you can still come up with names for cards.

For example:

The Lawyer: Jack of Diamonds.

[ April 11, 2004, 07:41 PM: Message edited by: vwiggin ]

Posts: 1592 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Little Diddy: Queen Jack suited (Think John Cougar Mellencamp)
Slurpee: Ace Seven (Better in Blackjack, I think).
Jack S---: Jack Deuce off suit.

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vwiggin
Member # 926

I love those! Especially the first one. [Smile]

Wouldn't Slurpee be 7J? I'm dense, sorry!

For the record, I go in with Jack Sh** all the time. [Razz]

Posts: 1592 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

I've played more blackjack, where Ace = 11 or 1. Jack is ten in my mind.

And if you go in with Jack S--- all the time, we'll have to play poker sometime. [Smile]

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Queer Eye (Four Queens and a Joker)
A White House (Two Low pair and a wild card.)
A Republican Fund Raiser (Diamond Flush)

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vwiggin
Member # 926

Dag, I see... I knew I was missing something. [Razz] You're welcome to my money any time.

Dan, I love your theme. [Big Grin] I will definitely use those the next time I play with my old poli-sci college buddies.

Gay parade: A straight flush.

Jerryst316
Member # 5054

- posted      Profile for Jerryst316   Email Jerryst316         Edit/Delete Post 
The Dame of Love-10 of hearts

LOL, thats the only one I know.

Posts: 107 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

Viva Las Vegas--King High winning hand.
Flying Elvi--Kings over Tres (The King over Trees)
Comical Ali--Poor hand bluffed way to long.
Butterfly Ballot--Misreading cards of the same color but different suits, as a flush.
A Janet Jackson -- Flashing a hole card to other players.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

quote:
Butterfly Ballot--Misreading cards of the same color but different suits, as a flush.
[ROFL]

American Idol: Three potential winning hands, none of which are actually any good.

Dagonee

vwiggin
Member # 926

Wow, it's getting vicious in here. I love it. [Big Grin]
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

Micheal Jackson's Face-Trading good cards for others that are a mismatched pile of alien confusion.
(As compared to a Micheal Jackson Dance, which is such a great hand you want to grab yourself and scream Oooh!)

An Iraqi Shuffle. While attempting to re-order the cards, a dealers' mistake causes them to shoot across the table leaving a mess.

A Hilary Clinton: A Royal Flush short the King.

A Bill Clinton: Two ladies, and you still lose.

(I would tell you what a Monica Lewenski is, but this is a family board)

J & B Bush: Two lovely ladies, a wild card and you have to chug a beer. (The President's daughters Jenna and Barbara)

Playing Enron: Betting using other peoples chips.

World Com-ikaze: Betting everything you own, and half of what the player next to you has.

(Martha) Stewarting: Folding after seeing what the other players have.

vwiggin
Member # 926

There's no emoticon that could express my respect for the Enron and Martha Stewart references. *wipes tear*
vwiggin
Member # 926

Moulin Rouge: The 6 of Clubs.
Dobbie
Member # 3881

- posted      Profile for Dobbie           Edit/Delete Post 
Clogged toilet: hand where every card is of the same suit except one (thus preventing a flush).
Broken throne: same as above, except cards are 10, J, Q, K, A.

Posts: 1794 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

Janet Jackson: When your opponent reaches over and exposes your queen to the whole table.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.