FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Help me pick out a bridesmaid dress o_O

Author Topic: Help me pick out a bridesmaid dress o_O
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, so my best friend from childhood told me she's engaged! YEAY!

And I'm a bridesmaid. YEAY!

...and then there's the dress.

She informed her bridal party that she's too busy between work and school (paramedic school while working full time as an EMT) that we're to go to david's bridal, look at the separates and pick out what we want, but using the color "peri" on the site.

link to separates:
http://www1.davidsbridal.com/bridesmaids_separates_taffeta.jsp

Okay, throw in your opinions.

I KNOW Mrs.M will have much input [Smile]

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
Will this save mine? no, it defaults back to the pink. Which is more important to you, simple lines or shoulder coverage? Can you really go with any length of skirt?

[ April 12, 2004, 11:44 PM: Message edited by: pooka ]

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
No...you'll have to post the style numbers. *kicks davids bridal*
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
Are all the bridesmaids getting the same style? Are they different body types?

The 8561 top (the white embroidered one) is really cute, but if bridesmaids are ansy about having strapless (I know I would be) you can get a jacket to go over the top (kinda like style 8518, only not out of icky organza). For the skirt, I like the georgette A-line (8027). A-lines look good on everyone and make for good twirling.

Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
<-- likes 8561 too

skirt 8225

Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
Top 8087 and skirt 8552. The skirt isn't floor length though - I don't know if that is a problem.

I love that top! I wonder if they deliver to Australia... Reckon it would look nice as part of a wedding dress?

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mrs.M
Member # 2943

- posted      Profile for Mrs.M   Email Mrs.M         Edit/Delete Post 
Before I render my decision [Wink] , I need some more information. First, I need a picture where I get some idea of your body type or a very detailed description. Second, how tall are you and what size heel are you comfortable wearing? Third, when is the wedding (both date and time of day)?
Posts: 3037 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Since I have absolutely NO sense of style at all, I will vote for whatever Mrs. M picks out for you! Count it as two votes!

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dead_Horse
Member # 3027

- posted      Profile for Dead_Horse   Email Dead_Horse         Edit/Delete Post 
8217 and 8224
Posts: 1379 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
celia60
Member # 2039

- posted      Profile for celia60   Email celia60         Edit/Delete Post 
mack, for your body type, I think that 8087 + 8225 or 8027 will be the most flattering, but it is in your best interest to make the time to go and try a few of them on. In fact, studying pictures of how they fall on mannequins is just going to make you cringe when they don't look like that on you.

(As a side note: I love the periwinkle. My bridesmaid dresses were that color.)

Posts: 3956 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

http://madowl.glump.net/gallery/nyc/m

http://madowl.glump.net/gallery/nyc/r

http://madowl.glump.net/gallery/nyc/t

http://madowl.glump.net/gallery/nyc/ze

http://madowl.glump.net/gallery/nyc/zn

http://madowl.glump.net/gallery/found/me2 (this one is a year old unlike the others, but is a "still" full body shot...not that I stay still for that long. My face and hairstyle have changed a bit, and I think my body has too...I'm a size 10-12 in that, now I'm 8-10, more on the side of 8).

Body before weight loss/weight training:

http://madowl.glump.net/gallery/found/Us_with_Jamie

http://madowl.glump.net/gallery/nyc/m

Anyway.

Not comfortable with higher heels (I have a tendency to get ingrown toenails, can't squish toes).

And I'm five four. Though again today, while I was sitting down, someone told me that I'm tall. o_O

And I've also been described as "Feline."

Vána
Member # 3262

- posted      Profile for Vána   Email Vána         Edit/Delete Post 
I personally like top #8087 and skirt #8224, but for the skirt you'd really have to try on the different fabrics and see how they look on you. They'll all fall a different way, and you'll just have to try them to decide.
Posts: 2661 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
I've never worn georgette, but I despise Taffeta. Chiffon mightn't be that bad.
Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LadyDove
Member # 3000

- posted      Profile for LadyDove   Email LadyDove         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Vana. Though, if you're willing to wear low heels, I like the 8552 Tea Length Skirt.
Hope you have alot of fun as a bridesmaid!

[ April 13, 2004, 08:58 PM: Message edited by: LadyDove ]

Posts: 2425 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
larisse
Member # 2221

- posted      Profile for larisse   Email larisse         Edit/Delete Post 
Well... I like the organza skirts the best, either in the tea length (8552) or the ball length (8005). It has a nice airy look. The ball length would be good if you prefer a no heel or low heel shoe.

As for the tops, I like the taffeta corset top (8231) and the two tone empire top (8312), but only with the ball length skirt. I, especially, like the strapless lace top (8323) which I think works well with both the lengths and adds a dimension of texture.

Actually, the georgette a-line skirt looks great with the tops I've mentioned, as well.

Too bad the color isn't wood violet, because the ruched halter top (8215) and the organza ball length skirt (8005) would be great together.

Um yeah... I am probably no help at all. I am sure you'll look fine with whatever you pick out though.

Posts: 822 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fallow
Member # 6268

- posted      Profile for fallow   Email fallow         Edit/Delete Post 
definitely strapless or minimal straps and none of that bunched up business. no skirts that have a shape of their own.

isn't it kind of hard to make a decision w/o knowing what the bride, groom and groomsmen are wearing? maybe I missed something.

good luck, mack.

fallow

Posts: 3061 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mrs.M
Member # 2943

- posted      Profile for Mrs.M   Email Mrs.M         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmmmm...

From what I can tell from the pictures, you have an enviously proportional figure and nice, long lines despite your height (which is the same as mine, btw). I would go with top 8228 and skirt 8225. I think this emphasize your long lines and make you look soft and elegant at the same time.

However, you really should wear a heel that's at least 2.5 inches. The heels with square toes won't squish you.

Also, you must try these on. I could be entirely wrong about your figure and/or the material could fall in a way that I didn't anticipate.

Posts: 3037 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

proportional figure and nice long lines? *blink*

And yeah, I'm going to try it on. A friend/coworker and I are hitting up david's bridal for a lunch. [Smile]

LadyDove
Member # 3000

quote:
I would go with top 8228
Is this 8226, or were there others I missed?
Posts: 2425 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ralphie
Member # 1565

- posted      Profile for Ralphie   Email Ralphie         Edit/Delete Post 
Found it.
Posts: 7600 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

I HAVE that one. I need a NEW one.
fallow
Member # 6268

- posted      Profile for fallow   Email fallow         Edit/Delete Post 
something borrowed? something blue?
something tried and trusted, something new?

fallow

PS. *shimmies into #8469*

PSS. whoa that is the lameness of my single self for the above. *grins and bears it*

Posts: 3061 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aretee
Member # 1743

- posted      Profile for aretee   Email aretee         Edit/Delete Post 
Ralphie, that dress only looks good with the goatee! What are you saying about Mac?

Mac, I think you should challenge her to a duel!

[ April 15, 2004, 09:30 AM: Message edited by: aretee ]

Posts: 1735 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
Ladydove, it's in the section of ones that are already blue.

I think that looks very elegant, Mrs. M. :applauds:

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LadyDove
Member # 3000

Thanks pooka.
*blushes*Silly me,I didn't notice the scroll arrows.

Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

- posted      Profile for Beren One Hand           Edit/Delete Post 
"And I've also been described as 'Feline.'"

I think my exact wording was "sex kitten."

purrrrrrrrrrrrr [Smile]

Posts: 4116 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.