FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Need advice on a petty subject

Author Topic: Need advice on a petty subject
jeniwren
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for jeniwren   Email jeniwren         Edit/Delete Post 
Not petty to the kids involved, but I'd like to know what you think.

For my son's birthday (March 19), he decided to defer his celebration until after the baseball season started, so he could go to a Mariners game for his birthday party. Sounded good to me (it's cheaper than what we did last year), so I told him he could invite three friends to come with.

The game is this Friday. As it happens two of the three boys have a birthday this week. One was yesterday. The other is on Saturday.

One thing I wanted to do was have my son's name posted on the score board congratulating him on his birthday. The boy whose birthday was yesterday is currently going through a really rough time -- his parents seperated last week. He's been *really* excited about getting to go to this game. Since I knew it was his birthday, on impulse I went ahead and arranged to have HIS birthday also announced on the score board.

After I got off the phone with the Mariners' customer service person, I remembered the other boy whose birthday is on Saturday.

It costs $29 each for the birthday package where they post the name and congratulations message on the board (it also includes a baseball cap and other goodies). Should I go ahead and get the other (Saturday birthday) boy a birthday package too? If I do that, it's going to leave just one boy without a birthday package -- his birthday isn't until November and it would be absurd to put HIS name on the board too. He'll get a t-shirt for going to the game -- that's the giveaway promo they're running for that game. So the third boy won't be leaving empty handed.

What do you think? Buy the boy whose birthday is on Saturday the package and have his name up on the board too? These are all really nice boys. I'm looking forward to getting to spend the time with them. I don't *think* the last boy whose birthday is in November would have any problem with it. But I also don't think the boy whose birthday is on Saturday would get upset if his name *isn't* on the score board. His dad is throwing him a party on Saturday, which we're planning to go to.

Should I? Shouldn't I?

Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vwiggin
Member # 926

- posted      Profile for vwiggin   Email vwiggin         Edit/Delete Post 
[Kiss]

I guess this is what Hatrack is made of.

Posts: 1592 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
You could get the fourth boy a "happy life-day" package. Glad you're alive!
Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
*thinks* Talk to his dad. But my instinct would be to put his name up there too. That leaves one kid without his name up there, but then, it's not his birthday. I think that's okay.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
How about an un-birthday package?

"A very happy unbirthay to you!" "To me!?"

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
I think the november boy should realize that it's not his birthday. I guess if it's not a matter of dire financial impact, you could also wish him a happy unbirthday.

Mack jinxed me. But it occurs to me that might embarrass him. I guess this is supposed to be a surprise, so there's not anyone reliable you can ask.

[ April 13, 2004, 02:49 PM: Message edited by: pooka ]

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
Unbirthday! Great idea, Mack! I would totally do that.
Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
how old are the kids? I'd talk to the parents of the 3rd kid with the birthday that is already having a party. If they are at all sympathetic parents I'd explain the situation, tell them why you put the 2nd boy's name on and maybe ask them what they think. If they want boy 3s name included then maybe they would be willing to help with the $30.

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeniwren
Member # 2002

Thanks everyone for the suggestions! [Smile] Silly thing to worry over, I know, but I want them to have a good time.

My husband suggested going ahead and getting the Saturday boy one of the birthday packages also, get his name on the board, and then just get a baseball cap for the November boy. That way they all get caps and tshirts as "party favors". I think all of them will be happy with that.

edit: AJ, they're aged 9 to 11. Fun ages. [Smile]

[ April 13, 2004, 05:25 PM: Message edited by: jeniwren ]

Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

- posted      Profile for Jim-Me   Email Jim-Me         Edit/Delete Post 
Jeni, it's precisely the way you sweat little things like this that makes you so cool!
Posts: 3846 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeniwren
Member # 2002

[Kiss] TAK/Jim

That was very sweet, thank you.

Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Mack, shouldn't that be "A very MERRY un-birthday"?

That's what JenniK says it should be.... [Evil]

Kwea

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
edgardu
Member # 242

- posted      Profile for edgardu           Edit/Delete Post 
uh.. if you plan to put those two other boys on the board, wouldn't you have to then add something extra for your son? After all, this is trip supposed to be all about him. It wouldn't be fair to him if his day is no different from that of his friends.
Posts: 176 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

- posted      Profile for MyrddinFyre           Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmm... just wanted to say that for my brother's last two birthdays we went to Mariners games. Great idea [Smile]
Posts: 3636 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LadyDove
Member # 3000

- posted      Profile for LadyDove   Email LadyDove         Edit/Delete Post 
You are very sweet to get the other birthday boys a package.

If the Nov B'day boy is mature enough, then I'd make him part of the conspiracy. I'd buy him one of those disposable cameras and put him in charge of taking pictures of the boards as the other kids' names flash. As long as he feels important to the process, I doubt he'll feel left out.

[ April 13, 2004, 10:30 PM: Message edited by: LadyDove ]

Posts: 2425 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeniwren
Member # 2002

edgar, I'm not worried about my son feeling cheated by not having 100% of the limelight. He's just not that kind of kid. He knows the party is for him. The name on the scoreboard thing is just one part of the birthday celebration.

Myrddin, we try to get to at least a couple of games a year. [Smile] This was a really good excuse to take a bunch of boys and have a great time. These particular boys are so nice to be around that I know we'll have a good time. And we're playing the Rangers, so hopefully we'll win! [Smile]

LadyDove, the November boy is the youngest of the group (he's 8 or 9, I'm not sure which), but I think that's a great idea. He's a kid you just can't fail to like. He was born with severe birth defects, of the type that the babies usually die. Organs outside his body, that sort of thing. I really believe that kids who survive such adversity turn out to be spectacular human beings. He's certainly an example of it, in any case. He's got a great sense of humor and a generous spirit. I don't think he'll have a problem with the other boys birthday congrats, but I'll put him in charge of getting pictures of the boards just in case. And I'll get him a baseball cap too, so all the boys get hats and t's. Thanks so much for the suggestion!

fallow
Member # 6268

- posted      Profile for fallow   Email fallow         Edit/Delete Post 
jeniwren,

I'd put all the boy's names (birthday's peripheral) on there. If they are friends, what will mean the most to them is being at the game together and getting to see their names together. The birthday/spotlight thing is secondary (they know whose birthday they are celebrating and the cool mom that made the day).

fallow

Posts: 3061 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.