FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Puzzles anyone?

Author Topic: Puzzles anyone?
punwit
Member # 6388

- posted      Profile for punwit   Email punwit         Edit/Delete Post 
Besides puns, homebrew and good conversation I also enjoy the occaisional puzzle. I've got a number sequence that appeared in a book called CUCKOO'S EGG. I'll post the sequence and anyone that wants the answer can e-mail me at junkaccount @sbcglobal.net Please feel free to contribute.

The sequence 1,11,21,1211,
The objective: find the next number in sequence using the rules applied to the first 4 numbers. I will give one additional number in this series if so requested.

Posts: 2022 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vána
Member # 3262

- posted      Profile for Vána   Email Vána         Edit/Delete Post 
I think we already did this particular sequence puzzle! If it's the same, then the next number should be 111221.

Yes?

Posts: 2661 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
punwit
Member # 6388

Oh darn, yep that's right.
Posts: 2022 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vána
Member # 3262

- posted      Profile for Vána   Email Vána         Edit/Delete Post 
heehee - that's okay. [Smile] Do you have any more?
Posts: 2661 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
punwit
Member # 6388

Well I'll have to dig. That was always my favorite one cause you hafta think outside the box. How bout you?
punwit
Member # 6388

For those that haven't previously seen this sequence, have a go. You got an extra #. Anyone else have a good puzzle please contribute.
jehovoid
Member # 2014

- posted      Profile for jehovoid   Email jehovoid         Edit/Delete Post 

121112211?

Posts: 3056 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
punwit
Member # 6388

Nope and it would help if you clarify by stating the rule you are using to progress from one number to the next.
jehovoid
Member # 2014

Well, I was thinking that 1 always gets added to the end, two 1s become a 2, and 2s get 1s added to the left.
Posts: 3056 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jehovoid
Member # 2014

2111121211 maybe.

if 11 becomes 21; 12 becomes 1112; 21 becomes 1211.

punwit
Member # 6388

Jehovoid, I see sorta what you mean and you aren't far from the truth but you aren't exactly there. If you mail me at junkaccount@sbcglobal.net I will send you the next sequence.
punwit
Member # 6388

Well yes but I would suggest that 12 becomes 1112 becomes 3112
jehovoid
Member # 2014

Ah. And then the real fun begins.
punwit
Member # 6388

jehovoid I sent the next in the series to your hotmail account. I'm not trying to pull some e-mail shenanigan. I just want to leave it open for those that haven't seen it before.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.