FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » WWGD?

Author Topic: WWGD?
Alexa
Member # 6285

- posted      Profile for Alexa           Edit/Delete Post 
what would god do?

The three Japanese civilians have been released. [The Wave] Two want to return. The girl says she can not think of the Iraqi people as bad, despite her horrible experience. WOW. What an awsome display of what I consider to be Christian love.

But now I am left to wonder...Now there are many people who are probably thanking God for their safe return, as I am sure there have been many prayers in their behalf. I know of at least 2 for sure who have prayed for them.

Is thanking God appropriate? Did he play a role in their release? Does giving God credit keep us focused on God so we act better--kind of a positive energy thing that affects everyone? Or is giving God credit ludicrous?

Posts: 1034 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Slash the Berzerker
Member # 556

- posted      Profile for Slash the Berzerker   Email Slash the Berzerker         Edit/Delete Post 
I find it hard to credit god with the saving of those three people, without also blaming him for the guy who got shot in the head.

Either "time and unforeseen circumstances befall all men" or they don't.

Posts: 5383 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
I have been taught that God is offended if we don't acknowledge his hand in all things. I supposed that must include the bad as well as the good. If something bad comes to pass due to someone's free will, I think God gave them that free will. Apparently God would rather be believed in than thought popular.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike
Member # 55

- posted      Profile for Mike   Email Mike         Edit/Delete Post 
The idea of God being offended at anything seems utterly strange to me. But maybe that's just me. [Dont Know]
Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Slash the Berzerker
Member # 556

- posted      Profile for Slash the Berzerker   Email Slash the Berzerker         Edit/Delete Post 
If I was god, I would be offended at all the stuff people claimed I told them to do.

"The crusaders say I told them to do what?"

Posts: 5383 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ak
Member # 90

- posted      Profile for ak   Email ak         Edit/Delete Post 
If I were God, I'd feel awfully flattered that Bach wrote the B Minor Mass for me. [Smile]
Posts: 2843 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know about God, but you might want to thank Allah. You can thank the Iraqi Muslim Cleric Association (I think it's called). They secured their release.
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John L
Member # 6005

- posted      Profile for John L           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
What an awsome display of what I consider to be Christian love.
And what if the girl is not Christian, but Muslim or Shinto? Is it still Christian love? What if it's an atheist? Is it an awesom display of atheist love? Agnostic love?

Why can't we just commend mankind for its accomplishments alone, instead of belittling it by attributing your own beliefs to other people's behavior?

Posts: 779 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Silverblue Sun
Member # 1630

- posted      Profile for The Silverblue Sun   Email The Silverblue Sun         Edit/Delete Post 
People are people.
They've been given free will
and are flawed.
so to get power,
or escape from blame,
the use the GOD told me to do it
scam.

Here is the DEAL.

JESUS.
#1 SON of GOD,
gave us two laws.

#1 LOVE GOD

ABOVE all else, GOD is #1.
Super supreme, giver of all good.

#2 Love your family (all the earthlings)

If they voice in your head strays from the BASE of these 2 teachings...it's not the all super One speaking.

"God told me to advance His word with Guns, Bombs and knives."

No he did not.

<T>

Posts: 2752 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brinestone
Member # 5755

- posted      Profile for Brinestone   Email Brinestone         Edit/Delete Post 
Thor, I couldn't agree with you more.
Posts: 1903 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.