FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Just 3 album suggestions [A Game?]

Author Topic: Just 3 album suggestions [A Game?]
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
So this type of thread pops up every once in a while, but I'd like to keep it simple, on this night where I am ripping my CD collection to disk (meager 50 or CDs that it is).

Here's the deal, list 3 albums, preferably off the beaten path a bit (either obscure groups, or an overlooked album of a more famous band), and give the group name and genre.

No lyrics and no reviews please! I'm hoping this thread can be a repository of Jatraquero musical knowledge that we can refer newbies and the like to in the future.

1) Project Infinity - Man or Astroman?
GENRE: Heavy surf rock, mostly instrumental, with scifi samples

2) The Charm of the Highway Strip - The Magnetic Fields
GENRE: Indie Country Pop

3) Fables of the Reconstruction... - REM
Genre: Country/Alt. Rock fusion

Carry on!

-Bok

EDIT: Because people are suckers for "game" threads [Big Grin]

[ April 16, 2004, 10:10 PM: Message edited by: Bokonon ]

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

- posted      Profile for Beren One Hand           Edit/Delete Post 
Three CDs I can listen to over and over again:

1. MTV Unplugged (10,000 Manics)

2. Throwing Copper (Live)

3. Legend of the Falls (James Horner)

<-- sucker! [Big Grin]

[ April 16, 2004, 10:12 PM: Message edited by: Beren One Hand ]

Posts: 4116 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
1) Hit and Run – Big Sugar

These guys are a great Canadian blues rock band who are, unfortunately, throwing in the towel. This is a two-disc set; the first disc is their singles collection and the second is a live show.

2) Absolution – Muse

The first thing people ask me when they hear Muse is "is this Radiohead?" Well, no. Muse are everything I wanted Radiohead to become after The Bends.

3) () – Sigur Rós

This defies brief description.

[ April 16, 2004, 10:20 PM: Message edited by: twinky ]

Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

Less review, more genre, twinky.

*Shakes head disapprovingly*

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
I edited it. Still less?
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

I was joking, You should describe each group a little bit, but try not to moon over any selection (or else I'll never stop talking about the Magnetic Fields [Smile] )

-Bok

knightswhosayni!
Member # 4096

- posted      Profile for knightswhosayni!   Email knightswhosayni!         Edit/Delete Post 
19 wheels- Jawbreaker (hear parts of the album here: 19wheels.com)
A local band I like. kind of poppy, but addictive. Also a really great live band.

Eve6- It's All in your Head
Thier albums only get better. I love the wordplay, and interesting rythms.

Maroon5- Songs about Jane
Yes, it's getting a lot of radio play, but that's cause it's addictive. My mom described it as a cross between Stevie Wonder and Nsync, so it's poppy.

Ni!

Posts: 828 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayelar
Member # 183

- posted      Profile for Ayelar   Email Ayelar         Edit/Delete Post 
Pff, I could care less about what the album is named.... I want to know why someone likes it before I'll consider it. [Smile]

Case in point: I've added Muse: Absolution to my iTMS cart after reading twinky's blurb.

Blurb on, people. [Big Grin]

Posts: 2220 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stan the man
Member # 6249

- posted      Profile for Stan the man   Email Stan the man         Edit/Delete Post 
3? ok.

1) Nothing Safe-Best Of The Box - Alice in Chains Rock

2) Xiii - Mushroomhead Alternative Metal

3) Shadow Zone - Static-X Techno Rock

Posts: 2208 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

Ayelar, go create a separate thread then [Smile]

-Bok

Ayelar
Member # 183

Maybe I will, Bok. Maybe I will!!
Posts: 2220 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

Hey, don't forget to show us your picture Ayelar. [Smile]
Posts: 4116 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayelar
Member # 183

Picture?
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

Ahem
skillery
Member # 6209

- posted      Profile for skillery   Email skillery         Edit/Delete Post 
1) Images and Words - Dream Theater
Progressive metal, heavy on guitar and drums, New York City/Broadway sound.

2) Mezzanine - Massive Attack
Dark, sometimes sinister trip-hop.

3) Mirror Conspiracy - Thievery Corporation
Ambient trip-hop.

Posts: 2655 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CalvinMaker
Member # 2032

- posted      Profile for CalvinMaker   Email CalvinMaker         Edit/Delete Post 
Both CD's by Splender . Not sure what they're called and too lazy to look it up. They're a mellower alternative band.
Posts: 1934 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
www.mazika.com

just go there.

Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mintieman
Member # 4620

- posted      Profile for Mintieman   Email Mintieman         Edit/Delete Post 
1) Radiohead - Ok Computer
The best album of the 90s by my reckoning, amazing art rock.

2) Franz Ferdinand - Self Titled

Fun Energetic Rock from a band in Glasgow

3) The Flaming Lips - Yoshimi battles the Pink Robots

Spacey Pop Rock that is catchy as hell, and a blast live

Posts: 122 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cashew
Member # 6023

- posted      Profile for Cashew   Email Cashew         Edit/Delete Post 
1) Neil Young, "Unplugged" bit conventional I know, but couldn't live without it.
2) Frank Zappa, "Burnt Weeny Sandwich" unclassifiable, but the two wonderful guitar soloes on "Burnt Weeny Sandwich" and "Holiday in Berlin, full blown"!!!! + side 2.
3)The Waterboys, "Fisherman's Blues" Irish rock, with a Beatles cover, a Van Morrison cover and some other amazing stuff.

Posts: 867 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

- posted      Profile for MyrddinFyre           Edit/Delete Post 
Rasputina - Thanks for the Ether: Girly cello trio

Sprung Monkey - Sprung Monkey: Happy San Diego band

The Dresden Dolls - The Dresden Dolls: ummm, carnival? Genres are hard O_o

[edit - forgot the word "the" >.< ]

[ April 17, 2004, 08:29 AM: Message edited by: MyrddinFyre ]

Posts: 3636 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
StallingCow
Member # 6401

- posted      Profile for StallingCow   Email StallingCow         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd have to go with:

Ruby Vroom by Soul Coughing (though Irresistible Bliss is up there too) - these guys are more lyric and rhythm based... not a real easy way to describe them, so I'd suggest listening to the samples at the amazon link.

Holy, Smoke... It's Swervy World! by, of course, Swervy World - these guys are street performers I heard in England, buskers really. They play a mix of jive, jazz and traditional music, with varying instrumentation (sax, bass, fiddle, kazoo) and interesting interpretations (Take Five... but in 4/4 time). Unfortunately, all the albums are sold out at the moment on their site.

Unfortunately, my third choice would be Seventeen Legs by a band called Day 19, which was a local ska band that is no more. Can't find anything on the web, or even eBay, that carries that album. One Cool Guy, another local ska band, at least still has a page, but their albums are all sold out... From Downtown was really fun.

Ah well. Those are the three (well, five) that I can listen to over and over.

Posts: 106 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

- posted      Profile for Jim-Me   Email Jim-Me         Edit/Delete Post 
3 GREAT Albums utterly lost in the birth and heyday of Grunge:

A Ha - East of the Sun, West of the Moon
yes, these are the "one-hit wonders" of the mid 80's with the really cool semi-animated pencil sketch video "Take On Me". U2ish alt pop, not the syth pop they are famous for.

Van Halen - Balance
Their last album with Sammy Hagar. Album Oriented Rock at it's finest.

Simple Minds - Good News from the Next World
again, kinda U2ish alternative.

[ April 17, 2004, 10:45 AM: Message edited by: Jim-Me ]

Posts: 3846 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

Bah. Aha was not a one hit wonder... they had a James Bond song! [Smile]
Posts: 3636 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

- posted      Profile for Jim-Me   Email Jim-Me         Edit/Delete Post 
and actually quite successful in Europe, but in America, people generally remember the video and that one supersonically high note...
Posts: 3846 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

So tragic. Ah well. ^^
solo
Member # 3148

- posted      Profile for solo   Email solo         Edit/Delete Post 
De-loused In The Comatorium by The Mars Volta
Experimental punk/prog rock. Amazing drumming and guitar work.

Australasia by Pelican
Instrumental Metal. I have only listened to this a couple of times so far, but I am really enjoying it.

Waste And Tragedy by The Smalls
Punk/Metal with old country influences. These guys unfortunately are no more, though their bass player has gone on to have a pretty successful career in country music (The Corb Lund Band).

Posts: 1336 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
Donna the Buffalo:The Ones You Love
Roots Rock

Jorma Kaukonen: Quah
rock-blues?

Neil Young: Harvest Moon
rock/country-rock

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
UofUlawguy
Member # 5492

- posted      Profile for UofUlawguy   Email UofUlawguy         Edit/Delete Post 
1) Donde Jugaran los Ninos? -- Mana
Mexican Rock with a caribbean flavor

2) Serendipity -- Stonecircle
Celtic folk music by a local band from Salt Lake City

3) Piano Man -- Billy Joel
Really good pop, but several songs have a country/bluegrass feel. Check out Travelin' Prayer and You're My Home!

[ April 23, 2004, 05:58 PM: Message edited by: UofUlawguy ]

Posts: 1652 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
peterh
Member # 5208

- posted      Profile for peterh   Email peterh         Edit/Delete Post 
Voice of the Beehive - Let it Bee. (I just got the CD off ebay after wearing out this 80's pop band's tape)

Peter Breinholt - Live (Live performance of Utah Folk performer)

Cure - Standing on a beach (Alternative singles collection)

Posts: 995 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
1) "Grosse Pointe Blank" soundtrack
A bunch of weird 80's stuff like Violent Femmes, The Clash, and Guns n' Roses, and one awesome song by Los Fabulosos Cadillacs

2) "Machine" by Static-X
Pretty heavy, lots of synth, fastpaced, and not too much distortion (a bonus in my book)...plus a short called Bienvenidos which is a funky little polka/mariachi weird thing

3) "Captured Angel" by Dan Fogelberg
What can I say? Seventies folk/rock (or something like that) from a dude that looks like Jesus

[ April 23, 2004, 08:35 PM: Message edited by: PSI Teleport ]

Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Bok, are we only allowed three total, or three at a time?
Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Oooh, wait, he is off at the Hatrack gathering. I am going to sneak three more in.

Desire, by Bob Dylan:
Folk

Hapa, by Hapa with Stephen Stills
Hawaiian folk music

Never Be Its Own, by Crow Greenspun
Sort of a mix of genres-(young singer-songwriter)

Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
I could easily describe all of my favorites as "world," but that's rather general, doncha think?

1. Garmarna - Vengeance
broody alt rock with a Euro techno leaning - but the catch is that the lyrics are all medieval Scandinavian songs

2. Zebda - Essence Ordinaire
generally, it falls into the French rap category, but keep in mind that French rap isn't American rap. No drive-by shootings, no capping cops. A lot of Arabic/Raï instrumentation, a lot of pensive yet powerful lyrics.

3. Shakira - Pies Descalzos
it's not Christina, OK? Just because she's a sexy Latin diva doesn't mean she sucks. This album is really diverse and features reggae to rock to funky jazz on "Te Espero Sentada." She writes & produces her own stuff, and this early album is classic.

[ April 23, 2004, 06:41 PM: Message edited by: Annie ]

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Annie, Donna the Buffalo coming to SLC in July-free show. Go, go, go!
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
1. Breach - The Wallflowers

First CD I ever bought myself. Very low key, very calm. Jakob Dylan has the kind of voice that gets in your head...

2. Frou Frou - Frou Frou

Europop/techno that's soft, relaxing and insanely catchy. Just check it out. PLEASE.

3. Never Die Young - James Taylor

Ummm.. Easy listening 70's folk. Shut up. I like him.

[ April 23, 2004, 08:33 PM: Message edited by: Ryuko ]

Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
Ryuko, dude, James Taylor is cool.

*hits chest with fist*

Right on.

Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
(hugs PSI)
Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

American Beaty, by the Grateful Dead
Roots Rock

Asbury Park, by Bruce Springsteen
Folk/Rock

Rumour and Sigh, Richard Thompson
British Folk/Rock INTENSE.

Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Sweet Baby James, by James taylor
Folk/Light Rock

Human Fly, by The Horse Flies
Alternative Bluegrass-Old time. Bluegrass meets Michael Stipe.

Born to Run, by Bruce Sringsteen
Rock

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.