FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » TEACHERS: Ender in the classroom

Author Topic: TEACHERS: Ender in the classroom
littlelf
Member # 6145

- posted      Profile for littlelf   Email littlelf         Edit/Delete Post 
Greetings! I'm fairly new here, but I was curious to hear from people who have used Ender's Game in the classroom. I will be introducing it to my curriculum for the first time next year.

[Wave]

Posts: 72 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Trogdor the Burninator
Member # 4894

- posted      Profile for Trogdor the Burninator   Email Trogdor the Burninator         Edit/Delete Post 
Do you look like Legolas?

**burninates little elf**

Posts: 1481 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
littlelf
Member # 6145

More like Arwen: Rivendale elf and Female. [Wink]
Posts: 72 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aeroth
Member # 6269

- posted      Profile for Aeroth   Email Aeroth         Edit/Delete Post 
I remember highly recommending Ender's Game to be used in the classroom to a teacher, but unfortunately, the book wasn't district-approved.
Posts: 121 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
littlelf
Member # 6145

I had that problem as well when I was teaching at a public school. Now that I'm at a private school, I made my adminstrator read it, and he agreed that it had educational value and appeal. I have a couple of ideas for lessons but I am interested in more tried and true ideas from those who have had success with the book.

[Hat]

ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
Hi, littlelf. [Smile]

There is a teacher's section in the Research Area of this site, complete with discussion topics, etc. However, I'm curious to see if there are any personal stories about this from our teachers here, too.

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lcarus
Member # 4395

- posted      Profile for lcarus           Edit/Delete Post 
I almost used it, but in the end I didn't. *shrug*
Posts: 1112 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
OOC?
[Wink]

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lcarus
Member # 4395

- posted      Profile for lcarus           Edit/Delete Post 
[Big Grin]
Posts: 1112 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
UTAH
Member # 5032

- posted      Profile for UTAH   Email UTAH         Edit/Delete Post 
I began reading Ender's Game to my sixth graders last year, as a teacher read aloud. Before I finished the second chapter I changed my mind. I thought the violence and language was too harsh for their tender psyches. I told them to be sure and read it when they are in high school. It's one of the best books they'll ever read. Hopefully they'll remember. . .
Posts: 277 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
littlelf
Member # 6145

I, too, read it as a read aloud when I was teaching public school. That way, I was able to bleep out the questionable language (really tone it down, not bleep). The kids were absolutely riveted. Even though I agree it is a violent story for 12 year olds, we had some great disscussions about the choices Ender made and why he made them. Parents of non-readers asked me my their children were reading (the rest of the series) on stop!
littlelf
Member # 6145

Oh, yeah, thanks Claudia. I have been to the research section of this website. I will be using and adapting some of the suggestions there; however, in large measure, the contributors seem to be secondary teachers. I was hoping there were more teachers out there who use the book that might not have shared their ideas there.
aretee
Member # 1743

- posted      Profile for aretee   Email aretee         Edit/Delete Post 
I read it to my freshmen last year. My AP kids were spellbound. I could really get them to shut up if not reading to them was a punishment. I didn't really bleep anything out, as I heard them say much worse in the hallways.

It was a good experience. Especially when I got to NATO and the Warsaw pact in history. You should have seen their little brains working! [Big Grin]

Posts: 1735 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
What's the grade level at which you're aiming, LE?
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

- posted      Profile for Altįriėl of Dorthonion   Email Altįriėl of Dorthonion         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh yeah, I used to be in another district that did approve OSC novels. We got to read Ender's Game, Seventh Son, and Red Prophet. But then, I moved, and my district doesn't approve them, but that's because they don't even know OSC. Damn bastards [Wall Bash] !! I want them all dead until they read them!!! [Razz]
Posts: 3389 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
littlelf
Member # 6145

Hey Tom,

I teach sixth grade. I extremely excited today becasue my administrator just officially approved my lit budget today, which includes a class set of the YA version on EG! Woo Hoo!

TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Is the young adult version different in any meaningful way?
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beatnix19
Member # 5836

- posted      Profile for beatnix19   Email beatnix19         Edit/Delete Post 
No, Just the cover is different. A picture of Ender in his suit in the battle room. I bought this edition for my classroom as well. It's a dollar cheaper and a bit larger but the text is exactly the same.

Just a side note I really don't like the cover because the battle room and suit look nothing like I would have pictured but it does have more visual appeal then the standard paperback cover.

(edit for idiotic spelling mistakes)

[ April 21, 2004, 09:37 AM: Message edited by: beatnix19 ]

Posts: 1294 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beatnix19
Member # 5836

- posted      Profile for beatnix19   Email beatnix19         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually there is a small difference. On page 61 of the Definitive Edition Ender uses the "N" word with Alai in there first battle room experience. This is removed from the YA edition. But I seem to remeber hearing him say that he had removed it all together(I have an older copy) because too many people had gotten side tracked into racial discussions when that was not his intention. But as I teach in an Urban School I was just as glad not to have to address that issue.
Posts: 1294 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
We read it to the kids in our classroom, unedited. They drank it in. They are not readers as a group, but they signed up to read it themselves after we were done, and I bought a copy of Ender's Shadow which they also ate up.
Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aretee
Member # 1743

- posted      Profile for aretee   Email aretee         Edit/Delete Post 
I finished Ender's Game with about two weeks left in school in my AP class. I asked them if they wanted me to start Ender's Shadow and they were spellbound. All I did the last day was read to them (for an 85 minute block) and they were silent. They were mad when the bell rang and I'm sure that two or three of them bought Ender's Shadow after that.
Posts: 1735 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
The only other book we read that came close to holding their attention so closely was "Holes."
Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
unicornwhisperer
Member # 294

- posted      Profile for unicornwhisperer   Email unicornwhisperer         Edit/Delete Post 
When I was a Senior in High School my Honor's English Teacher had us pick a novel to read from a long list: and Ender's Game was on it. Guess what book I chose to read. [Smile]

(It was actually my second time reading it..but shhh don't tell anyone)

[ April 21, 2004, 12:18 PM: Message edited by: unicornwhisperer ]

Posts: 1417 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.