FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Is my daughter brilliant?

Author Topic: Is my daughter brilliant?
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
My eldest daughter's fifth grade teacher told me that Natalie's writing made her cry. She asked me if I'd read much of it, and I said no, Natalie doesn't like to show me her writing. We do talk about writing, but she doesn't voluntarily show it to me. So, the teacher gave me copies of three poems that she wrote.

What do you think?

quote:

When Life is Worth Living

Life isn't really something
that many of us understand
Life is about experiences
Things that we cherish, forever

Life has obstacles that
must be overcome
Some of us overcome these obstacles
Better than others

Some of us have more more to overcome
But life is worth living when we
turn those obstacles, into
experiences.

quote:

Changes

A tadpole into a frog
Winter into spring
Child into adult
Our world is filled with wonder
It is filled with changes
Some of these changes cannot be
explained by humans
But only through what you know.
You may wish sometimes that certain
changes did not take place but...
They do

You may not realize it but..
Someday you will see
Why those changes took place
Most changes are for the good
The only changes that are bad are made by You

Choices lead to changes
So don't make wrong choices if you don't
want bad changes.

However some changes are made by nature
and other people
You have no control ofver
these possible bad changes
You only have control over
you own choices and changes
Choose wisely
Change wisely

quote:

Rules

Why live by the rules?
Why eat and rink and dress
and talk and behave in a
certain way when someone tells you to?

You may ask "Why must I do
what they tell me? Why can't I
just express myself?"

You have the right to be you
to express your individuality
But the truth is
there are rules you must follow
laws, dress codes, house rules,
dining etiquette, schedules
You can be unique inside these rules

Rules are made to protect us
They are not punishments
They are safety limits
that help us live in an
organized world

So be you, but follow the rules.

That last one, I see a lot of one of my recent discussions with her about why parents make rules for their kids, and how I want them to be individuals, and I will trust them to make good choices, but that the rules are set up because I love them.

I don't know if she's brilliant or not - but I love her. And I'm proud of her. [Smile]

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Derrell
Member # 6062

- posted      Profile for Derrell   Email Derrell         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, she is brilliant. That is some cool writing.
Posts: 4569 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MaydayDesiax
Member # 5012

- posted      Profile for MaydayDesiax   Email MaydayDesiax         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow.. that's really, really, REALLY good.

She deserves a big hug from a proud parent, sounds like.

Posts: 873 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

She thinks she's too old and too cool for hugs, Mayday.

But she gets them anyway. [Wink]

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

- posted      Profile for Beren One Hand           Edit/Delete Post 
"So be you, but follow the rules."

I love this line. [Smile]

Posts: 4116 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phanto
Member # 5897

- posted      Profile for Phanto           Edit/Delete Post 
They hurt me to read because they're so optimistic and I'm in a cynical mood.

Touching, though.

Posts: 3060 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow! Very cool poems. [Smile]

quote:
She thinks she's too old and too cool for hugs, Mayday.

But she gets them anyway. [Wink]

Good! Seriously, I think that's really important.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Belle,

She writes very clearly.

I'm not sure what the market is for conformist poets -- usually they have to be radical extremists these days. But she is still a pre-teen. Once she hits the teen years, she'll have plenty of angst to inspire her poetry, no doubt.

Until then...enjoy!

Very good stuff.

And she's already writing about her own experiences. Takes after her mom.

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
Aww. Her poetry is very good [Embarrassed] )
Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jehovoid
Member # 2014

- posted      Profile for jehovoid   Email jehovoid         Edit/Delete Post 
Good use of enjambment.

(edit: I guess I should add, does she even know what enjambment is? What do you think her influences are, where does she get her style from, why doesn't it rhyme?)

[ April 18, 2004, 09:26 PM: Message edited by: jehovoid ]

Posts: 3056 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, you must be so proud of her! It is really cool when you realize that your child is paying attention to what you teach and taking it to heart. It sounds like she is listening. [Smile]

I know a lot of people look at these poems as overly-idealistic, but I think children need to be inspired by optomism as they live in a cynical and sometimes ugly world. Parents who teach children wisdom and thoughful obedience to good principles are treasures. I hope that I can do half so well.

Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
angelily
Member # 6298

- posted      Profile for angelily   Email angelily         Edit/Delete Post 
Now why can't I write so well? [Cry]
Posts: 58 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
[Smile] Yes, she is wonderful, Belle - nurture that talent however you can and in wahtever way works for her. [Smile]
Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jexx
Member # 3450

- posted      Profile for jexx   Email jexx         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, your daughter is amazing.

I expect nothing less from your offspring. [Smile]

Seriously, she's what, ten? Scary.

I love that she 'gets' boundaries in the last poem. She is very clear in that piece. It's not so much her writing (which is very good, of course), but her choice of subject matter that impresses me. Whether she is literarily gifted or not, that girl is turning into a righteous human being.

She has excellent parents. You are all very blessed to have one another.

Yay!

Posts: 1545 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DOG
Member # 5428

- posted      Profile for DOG   Email DOG         Edit/Delete Post 
It's all about control! Control, I tell you! Control! Gack!

Belle, you've got an amazingly gifted daughter! Those are some pretty advanced ideas she's got there!

You may need to find her a literary agent.

Posts: 121 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

She's 11.

I don't think she has a style, why it doesn't rhyme I don't know on these three, past poems she's written do rhyme.

She does read a lot of poetry, I've given her books of poetry and she's gotten them from the library.

The one about choices really got to me, because she has been through so much this least year, because of poor choices other people have made. The divorce of my parents has been so difficult for her, it breaks my heart that at 11 she is having to experience these feelings.

Epictetus
Member # 6235

- posted      Profile for Epictetus   Email Epictetus         Edit/Delete Post 
Poems do not necessarily have to rhyme. In fact some of the best poetry I've read doesn't rhyme. I think your daughter has a great love of writing and you should try to encourage that as best you can. She would really dig a good creative writing class.
Posts: 681 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jenny Gardener
Member # 903

- posted      Profile for Jenny Gardener   Email Jenny Gardener         Edit/Delete Post 
These are lovely. I'd love to be your daughter's writing teacher! [Smile]

You should try to find out what's been going on in the classroom language arts program. If the teacher is doing a great job, it's something she should be commended on.

There are several "markets" that publish children's writing. You may want to encourage your daughter to look into them.

Posts: 3141 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Audeo
Member # 5130

- posted      Profile for Audeo   Email Audeo         Edit/Delete Post 
I have to say I'm more impressed with her bravery. She writes very well, and I'd say she's gifted, but it takes quite a bit of bravery to write about something that she sincerely believes in. Of course, she's had her wonderful mom to teach her good values, but it can still be tough to write them knowing that other people will read them. So excellent work Belle, you have a bright, sensitive, and self-confident daughter.
Posts: 349 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeniwren
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for jeniwren   Email jeniwren         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
But life is worth living when we
turn those obstacles, into
experiences.

Belle, I love these lines.

She's very good.

Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
Your daughter is brilliant. I loved reading her first poem. It was something I really needed to read. Give Natalie a hug and tell her "Thank you" for me.
Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.