FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Somebody jumped out of my building

Author Topic: Somebody jumped out of my building
Kasie H
Member # 2120

- posted      Profile for Kasie H   Email Kasie H         Edit/Delete Post 
A freshman jumped out of the fourth floor of my dorm onto Virginia Avenue this afternoon.

He died. They don't know if it was a suicide, if he was pushed....they don't know *anything*. Seems like they never do.

I didn't know him, but it still kind of shakes you up, you know?

[Frown]

Posts: 1784 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
[Frown] Oh no.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valentine014
Member # 5981

- posted      Profile for Valentine014           Edit/Delete Post 
I can understand your shock. Someone did that at one of the dorms near me a couple of years ago. How terrible. How sad for him to feel there was no other way out.

Edit: If that was indeed the case, which I'm going to assume it was, due to the fact that suicides are more common than murder at colleges.

[ April 18, 2004, 08:25 PM: Message edited by: Valentine014 ]

Posts: 2064 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
How awful! [Frown]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
angelily
Member # 6298

- posted      Profile for angelily   Email angelily         Edit/Delete Post 
[Frown]

What did he jump out of? His room window?

Posts: 58 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kasie H
Member # 2120

We have balconies on the side facing the street. They're supposed to be sealed shut -- not because of suicide, but rather because the Watergate is concerned about lowering property value if students are hanging off the balconies right across the street -- but a lot of them open anyway.
Posts: 1784 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
angelily
Member # 6298

- posted      Profile for angelily   Email angelily         Edit/Delete Post 
So it's the school's responsibility to keep them shut?
Posts: 58 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jehovoid
Member # 2014

- posted      Profile for jehovoid   Email jehovoid         Edit/Delete Post 
Reminds me of Catcher in the Rye. Sheesh.
Posts: 3056 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
Our windows are all sealed shut above the second floor...to prevent suicides....but a lot of them can be unsealed with a pair of scissors or a pocketknife.

Mine can't, though...they've actually got a lot more sealing material on them than anyone else's windows, which really makes me wonder about the rumor of this room being haunted.... [Eek!] [Angst]

Anyways...*lots and lots of hugs for Kasie* I understand how unnerving that can be...

[ April 18, 2004, 09:30 PM: Message edited by: pH ]

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
[Frown]

We had a guy jump off the carpark next to our unit last year. The carpark that is in plain view of our apartment. Because we saw the whole thing (and could testify that he wasn't pushed) we had to talk to the police. We couldn't get there in time to stop him (it would have involved running down our four flights of stairs, across the road and then up 10 levels of carpark) so we just had to watch.

Tony had to check the body to make sure he had died.
[Frown]

It took us quite a while to get over that - it definately does shake you up.

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kasie H
Member # 2120

Well they officially deemed it a suicide. He told his roommate he had to make a personal call so his roommate would leave the room. Then he called a friend down the hall and told him what he was going to do.

Then he jumped.

[Frown]

ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, Kasie and imogen. I'm sorry. [Frown]
Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
[Frown]
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MaydayDesiax
Member # 5012

- posted      Profile for MaydayDesiax   Email MaydayDesiax         Edit/Delete Post 
(((Kasie))) I understand what you're going though.

Last month, a girl at the dorm I work in died in a car crash. Her friends on the seventh floor were distraught, and the staff found out about it on my shift. She had been drinking, and she and her boyfriend (who lived an hour away) got in an argument. She when (basically) up the down ramp, hit a tractor, and then a Jeep.

It's a big blow to you, even if you don't know the person. But for the grace of God went I, you know? I mean, I don't drink or do drugs or anything, but the people who do usually hit drivers who are sober.

(((imogen))) I'm sorry you had to see that.

Posts: 873 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doug J
Member # 1323

- posted      Profile for Doug J   Email Doug J         Edit/Delete Post 
It stays with you. The last Sunday in bootcamp a guy jumped off the building across the road from my barracks, the same building i stayed at my first month there. He was married and had a young kid and had been there less than a month. Still to this day i wonder why he just didn't tell someone he couldn't handle it, they would have given him a discharge. Trust me, it stays with you.
Posts: 7083 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.