FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The Fling-Boogie Encouragement Thread

Author Topic: The Fling-Boogie Encouragement Thread
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
I tried Flylady.net a couple years ago, but soon just had a jammed inbox. So I don't think I would ever actually do that again. But I think Banna was posting on the Weight Loss Encouragement Thread about some decluttering after New Years and I thought "we need a de-clutter thread!" And I thought this was a funny title. So no, I'm not actually on flylady, which is supposed to be babysteps to Sidetracked Home Executive. I need something even more remedial.

My sad story is that I moved 10 days after giving birth, and most of my clutter was just boxed up as it lay by loving family members. I'm having a really hard time getting around to it. Sure, I could just throw away everything I haven't opened in the last six months. :sigh: But it would kill me. Yeah, yeah, that's the thinking that got me into this mess.

I keep thinking that if I could empty one box a day, I'd be home free in a couple of months. But I had one really good day of emptying 16 boxes a month ago, and I've been living off the glow ever since.

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strong Bad
Member # 6471

- posted      Profile for Strong Bad   Email Strong Bad         Edit/Delete Post 
So stop posting on Hatrack and start emptying boxes.
Posts: 41 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaySedai
Member # 6459

- posted      Profile for CaySedai   Email CaySedai         Edit/Delete Post 
My name is Carol and I'm an organizational junkie. I collect systems and methods and emails and folders and printouts and everything ... but I'm not so good at actually doing all the stuff - just getting ready for it.

Now where's my whiteboard and markers? Gotta jot something down ...

Posts: 2034 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
AAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

She's following me! [Angst]

I was introduced to Flylady by friends on my other board, and in theory I think the emails and whole process are wonderful.

However, while I still shine my sink about half the time, and a couple other things she suggests (I've gotten much better about shoes, and about setting out things the night before), I found the unread-ever-accumulating-until-I-delete-bunches-all-at-once emails too much. So I unsubscribed.

OTOH, considering how much better this place looked right before Passover, and how cluttered it's gotten already, I'm considering an intervention.

Or a housekeeper. [Big Grin]

[ April 19, 2004, 05:45 PM: Message edited by: rivka ]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

Yeah, the good thing about a housekeeper is that I would clean up before they came over so they didn't think they were working for some kind of pig.

With the Jehovah's witnesses, I at least clean up my living room once a week.

[ April 19, 2004, 05:54 PM: Message edited by: pooka ]

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Exactly! And I know I have someone coming over Thursday morning, so a lot of this stuff WILL be taken care of (or at least relocated [Wink] ) before then.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valentine014
Member # 5981

- posted      Profile for Valentine014           Edit/Delete Post 
Hi, Carol. I'm Niki. I am an organizational junkie as well. *sigh* Yes, it's true, I have color-coded folders for each year of my monthly bills, and lists. I like to make lists. To Do lists, shopping lists, lists of books to read, I could go on and on.

OCD and me...

Posts: 2064 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

I was so confused when I found out I had OCD, because I thought that meant I should be keeping stuff really clean. But it turns out I have the "don't start it unless you can finish it" variety. Also "the best way to clean is to pull everything out first" variant that results in a bigger mess than when you started. I also suffer from "I'll put stuff in this box and promise (cross my heart) that I will put it away later".
CaySedai
Member # 6459

Pooka: you mean you don't put it away later? GASP!!!

:looks around at messy cluttered living room:

I know there's a garbage can in here ... somewhere ...

Posts: 2034 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ela
Member # 1365

- posted      Profile for Ela           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
My name is Carol and I'm an organizational junkie. I collect systems and methods and emails and folders and printouts and everything ... but I'm not so good at actually doing all the stuff - just getting ready for it.

Now where's my whiteboard and markers? Gotta jot something down ...

ROFLMAO [ROFL]

Your house sounds a lot like mine... [Wink]

Posts: 5771 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaySedai
Member # 6459

as I mentioned in another thread, I actually rented the dumpster. It's out in the yard, waiting to be filled. We've had it 2 weeks and never filled it the whole way - only about half. We get it 2 weeks more, unless we want to pay for another 4 weeks. I should get on the ball, but I'm a slow starter.
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
Supposedly, the FlyLady website was supposed to change in May.

If you still want to get emails, just open a Yahoo account for Flylady only. That is what I have for my music discussion list.

I have not progressed too far past Shiny Sink, but my husband has benn on a cleaning and decluttering rampage, so I am taking credit for half of his energy and hard work. We share so much, why not that?

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlueJacsFan
Member # 6590

- posted      Profile for BlueJacsFan   Email BlueJacsFan         Edit/Delete Post 
The company I work for has a cool longevity perk. They send someone out to clean my house once a month (actually they hire a cleaning company to do the work). So, at least once a month, the house gets straightened up enough that I'm not embarrassed for them to come in.

I have resigned myself to the fact that my office is never going to be presentable. That one room hasn't been orderly since I moved into this house 2 1/2 years ago.

Maybe some day....

Posts: 159 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Space Opera
Member # 6504

- posted      Profile for Space Opera   Email Space Opera         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm. I'm not so sure about that "dress to your shoes" idea. I mean, I've always figured that by wearing my pajamas all day that I'm doing myself a favor by creating less laundry that I'll have to do later. I mean, someone has to sacrifice. [Wink]

space opera

Posts: 2578 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Am I the only one who read this thread title and thought about booger flicking?
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

So that's what this guy is doing. [No No]
fallow
Member # 6268

- posted      Profile for fallow   Email fallow         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a little lost. What does it mean to "fling boogie"?

fallow

Posts: 3061 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

*flings fallow*

*boogies*

pooka
Member # 5003

IIRC, it's to get rid of 27 items that are not worth keeping. Ooh, I see they are having a super fling boogie challenge.
quote:
If you had to pack up everything that you owned and move it across the country, would you take every single thing in your home or would you de-clutter things first? You certainly wouldn't want to pay to move things that you don't love or use!!
I had a friend who moved from Utah to Boston and by using rail freight instead of a van mover, they only had to pay 40 cents a pound for everything they wanted to move. They were also going from a 1500 square foot home to a 650 sf apartment (her hub had gotten into grad school). I try to envision this in terms of motivation to get rid of stuff. Of course, I'm once again setting my sights so high, I can't feel bad about failing.

[ June 14, 2004, 11:30 PM: Message edited by: pooka ]

mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm. Would it be possible to flick a boogie 27 feet?
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fallow
Member # 6268

- posted      Profile for fallow   Email fallow         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
*flings fallow*
Contrary to common folklore, a fallow cannot actually be flung. The origins of this myth have yet to be traced to their precise roots. Suffice it to say that these misconceptions are likely due to certain spelling errors in translating historical texts that appear to recount tales of fallows' having been "strung" or "stung" often in conjunction with references to "along" or "bee's knees".

fallow

PS. It should be noted that no historical text of verifiable authenticity has ever comingled the name "fallow" with the adjective "bootylicious", exclamations of the form "bOOtAY!" or their forerunners "boogie", "oogie" and all superlative variants thereof.

Posts: 3061 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
mack, I also thought of booger flicking. In fact, that's why I opened the thread, to find some support. Maybe that's too much information.
Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
I think the fact that you actually filled the dumpster halfway would be a major victory Cay. That is more than you'd normally throw out and leave for the trash guy right?

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh yes and Steve and I have determined, since we are the only people that live there other than the canines, that when we say "living room" what we really mean is "walk in closet" This way we have justified never putting our folded clothes away! I do fold them...

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ela
Member # 1365

quote:
when we say "living room" what we really mean is "walk in closet"
Glad to hear we are not the only ones! [ROFL]

I have to admit, I don't love it, but it is an uphill battle against other family members, and sometimes those battles just aren't worth fighting.

Fortunately, we have a very big living room, so we still have plenty of floor space. [Big Grin]

Posts: 5771 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tammy
Member # 4119

- posted      Profile for Tammy   Email Tammy         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The company I work for has a cool longevity perk. They send someone out to clean my house once a month (actually they hire a cleaning company to do the work).
*jealous*
Posts: 3771 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ela
Member # 1365

Wow, that is a cool longevity perk.
mothertree
Member # 4999

- posted      Profile for mothertree   Email mothertree         Edit/Delete Post 
This is truly sad. I got on hatrack this morning about 9 (my time) to bump this thread. It is now 11:30 at night. I took a couple of breaks to watch episode IV- but that was the direct result of a thread here. I cooked a couple of meals and took my 2 year old with me to the grocery store. I unloaded the dishwasher and cleaned out one corner of the kitchen. But only the realization that it is really time for me to go to bed caused me to remember... oh yeah, I was going to bump the fling boogie encouragement thread.
Posts: 2010 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaySedai
Member # 6459

I read the posts - laughed at one and then realized, "hey, I said that!" (organizational junkie)

And I am a procrastinating perfectionist - I keep putting things off until I can "do them right" which means never doing them, usually. Like this:

quote:
I was so confused when I found out I had OCD, because I thought that meant I should be keeping stuff really clean. But it turns out I have the "don't start it unless you can finish it" variety. Also "the best way to clean is to pull everything out first" variant that results in a bigger mess than when you started. I also suffer from "I'll put stuff in this box and promise (cross my heart) that I will put it away later".

romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post 
You need to set up a reward sysytem. Get rid of a box worth of stuff, and get a piece of chocolate.
Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah! Chocolate!!!!!

Um, I have a cleaning lady. She cleaned our new house on Tuesday through Friday. Either the place is that big, or it was that messy . . . She went so far as to take down all curtains for laundering. Oh yeah, and she hasn't gotten to the living room or dining room yet - that'll be Tuesday.

Me, I'm a clutter freak. I'm great at organizing. . . Other people. Not so much for myself. [Roll Eyes] I attract clutter and then it replicates exponentially. [Frown]

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
Organizational junkie here!

Anyone ever go here? www.thecontainerstore.com

All winter I have been addicted to Clean House, Clean Sweeo, and Mission Organization. My husband would like to know the ratio between time spent watching to time spent organizing.

Well, we are being forced to do a Keep-Sell-Toss, as we are getting new carpets Thursday, and have to move stuff out of three rooms. We have a six room houe, one of which is the laundry room already stuffed to the gills!

It will feel so good on, maybe, Sunday.

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Good luck, Elizabeth!

*ignores cluttered room behind her, and the likelihood of moving in a couple months*

*whistles*

Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I too wondered if this would be about some distressed parent teaching some child why it is not polite to pick offending matter out of said nostril and fling in whatever direction hits said child's fancy . . . how disappointing! *pouts*

The organizational woes are hilarious, though!

I think I will relax about my home not being white-glove clean, as taught by insistent mother and stepmother, who actually inspected chores and sent children back to do them right - all day long if that is what it took.

*Laughs remembering brother spending day in bathroom, finally with just an old toothbrush, comet, bucket, and one cleaning rag.*

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.