FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Grad Nite at Disney World

Author Topic: Grad Nite at Disney World
lcarus
Member # 4395

- posted      Profile for lcarus           Edit/Delete Post 
I don't want to get fired for trying to pick up teenagers through the internet . . . but if anybody is going to be there this Friday/Saturday, this thirty-something overweight balding married father of two will be chaperoning, if anybody wants to say hi, or maybe take in a rollercoaster.

[Smile]

Posts: 1112 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leonide
Member # 4157

- posted      Profile for Leonide   Email Leonide         Edit/Delete Post 
*sighs heavily*

But Strider and I are totally saving up for a Disney trip next summer!

Posts: 3516 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anna
Member # 2582

- posted      Profile for Anna           Edit/Delete Post 
If only this was Eurodisney. *sigh*
Posts: 3526 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zgator
Member # 3833

- posted      Profile for zgator   Email zgator         Edit/Delete Post 
There are no roller coasters at Disney. [Razz]
Posts: 4625 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Isn't space mountain supposed to be LIKE a roller coaster? (I've never been there)

FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
UofUlawguy
Member # 5492

- posted      Profile for UofUlawguy   Email UofUlawguy         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm taking my kids (4 and 2) to Disneyland for the first time at the end of this month. I'm totally psyched.
Posts: 1652 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lcarus
Member # 4395

Space Mountain is a wild mouse, which virtually everyone considers to be a type of roller coaster. Big Thunder Mountain Railroad, Aerosmith's Rockin' Roller Coaster and ( [Embarrassed] ) Goofy's Barnstormers are all roller coasters in every traditional way. Zan is just being an evil Universal Studios snot. [Razz]

Disney is not intended to be a thrill park (or, in the traditional sense, an amusement park). I respect what Universal is good at, but I love Disney.

Posts: 1112 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lcarus
Member # 4395

And Disney's California Adventure has California Screamin'. [Smile]

And both Animal Kingdom and Disney's California Adventure have "Virginia reels," which are a kind of roller-coaster wild-mouse type thing. The one in Florida is called Primeval Whirl, and the one in California is called Mulholland Madness. [Smile]

[ April 20, 2004, 12:00 PM: Message edited by: lcarus ]

rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
UofU, how long will y'all be in SoCal? Just for the day?

*hopeful* Maybe you'll have time to meet up with some SoCallers?

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Icarus: Could you please delete this thread before JenniK sees it?

Otherwise I'll have to use a wet/dry vac to deal with her uncontrolable drooling, not to mention the river of tears when I say "No, we aren't flying in to do this."..... [Evil]

Kwea

[ April 20, 2004, 12:06 PM: Message edited by: Kwea ]

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
UofUlawguy
Member # 5492

- posted      Profile for UofUlawguy   Email UofUlawguy         Edit/Delete Post 
Rivka, we'll be in town for a couple of days, but our time is completely booked already. Sorry. Personally, I think that would be cool.
Posts: 1652 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Aw. Next time! [Smile]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lcarus
Member # 4395

Well, you could point out that only people connected with a high school field trip can attend Grad Nite . . .

::hands Kwea a vacuum::

[Big Grin]

[ April 20, 2004, 12:17 PM: Message edited by: lcarus ]

littlemissattitude
Member # 4514

- posted      Profile for littlemissattitude   Email littlemissattitude         Edit/Delete Post 
Didn't get to go to my Grad Night at Disneyland. But I was at the school, next morning, playing tennis, when the bus got back. Everyone looked miserable, so I'm pretty much glad I didn't go.

Anyway, I only lived sixteen miles from Disneyland at the time, so I went there fairly often anyway.

Posts: 2454 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lcarus
Member # 4395

Oh, I went to my grad night way back when. And we may have looked like heck when we straggled back home at 10am, I had a wonderful time while I was there! [Big Grin]

Then again . . . maybe that's not what you wanted to hear. ::slaps hand to mouth:: Never mind. It was awful. You really were much better off. And I'm just going again now as a grown-up out of a sense of, um, duty! Yeah! That's the ticket!

[Razz]

Leonide
Member # 4157

- posted      Profile for Leonide   Email Leonide         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The one in Florida is called Primeval Whirl
say WHAT?

is this new?

i'm so out of the Disney Loop. [Frown]

Then again, i don't like all the changes they've made in the last five years...

*huddles in corner listening to the old Imagination ride, "Tomorrow's Child" and the old Illuminations soundtrack on repeat*

Posts: 3516 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

- posted      Profile for MyrddinFyre           Edit/Delete Post 
I miss Figment! [Frown]

And this so called grad night is three months too soon! ^^

Posts: 3636 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lcarus
Member # 4395

http://adisneyyouthprograms.disney.go.com/media/dyp/media/video/vid_dgn.mov

[Big Grin]

lcarus
Member # 4395

Um, figment is still there.
MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

- posted      Profile for MyrddinFyre           Edit/Delete Post 
Good thing too, or I'd have to hurt them!

I used to have a Figment doll but it was so well loved his head fell off and my mom got rid of him. Guess I forgot half the story.

Posts: 3636 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
newfoundlogic
Member # 3907

- posted      Profile for newfoundlogic   Email newfoundlogic         Edit/Delete Post 
Space Mountain, Thunder Mountain, and the barn storming thing, are all real roller coasters, but the only good roller coaster in Disney is Aerosmith ride, but thats in MGM not Magic Kingdom. And Animanl Kingdom is soooo bad.
Posts: 3446 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lcarus
Member # 4395

nfl, do you have kids?

I used to like Animal Kingdom less, before I had kids.

lcarus
Member # 4395

And the roller coaster thing is an excellent example of the difference between Disney and amusement parks. the Aerosmith ride is awesome, sure. But I absolutely love Space Mountain. It's probably still my favorite. It's not as fast or as violent, but Disney never was primarily about fast or violent thrills. Disney was always about being a treat for the imagination and Space Mountain is a rich treat indeed. When I was a kid waiting to ride it, and riding it as well, I was Buck Rogers or maybe Starbuck, in a crisis, getting ready to go out in my viper and take care of business.

And you know what? I still am. [Smile]

(Which is why I'm so glad they took out those stupid TVs in the queue area! They were messing with my backstory!)

littlemissattitude
Member # 4514

- posted      Profile for littlemissattitude   Email littlemissattitude         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Oh, I went to my grad night way back when. And we may have looked like heck when we straggled back home at 10am, I had a wonderful time while I was there!

Then again . . . maybe that's not what you wanted to hear. ::slaps hand to mouth:: Never mind. It was awful. You really were much better off. And I'm just going again now as a grown-up out of a sense of, um, duty! Yeah! That's the ticket!

Now, Icarus. Behave. They did look like they were miserable when they got off the bus. Lack of sleep can do that. But they probably did have a lot of fun. And I do think that going as a chaperone would be a lot of fun.

However, when I was graduating, my school put a lot of restrictions on the trip that worked to pretty much leave me out. Only couples could go -male/female, date-style couples. And only 50 couples could go (this left out a bit over two-thirds of our graduating class of something over 300). And only seniors could go.

I didn't want to go as part of a couple, and I especially didn't want to go with any of the senior guys. So, I didn't go.

I was going to say that I didn't go to prom, either, but I don't think they even had prom at that school. It was a pretty weird school - glad I only went there one year. We didn't have a football field, either, which is a whole other story (but explains why I can see the field where we had graduation any time I want just by watching "Grease II", which was filmed at the school across town and where we held our graduation ceremonies).

Never mind. It's late. I'm rambling now. Carry on. [Smile]

Posts: 2454 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lcarus
Member # 4395

quote:
However, when I was graduating, my school put a lot of restrictions on the trip that worked to pretty much leave me out. Only couples could go -male/female, date-style couples. And only 50 couples could go (this left out a bit over two-thirds of our graduating class of something over 300).
That's messed up. And stupid. I can see why you would be bitter. Since I went to a very Catholic all boys school, the couples thing never would have flown! [Big Grin]

quote:
And only seniors could go.

Well, that's the way it's designed to be. As far as I've known, only seniors have ever been invited.
littlemissattitude
Member # 4514

At the high school I attended before my senior year, lowerclassmen (classpersons? Oh, never mind) were allowed to attend if they were the invited guest of a senior. Say a senior was dating a junior - said junior could go on the trip. Random lowerclassmen, of course, were not allowed to go.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.