FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Books for my Honeymoon (Page 0)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Books for my Honeymoon
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
"I love Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman too but never tried to read it in English."

I have to admit that I can't imagine either author translated into French. So much of their charm comes from the very particular flow of English dialogue.

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Have you read Martin's (as yet incomplete) A Song of Ice and Fire series? If not, I imagine that you'd enjoy it. The first book is A Game of Thrones, and came out years ago; I imagine that there is a French translation available if you don't feel like tackling the English original.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

- posted      Profile for KarlEd   Email KarlEd         Edit/Delete Post 
The Kama Sutra?

---sorry, somebody had to say it. [Blushing]

Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frisco
Member # 3765

- posted      Profile for Frisco           Edit/Delete Post 
Glad to see I wasn't the only one dumbfounded by the idea of reading on a honeymoon. [Big Grin]
Posts: 5264 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
UofUlawguy
Member # 5492

- posted      Profile for UofUlawguy   Email UofUlawguy         Edit/Delete Post 
I was gonna say . . .
Posts: 1652 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

- posted      Profile for MyrddinFyre           Edit/Delete Post 
[ROFL]
Posts: 3636 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivetta
Member # 6456

- posted      Profile for Olivetta   Email Olivetta         Edit/Delete Post 
I think my husband would have been horrified if I had brought a book on our honeymoon. [Big Grin]
Posts: 1664 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Anna! At some point after your wedding I'm going to start asking for pointers... Mine isn't till January though, so plenty of time [Smile]

In terms of books... I love Octavia Butler's trilogy Dawn, Adulthood Rites and Imago. From what I can glean from google, I think they *might* be translated into french...

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
My suggestion. [Cool]

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anna
Member # 2582

- posted      Profile for Anna           Edit/Delete Post 
KarlEd [Taunt]
We can't do that ALL DAY, you know.
Hobbes : I have the entire collection in English, and I so love them !

Posts: 3526 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, if the French can't do it all day...
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anna
Member # 2582

[Taunt] too.
We're made from the same flesh, you know.

Posts: 3526 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Mind over matter.
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anna
Member # 2582

I never uderstood this story of being hotter than you are. Sounds like prejudices for me. Hey, good exemple of "positive prejudice" which still annoys you ! Where is that thread ?

[ April 21, 2004, 11:48 AM: Message edited by: Anna ]

Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
All Y'all is werid! Except when you own all the Calvin and Hobbes books. Then you're cool.

See? [Cool]

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anna
Member # 2582

[Wink]
peterh
Member # 5208

- posted      Profile for peterh   Email peterh         Edit/Delete Post 
The Act of Marriage
Posts: 995 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anna
Member # 2582

To state things, we practisize since three years. We're good at it, we love it.
Still, there's a lot of OTHERS things in a wedding, and in life [Smile]
So, back to the books thing ? I meant novels, or short stories.

[ April 21, 2004, 11:57 AM: Message edited by: Anna ]

mackillian
Member # 586

My book, obviously. [Smile]
Olivetta
Member # 6456

Well, hm. There's the sleeping and the eating. And the hot tubbing, shopping for gifts for family, playing 'strip billiards' (I won! [Wink] ).

Then there was the time it takes to get ready to go eat, shop or whatever. But nearly all of those activities involved sex in some way or other... I didn't mind not having something to read, though. [Confused]

Does that mean I did it wrong? [Wink]

Posts: 1664 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
<--never had a honeymoon

[Frown]

Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

*refuses to think about it*
Anna
Member # 2582

Means I'm a bookaholic [Smile]
We are not going in or near a town, so we won't shop. There's a pool in the hōtel, and the sea is near. I just love reading near the sea. I'm not sure I'll read a lot, it's just that if I want to have something to read just in case (anyway during the journey I'll need it) I have to buy books before. I'm such a bookaholic I'm unable to sleep before reading a few pages [Blushing]

mackillian
Member # 586

Monster Rules
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
My wife and I read The Princess Bride on our honeymoon. [Cool]
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anna
Member # 2582

Good idea.
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
I never miss an opportunity to recommend Lois McMasters Bujold’s books. And I’m pretty sure she’s been translated into French.

If you’re sure you want to bring books. *grin*

Bob and I have agreed that we are not bringing the laptop on the honeymoon. But I’m waffling. Because the more we plan, when I look at all the cool places we’re going to visit, I really want to keep a journal. And I know (from much experience) that I am incapable of keeping a handwritten journal. The only way journaling happens is if I can type. But if we bring the computer, we know we’ll be tempted to go online. And check Hatrack. ‘Cause, let’s face it, this will be the longest either of us has been away in the last two (by that point three) years. (Since I registered. Probably longer for Bob.) And, while we did return from our first date and immediately log on to post the engagement thread, the idea of Hatracking on our honeymoon just seems wrong. Plus a laptop would be a pain to lug around.

Hmm. Maybe I can get a full-sized keyboard for my PDA. That would give me journal-ability with no internet temptation and it’s small and light. Hmm.

Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

That sounds like the perfect solution. [Smile]
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
Take the computer... remove the network card and/or modem. Problem solved... no Hatrack.

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
BTW, dkw, if you hadn't noticed yet the short story collection containing Miles's wedding is out now [Smile] .
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
It was in my grubby little hands the day it was released. [Smile]
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

- posted      Profile for Altįriėl of Dorthonion   Email Altįriėl of Dorthonion         Edit/Delete Post 
Forget reading. Its your honey moon right?!
Go do something!! Explore the area!! Go touring!! Life is to short to be reading books on your honey moon. its vital to have memorable moments!!!!!!
Spend some time together and make a story of yourselves that is worthy of a book. A romantic Story. Then you can sell it, get rich and buy all the books you want ^.~.
If you still want to take books, take sexual guides and such...so that it really feels like a honey moon. [Blushing] But like karlEd said, don't forget kamasutra. ^.~;;;

[ April 21, 2004, 02:22 PM: Message edited by: Altįriėl of Dorthonion ]

Posts: 3389 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
UofUlawguy
Member # 5492

- posted      Profile for UofUlawguy   Email UofUlawguy         Edit/Delete Post 
Olivetta, you know strip billiards?!

I used to work with a (really geeky) forty-something attorney, who got drunk at the firm Christmas party and told me about how he and his wife like to play strip billiards. That was an image I really didn't want in my head, let me tell you.

Posts: 1652 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
So you decided to share it with us. How kind. [Razz]
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
UofUlawguy
Member # 5492

Hey, I wasn't the one that brought up strip billiards.

Although I imagine it wouldn't be nearly as distasteful to picture Olivetta playing as it was that attorney I know.

Jenny Gardener
Member # 903

- posted      Profile for Jenny Gardener   Email Jenny Gardener         Edit/Delete Post 
Read something good that has some "naughty bits" in it. One of my favorite "honeymoon" type activities is to see if my hubby can distract me from whatever book I'm reading.

(Yes, I read naked in bed [Blushing] )

Livvy! I have seen both you and Ron! Now whenever I see you together, I'm gonna think "strip billiards" and not know where to look. Probably directly into your eyes, so I can bust out laughing and you'll know what I'm thinking.

My hubby is not a book person, so I can't imagine taking books on vacation with him. Our honeymoon was spent tromping around in the woods and digging our own latrines, though, so don't ask me for advice on "romantic" honeymoons.

Posts: 3141 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivetta
Member # 6456

Now, now. I suppose I should confess that we never actualy played strip billiards until after we had our own pool table.

But our honeymoon was in the Estes Park Colorado in NOvember (which is the off season-- it's a summer town) and the resort (which was empty except for us) had a billiards room. We joked about playing strip billiards, but we really just kept score and paid up later. I won. [Smile]

Oh, and Andrea... This was almost 12 years ago-- we were both skinny and beautiful at the time, if that helps the visual at all. [Wink] [Razz]

Anna
Member # 2582

quote:
Yes, I read naked in bed [Blushing]
So do I, I confess.
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, be nice people...I not only read, but I posted on Hatrack during my honeymoon! I got JenniK hooked on hatcrack then, too.
We posted honeymoon threads on Hatrack from an internet kiosk while waiting for our food to arrive.

As far as the books go, JenniK and I both read a lot, and there was a bookstore in Frederick, MD that I use to go to when I was stationed there that was the best used book store I've ever been in, bar none. We were driving through Frederick on the was to DC, and I pulled in to it's parking lot. JenniK rolled her eyes at me, as we had already been to a book store at the outlet stores in Hershey, PA, and she laughed at me. But I had to pull HER out of the store two hours later, holding 5-6 books (on top of the 4-6 books she had bought at the other store)in her hands.

We didn't spend ALL of our time reading, of course ( [Wink] ), but we had plenty of books to read when we got home.

BTW, the place was called (I think) Wonder Books, and it has the best collection of sci fi/fantasy books for sale than I have ever seen, including first editions of many of OSC's books, namely the Ender series. Very cool, if you live in the area, you should check it out.

Anna, you should read Guy Gavriel Kay's books, in particular Tigana. I know that it has been translated into French, as well as a bunch of other languages, and I love it. All his books have been translated into French, and they are great in English. Kay is a Canadian-born writer who lives in Toronto, and I love his books.

Good Luck, and Congratulations!

Kwea

[ April 22, 2004, 08:21 AM: Message edited by: Kwea ]

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anna
Member # 2582

Thank you !
John L
Member # 6005

- posted      Profile for John L           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
We can't do that ALL DAY, you know.
Practice makes perfect.

Jamie's book sounds like a good idea, though.

Posts: 779 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
Just curious, Anna - if you like Harry Potter - what do you think of the book by the 13-year-old girl, La Prophetie des pierres? Have you read it?
Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ela
Member # 1365

- posted      Profile for Ela           Edit/Delete Post 
I have to admit, I did not read on my honeymoon. And I am a bookaholic with the best of them. [Wink] I pissed off my husband by reading the whole Enders Game series on a car and train trip we took a number of years back. (Poor guy had no one to talk to him while he was driving, as I had my head in the books every time we got in the car to go from one point to another. [Razz] )
Posts: 5771 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

Hi Ela!

I'm lucky that JenniK is one of those people who can't read in a moving car.....otherwise I would be stuck driving "alone" too; she reads almost as much as I do!

I told her when we were just working together (and Just Friends) that I read a lot, and she just laughed and said she probably read more than I do. I tried to tell her, without being insulting, that I doubted it, but she didn't believe me. At least , not until the day, 1 year later, when I got my books out of storage...and she realized that the reason we got a two bedroom apartment was that I needed an entire room of my library...and that it continues to expand on an almost daily basis.

[Evil]

She can't say I didn't tell her so....
And she has about 300 books of her own, too! Counting those, we have well over a thousand books in this room right now!

Just think how many we would have if three boxes (70-90 per box) hadn't been lost by the US Army! They can send a man to the moon, and troops half a world away, but they have no idea where my books went... [Dont Know]

Kwea

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anna
Member # 2582

quote:
Just curious, Anna - if you like Harry Potter - what do you think of the book by the 13-year-old girl, La Prophetie des pierres? Have you read it?
I don't know this book... What is it, what's the author's name ?
Anna
Member # 2582

Nevermind, I just found it on amazon. Sounds like a good book : I will probably try to buy it. Did you read it ? If so, what did you think about it ?
Kwea
Member # 2199

Anna, when is your wedding? It sounds like you will have a great time in the south of France; I hear it is beautiful.

JenniK, my wife, is jealous....we couldn't afford Europe for our honeymoon.....I guess you don't have that problem... [Smile]

Kwea

Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
When Cindy and I got married, we took a road trip on our Honeymoon to visit her mother in Atlanta, and spend a week at Disney World. (Cindy won the Disney World vacation at a McDonalds.)

We were both caught up in the Eddings "Mallorean" series. We took turns, one of us would drive for a couple of hours while the other one read, and then we switched.

It was fun.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anna
Member # 2582

We're getting married the 8th of May. Comes closer... Of course we don't have a problem to afford Europe [Smile] but since people always want to change, we wanted to go to Australia, New Zealand, Canada, USA... And we will see that later, not enough money either !
Kwea
Member # 2199

Well, congratulations. I figured you were in Europe by reading some of your posts on other threads. The fact that you wanted books that may have been translated into French didn't hurt, either!

I don't know if these have been translated yet, but JenniK and I have been reading some books by Laurel K. Hamilton lately, and they are very good. They are a cross of a couple genres, which isn't usually a good thing, but she pulls it off really well IMO. They are fantasy/mystery/horror/romance (whew) books, and I have all of them.
The Anita Blake Novels
  • Guilty Pleasures
  • The Laughing Corpse
  • Circus of the Damned
  • Bloody Bones
  • The Killing Dance
There are others, including another series set in the same world, but on the West Coast of America, beginning with A Kiss of Shadows. They are definitely ADULT tales, if you know what I mean ( [Blushing] [Wink] ), and should be perfect for a honeymoon.
Good luck, and God Bless you both (in whatever fashion appropriate),
Kwea

[ April 28, 2004, 01:11 AM: Message edited by: Kwea ]

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.