FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Neverwhere was a movie first?

Author Topic: Neverwhere was a movie first?
Fyfe
Member # 937

- posted      Profile for Fyfe   Email Fyfe         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, I never knew that...evidently Neil Gaiman wrote Neverwhere as a script for a miniseries for the BBC first, and then he wrote the book during production. Hm.

So I want to see this miniseries. Has anyone seen it? Is it good?

Jen

Posts: 910 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Like Doctor Who, it's crippled by its severe lack of FX budget.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
I've always thought that the cheesy low-budget special effects were part of Dr. Who's charm, actually.

I've heard that it was crippling in the Neverwhere miniseries though.

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Book
Member # 5500

- posted      Profile for Book           Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah. Also... it just seemed to me that it just wasn't done well.

Not as good as the one in my head, at any rate.

EDIT: they do plan to release it as a movie soon, but it's owned by Jim Henson or something, along with parts of it being owned by someone else, and it's very complex. However, I have mysteriously heard that progress is being made.

Also, Gaiman's Death: the High Cost of Living in which the spirited Death spends a day in New York, is also coming out in movie form. Neil can't give any specifics, all he can do is say "Things are happening, and they're good," and that's what he's done.

I can't wait.

[ April 21, 2004, 11:22 AM: Message edited by: Book ]

Posts: 2258 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

- posted      Profile for MyrddinFyre           Edit/Delete Post 
Ohhh, nice!
Posts: 3636 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jenny Gardener
Member # 903

- posted      Profile for Jenny Gardener   Email Jenny Gardener         Edit/Delete Post 
Ohhhhhh! I love Death!
Posts: 3141 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Slash the Berzerker
Member # 556

- posted      Profile for Slash the Berzerker   Email Slash the Berzerker         Edit/Delete Post 
The FX were particularly bad.

However, the actors that played the two badguys were spot on perfect for the roles. Door wasn't as bad as she could have been, and the main guy was actually fairly good.

Overall, I enjoyed it for what it was.

Posts: 5383 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fyfe
Member # 937

- posted      Profile for Fyfe   Email Fyfe         Edit/Delete Post 
But should I buy it? Ah, a crucial point...I really love that book, it's one of my favorites, and if the miniseries has any merit, I might buy it...

?

Jen

Posts: 910 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Toretha
Member # 2233

- posted      Profile for Toretha   Email Toretha         Edit/Delete Post 
Jen, If you buy it, can i come over or you come over and watch it together with butterless popcorn? (or popcorn with margarine?) We could bond!
Posts: 3493 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.