FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Currently Listening... (Page 2)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: Currently Listening...
Stan the man
Member # 6249

- posted      Profile for Stan the man   Email Stan the man         Edit/Delete Post 
Alice in Chains - We Die Young.
Posts: 2208 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Book
Member # 5500

- posted      Profile for Book           Edit/Delete Post 
Currently? This website.
Posts: 2258 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stan the man
Member # 6249

- posted      Profile for Stan the man   Email Stan the man         Edit/Delete Post 
[Evil]
Book, you might want to put a warning label on that link.

Posts: 2208 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Book
Member # 5500

Think that cat might actually hypnotize someone?

Cats are evil like that.

Posts: 2258 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stan the man
Member # 6249

Agreed. I don't care for cats too much. Lazy animals, they are. The other stuff on the site was funny too.

Edited to add: It was the stuff after that if you continued on into the site that I was referring to.

[ April 22, 2004, 01:22 AM: Message edited by: Stan the man ]

Book
Member # 5500

Oh. Yeah.

Don't click anything on that website.

Not even the cat, ESPECIALLY if he asks you to. Sneaky little creep.

Nick
Member # 4311

- posted      Profile for Nick           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm currently listening to one of Jack Johnson's CDs. Brushfire Fairytales I think it's called.
Posts: 4229 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tt&t
Member # 5600

- posted      Profile for tt&t   Email tt&t         Edit/Delete Post 
Third Eye Blind, the Background. [Smile]
Posts: 1431 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ReikoDemosthenes
Member # 6218

- posted      Profile for ReikoDemosthenes   Email ReikoDemosthenes         Edit/Delete Post 
Transatlanicism by Death Cab for Cutie
Posts: 1158 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Speed
Member # 5162

- posted      Profile for Speed   Email Speed         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I have never been able to get myself to like movie soundtracks, especially if the contain original music for the movie. It's too much like "getting into" the movie, and I just don't do that.
In centuries past, some of the greatest music written has been associated with ballet, opera, Catholic masses and the like. In the twentieth century our form of dramatic entertainment has changed. Movies have replaced plays and operas. But they all need music. Modern day soundtracks carry on the tradition of the dramatic music of previous centuries, and future generations will likely remember Superfly as a modern La Boheme, and Lord of the Rings as a twenty-first century Nutcracker.

You don't have to think of it as getting into the film, either. Some of the best soundtracks come from mediocre or bad movies. Some of my favorites come from movies I haven't even seen. But who cares? Can you explain the plot of The Marriage of Figaro or The Magic Flute? Even if you can't, you'd probably recognize and enjoy the musical themes. Likewise, even if you think James Bond is trash cinema, it's hard to deny the power of John Barry's soundtracks to Goldfinger or On Her Majesty's Secret Service.

Just something to think about for you nay-sayers.

Posts: 2804 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JohnKeats
Member # 1261

- posted      Profile for JohnKeats           Edit/Delete Post 
Skillery:

Wow, you like Porcupine Tree AND Dream Theater??

Will wonders never cease?

If you have a chance to catch DT while they're still on the Train of Thought tour I highly recommend it. Saw them a month ago in KC, and, with the exception of Scenes From New York it was the best live concert I've seen them give (though Live at the Marquee is up there, too).

Porcupine Tree is pretty new to me but the buzz about it in progressive music circles was enough to get me started, and I'm pretty hooked too. Their albums are surprisingly hard to find...

Posts: 4350 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
"future generations will likely remember Superfly as a modern La Boheme, and Lord of the Rings as a twenty-first century Nutcracker"

No. Future generations, by my estimate, will remember only their favorite stanza of any give song, and will be able to download songs by the stanza to "mix" on little handheld devices that produce new "mash" jams out of the fragments of earlier works.

[Smile]

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

- posted      Profile for Altįriėl of Dorthonion   Email Altįriėl of Dorthonion         Edit/Delete Post 
Now I'm listening to
Underworld's - Kiteless

Posts: 3389 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skillery
Member # 6209

- posted      Profile for skillery   Email skillery         Edit/Delete Post 
On now: The Drapery Falls - Opeth
(awesome death-metal)

Up next: The Spirit Carries On - Dream Theater

Keats: Train of Thought crossed the line for me. I could only listen to it once.

Posts: 2655 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

- posted      Profile for Altįriėl of Dorthonion   Email Altįriėl of Dorthonion         Edit/Delete Post 
Next in line:
UnderWorld's - Rez/Cowgirl

Posts: 3389 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
peterh
Member # 5208

- posted      Profile for peterh   Email peterh         Edit/Delete Post 
I have "No Need to Argue", "Everybody else is doing it, so why can't we?", and "To the faithfully departed" by the Cranberries shuffling through my iTunes right now.
Posts: 995 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

Wish I had an I pod.
JohnKeats
Member # 1261

Skillery:

It took me longer to fully appreciate ToT than any other DT album. How did it cross the line for you?

Posts: 4350 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
solo
Member # 3148

- posted      Profile for solo   Email solo         Edit/Delete Post 
Me First And The Gimme Gimmes - Take A Break album.

Just listened to these albums:

The Living End - Roll On
Green Day - International Superhits
Great Big Sea - Something Beautiful

Coming up next are:
Pantera - Far Beyond The Great Southern Cowboys' Vulgar Hits
Blink 182 - Self Titled
Aphex Twin - 26 Mixes For Cash

Posts: 1336 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

yay for pantera.

I can't believe I was listening to "The Hustle" this morning, its the only song in my mom's cd's that I like.
Thats just because of the catchy tune and the fact that it comes up on an Old Navy commercial.

Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
I am listening to Railroad Earth's sampler cd.
Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

Just now, I was listening a MIDI version of
Sailor moon- La Soldier
now I switched to an Mp3 kareoke version of
Saber Marionette J - Successful mission

Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
Mmmmm.. "Faith and the Muse"

*switches disk*

Mmmmm.. "Switchblade Symphony"

*switches disk again*

Mmmmm... "Rasputania"

Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Railroad Earth still.
Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post 
Listening to clips from Uffington Horse
Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Mix CD of Hawaiian music.

This is great, great stuff. How I miss yooooooou... My Hawaiiiiiiiiii.

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skillery
Member # 6209

- posted      Profile for skillery   Email skillery         Edit/Delete Post 
Keats:

quote:
How did it cross the line for you?
I don't remember exactly. Maybe that means I'm ready for another listen. It's so harsh that I can't listen to it in the house; I have to take it out to the camper. Seems like there was an anti-organized religion thing going on. I'll have to check the lyrics again. Didn't they drop the F-bomb in this one?
Posts: 2655 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JohnKeats
Member # 1261

As for organized religion, you must be referring to "In The Name of God", the last track on the album. It is specifically about violence done in the name of God. Not really railing against organized religion on the whole, unless you get offended by the counter-melody-background-chorus of His Truth is Marching On.

The "F Bomb" is on the album, though I can't say for sure that this would be the first time it's been in DT lyrics. However I feel it is contextually appropriate when used, which is not something you can say for most "f bombs", since they usually don't get used in cocept albums. [Smile]

celia60
Member # 2039

- posted      Profile for celia60   Email celia60         Edit/Delete Post 
The Smiths - I Started Something I Couldn't Finish
Posts: 3956 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
celia60
Member # 2039

Walter Murphy - A Fifth of Beethoven. I have no idea what this is or where it came from. Apparently it's on the drive somewhere.

Isn't random great?

Posts: 3956 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Railroad Earth again. It is a sampler cd, and it is great.

Kat, do you have Hapa??????? It is so awesome!

Frisco
Member # 3765

- posted      Profile for Frisco           Edit/Delete Post 
"Who's Johnny", by El Debarge, somehow made its way onto my playlist. And I'm loving it. Reminds me of Short Circuit every time.

Up next is Pink Floyd's "Fearless".

Posts: 5264 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

[Smile] I have a song by Hapa on this CD. Kaipuki Aloha
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

The whole album is beautiful. I think it is just called Hapa. Stephen Stills plays on it, too. I played it when my son was born, so it has special meaning.
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
Camille Saint-Saens: Danse Macabre.

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
celia60
Member # 2039

Cake - Nugget
katharina
Member # 827

I think Stephen Stills plays on the track that I have.

I want more music like this. It's a good CD? The CD I have is the wedding mix from my cousin's wedding, and I've almost worn it out. It's simply lovely.

Elizabeth
Member # 5218

YES! It is one you can play a million times.
(By the way, I saw Crow this weekend in North Carolina. He was HOT)(sorry to use thread for minicommunication with Kat)

Here is the one I mean. it is not listed on their website for some reason?

http://www.hawaiianmusicstore.com/cds/cd15.html

[ April 22, 2004, 05:29 PM: Message edited by: Elizabeth ]

Derrell
Member # 6062

- posted      Profile for Derrell   Email Derrell         Edit/Delete Post 
Layla by Eric Clapton.

Next up is John the Revelator by Son House.

Yes, I love the Blues.

Posts: 4569 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Snake Oil Medicine Show
Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

- posted      Profile for Bob the Lawyer   Email Bob the Lawyer         Edit/Delete Post 
I just tossed in Video Bargainville by Moxy Fruvous.
Posts: 3243 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Speed
Member # 5162

- posted      Profile for Speed   Email Speed         Edit/Delete Post 
...Meets His Maker by DJ Shadow. Anybody else into this guy?
Posts: 2804 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
I have Oh Mickey you're so fine in my head because Tony was singing it last night to annoy me.

Imogen [Mad]

(And this time, the signature is appropriate [Smile] )

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

I'm now listening to
Saria's Song (Spooky Groovy Mix)
up next
Hyrule (Princess 'Z' Trigger Mix)
i got the mp3 files from
http://www.zeldapower.com
I'm still waiting for my Zelda Special Edition Disc...

Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

- posted      Profile for Eruve Nandiriel   Email Eruve Nandiriel         Edit/Delete Post 
Bach's Prelude in C
[Smile]

Posts: 4174 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
solo
Member # 3148

- posted      Profile for solo   Email solo         Edit/Delete Post 
Just finished listening to the Hellogoodbye free EP from Drive-Thru Records.

Next up is KoRn & Howard Stern - Y'All Want A Single

Followed by another free EP from Drive-Thru - Jenoah

And then the following songs:

The Misfits - Dig Up Her Bones
NOFX - Go Your Own Way
Paint By Numbers - Decorate Your Pavement
Propagandhi - Letter Of Resignation
Small Brown Bike - Expression Eraser
Sublime - Santeria
System Of A Down - Toxicity
Taking Back Sunday - Cute Without The E
This Bike Is A Pipe Bomb - Next Bus

Posts: 1336 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

Saria's Song Spooky Groovy Mix(?)
From the Legend of Zelda, its at zeldapower.com

Lara
Member # 132

- posted      Profile for Lara   Email Lara         Edit/Delete Post 
My little brother found my CD collection, which I thought got stolen a year ago, and now I'm listening to Sheryl Crow. Because I can, because I have my CDs back. [Big Grin] !!!
Posts: 377 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

Good for you!
Lara
Member # 132

- posted      Profile for Lara   Email Lara         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks. It's a happiness I couldn't contain.
Posts: 377 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.