FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » I met Chunk, who wants to touch me?

Author Topic: I met Chunk, who wants to touch me?
T_Smith
Member # 3734

- posted      Profile for T_Smith   Email T_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, so maybe no one wants to, but hey, I couldn't think of a title. Deal with it.

Chunk from the Goonies was here today, just basically talking, answering questions, that sort of thing. Pretty funny guy. There was a truffle shuffle contest, but he didn't participate. Apparently, he's now working for an Entertainment Law Firm. Yeah, Chunk when to Law School.

Also, I remember a thread about The Goonies II, so I just thought I'd mention what he said about it. He said that they have a script that he likes (Chunk is now a Lawyer, still living with Sloth), that Speilberg likes, but the main problem their having with it, is that Warner Brothers isn't too terribly interested (they just finished The Matrix trilogy, and still have Harry Potter).

And now, a quick confession. I've never seen Goonies. This will be corrected tomorrow.

Also, I got his autograph.

[ April 21, 2004, 02:48 PM: Message edited by: T_Smith ]

Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
celia60
Member # 2039

- posted      Profile for celia60   Email celia60         Edit/Delete Post 
*glances around*

*touches T*

*giggles*

Posts: 3956 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

- posted      Profile for MyrddinFyre           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm glad you're seeing it tomorrow. Or I'd have to hurt you.

Oh yeah, and *touches T*

Posts: 3636 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
UofUlawguy
Member # 5492

- posted      Profile for UofUlawguy   Email UofUlawguy         Edit/Delete Post 
So you're going around, spouting words like Chunk, Sloth and truffle shuffle, and you haven't even seen the movie? Shameful, man.
Posts: 1652 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strong Bad
Member # 6471

- posted      Profile for Strong Bad   Email Strong Bad         Edit/Delete Post 
You've never seen The Goonies?! Dude, you did grow up in the 80s, right?
Posts: 41 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
*has no idea who Chunk or the Goonies are*

FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
You think Corey Feldman can find the time to be in the sequal, what with his music career keeping him busy and all?
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

- posted      Profile for KarlEd   Email KarlEd         Edit/Delete Post 
<-- wonders if I should be worried that I didn't have to open this thread to know who he was talking about. The Goonies was the first thing that came to mind.
Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dangermom
Member # 1676

- posted      Profile for dangermom   Email dangermom         Edit/Delete Post 
I went to school with Chunk! Well, sort of. We were at Cal Berkeley at the same time, and he ran for the Associated Student Council. His whole campaign was 'vote for Chunk.' I never met him or anything.
Posts: 335 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't remember the Chunk. Was that the obligatory fat kid or the fellow they liberated from the cave?
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
peterh
Member # 5208

- posted      Profile for peterh   Email peterh         Edit/Delete Post 
Come on pooka. You're a child of the 80s. Chunk was fat, Sloth was liberated.
Posts: 995 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
UofUlawguy
Member # 5492

- posted      Profile for UofUlawguy   Email UofUlawguy         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, by the way, was anyone else reminded of the pirate cave from the Goonies when they saw Pirates of the Caribbean?
Posts: 1652 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
wonders if I should be worried that I didn't have to open this thread to know who he was talking about. The Goonies was the first thing that came to mind.
not only was it the first thing that came to mind, but i would've been disapointed if it *wasn't* that.
Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a child of the 80's, but I was old enough to be mainly consumed by the burgeoning romance aspect. I only saw it once, but it was in a real theater.

[ April 21, 2004, 03:17 PM: Message edited by: pooka ]

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

quote:
I went to school with Chunk! Well, sort of. We were at Cal Berkeley at the same time, and he ran for the Associated Student Council. His whole campaign was 'vote for Chunk.' I never met him or anything.
He actually talked about running for that. He said "Everyone takes politics so serious and had their game plan on how to win. All I did was put a sticker that said 'vote for chunk' on a bunch of suckers and handed them out. Theres a lesson in that, which is the best way to win is just to put a sticker on some food."

quote:
You think Corey Feldman can find the time to be in the sequal, what with his music career keeping him busy and all?
::laughs:: Be worried. Theres going to be a reality show with him and some other guy named Corey Hammond or something called 'The Cory Show' on VH1 if they can get the pilate up and running.

quote:

Chunk was fat, Sloth was liberated.

And they are going to be living together. ::wink wink::
Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MEC
Member # 2968

- posted      Profile for MEC   Email MEC         Edit/Delete Post 
I was born in 1985, and I saw it...do I count as a raised in the 80's kid?
Posts: 2489 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zgator
Member # 3833

- posted      Profile for zgator   Email zgator         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm assuming you mean Corey Haim. Now I'm going to shoot myself for assuming that.
Posts: 4625 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay -- photos of him at the bottom of This SIte but I swear I must have missed this entire 1980's phenom.

FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saxon75
Member # 4589

- posted      Profile for saxon75           Edit/Delete Post 
Rocky... road?
Posts: 4534 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
Baby, baby... Ruth?

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
I blame Goonies for my lifelong obsession with keyboard instruments made out of human remains.

It's also worth noting that Goonies, along with a small handful of other '80s films, was a primary inspiration for my "High School: the RPG." In particular, it gave the world one of the special powers of The Outcast -- the motivational speech -- and the class of The Fat Kid (who cannot die, cannot succeed on any check not involving food, and automatically charms humanoid monsters of low Hotness due to a feeling of shared kinship -- but gains no experience from any successful adventure, receiving pizza instead.)

[ April 21, 2004, 09:15 PM: Message edited by: TomDavidson ]

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kwsni
Member # 1831

- posted      Profile for kwsni   Email kwsni         Edit/Delete Post 
::grumbles::

Would've been better if Sean Astin had come to your school. THEN I'd touch you.

Ni!

Posts: 1925 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lcarus
Member # 4395

- posted      Profile for lcarus           Edit/Delete Post 
[ROFL] @ Tom

Yeah. So, I saw Goonies.

Given the day I'm having, I think I'll leave it at that.

Posts: 1112 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
Nate, I think they're calling it "The Rise and Decline of 12 actors named Cory."

Also, Goonies II had better have Sean Astin looking all dirty and beat up in a rocky underground cavern.

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kwsni
Member # 1831

- posted      Profile for kwsni   Email kwsni         Edit/Delete Post 
But...isn't like half of ROTK Sean Astin looking dirty and beat up?

Ni!

Posts: 1925 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

[Wink] zactly
Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

"Chunk, don't go where I can't follow!"
Annie
Member # 295

That gets 3 rolling heads, Nate.
Ralphie
Member # 1565

- posted      Profile for Ralphie   Email Ralphie         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
In particular, it gave the world one of the special powers of The Outcast -- the motivational speech -- and the class of The Fat Kid (who cannot die, cannot succeed on any check not involving food, and automatically charms humanoid monsters of low Hotness due to a feeling of shared kinship -- but gains no experience from any successful adventure, receiving pizza instead.)
This is unbelievably funny.
Posts: 7600 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
*grin* I should've known you'd appreciate it, Ralphie.

The other character classes were:
The Jock
The Greaser
The Prep
The Princess
The Bad Girl
The Goth
The Nerd
The Gangsta
The Metalhead
The Foreign Exchange Student

Character traits were Moxie, Hotness, Cool, Brains, Brawn, and Reflex.

Skills included Remember Stuff, French Kiss, Beat People Up, Apply Eyeliner, Throw Things, Pose, and more. [Smile]

It was a joke game, but I DID run a few people through a campaign, once. *grin*

[ April 22, 2004, 11:08 AM: Message edited by: TomDavidson ]

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
celia60
Member # 2039

You didn't have an Ugly Duckling class who's feat was Take Off Glasses And Stun Target With Amazing Hotness?
Posts: 3956 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
UofUlawguy
Member # 5492

Tom, I don't know where you went to high school, but I can't imagine any such RPG without a Cowboy class. They were one of the more prominent and recognizable groups at my high school.
TomDavidson
Member # 124

Celia, "Administer Makeover" was one of the Princess' special powers. It grants one permanent Cool point to anyone she does it to, and costs her one temporary Reputation.

The Bad Girl, the Goth, and the Outcast can all become Princesses if their permanent Cool rating becomes high enough. (In the Bad Girl's case, her Reputation also has to improve.)

This is SPECIFICALLY to address the "ugly duckling" effect. [Smile] (The game notes that the female version of the Outcast class is frequently a bespectacled artist.)

-------

The Cowboy was not a class, but rather mentioned as a subcategory of Jock possessed of both low Brains and low Brawn.

Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

- posted      Profile for Eruve Nandiriel   Email Eruve Nandiriel         Edit/Delete Post 
*hasn't seen the goonies*

*touches T so she doesn't feel left out*

Posts: 4174 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JohnKeats
Member # 1261

- posted      Profile for JohnKeats           Edit/Delete Post 
*touches nathan*

*touches nathan again*

*hopes nathan meets more celebrities more often*

*touches nathan one more time*

Posts: 4350 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
celia60
Member # 2039

Sweet!
T_Smith
Member # 3734

So, Caleb, any celebrities that you've met?
xnera
Member # 187

- posted      Profile for xnera   Email xnera         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

Baby, baby... Ruth?

No, no, no... it's this:

quote:

Ruth! Ruth! Ruth! Baby? Ruth!

*has most of the dialogue from The Goonies memorized*

*touches Nathan*

Posts: 1805 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ralphie
Member # 1565

- posted      Profile for Ralphie   Email Ralphie         Edit/Delete Post 
Tom - That is just freaking wicked awesome.

I'd 4 serious play on a campaign with those rules.

Posts: 7600 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
porcelain girl
Member # 1080

- posted      Profile for porcelain girl   Email porcelain girl         Edit/Delete Post 
i smell icecream.

chunk's confession to the fratelli's was among my favorite moments of the movie, one i love to see enacted over and over again.
i love making the puking sounds [Smile]

i had a huge crush on sean astin in the goonies, and i have a huge crush on him still.
*sigh* i'd be the frodo to his samwise anyday.

tom, ditto what ralphie said.

Posts: 3936 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.