FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Andrei Codrescu

Author Topic: Andrei Codrescu
ak
Member # 90

- posted      Profile for ak   Email ak         Edit/Delete Post 
This guy rocks. I just had to post this little snippet, and link to his site, to an article picked at random.

quote:
Without knowing it at the time, I had the misfortune of belonging to one of the top-hated categories. I was Jewish, from a Hungarian and Polish background, and my mother, who was Jewish, had remarried a Romanian from a part of the country hated by everyone, including the local Romanians. I didn‚t know that my home town had been subject of territorial disputes between the Austria-Hungary and the Ottoman empires, then between the nations of Romania and Hungary. These facts were relayed to us in a highly comforting version in history class, a version that blamed all misfortune on class relations and tensions within economic systems. And was this version wrong? Not necessarily. The problem with it is that it left out the one unpredictable element that usually renders nonsensical the best theories, namely, people's deep-seated and emotionally unassailable stupidity.

This stupidity, which is one of the great unanalyzed factors in all history, not just that of the Balkans, is composed of the belief that the stink of one's family and tribe is vastly superior to the familial stink of the neighboring tribe; that your language is wittier or deeper; that the sounds you make when you wail away about your love for the muddy ravine in which you were conceived is much, much more melodic than the wailing of your neighbors; that the smoke-darkened icons cut out of old magazines that hang on your wall are true representations of the only gods worth praying to, and that the gods and prayer habits of the people over the hill are unspeakable offenses that will cease only when you have killed them. This kind of stupidity is like a sturdy weed: you can weed several times a day and, in the morning, there it is again.

Posts: 2843 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
Today in my capstone French class - which is on poverty in 1st world nations - we talked about ways to implement real solutions to the problems of cultural exclusion and poverty.

Is this phenomenon really stupidity? Is calling people obstinantly stupid going to ever help the problem? What's the problem? Why do we have these issues with elitism in every social group? Is it something that education can ever solve?

(btw, cool article [Smile] )

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ak
Member # 90

Well, he's not a political theorist. He's a poet. I think he's just saying what it IS, not what will help, you know?

Anyway, he's very funny and apt and just good. I'm listening to his latest NPR commentaries now. They are great.

Edit link doesn't work! [Frown] Go to NPR.org and search for andrei codrescu.

[ April 22, 2004, 12:12 AM: Message edited by: ak ]

Posts: 2843 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

- posted      Profile for Corwin           Edit/Delete Post 
Bumped, 'cause he's Romanian just like me, and it really amazes me that I missed the thread.
Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ak
Member # 90

Oh, yeah! And he rocks! He makes me laugh so much. He has such a wry take on the world and life and everything. I spent several days going back in time and listening to all those NPR commentaries. They were great! [Smile]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.