FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Public service announcement! (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Public service announcement!
Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
If your girlfriend is really afraid of spiders, and she sees one near her desk, and tells you, it is NOT a good idea to laugh at her and keep playing a stupid game!!

[/announcemet]

[Mad] [Frown] [Mad] [Frown] [Mad] [Frown] [Mad]

[Wall Bash]

[ April 23, 2004, 09:39 AM: Message edited by: Kama ]

Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beatnix19
Member # 5836

- posted      Profile for beatnix19   Email beatnix19         Edit/Delete Post 
Instead of laughing is it ok to fling it towards said girlfriend with a book or something. Then after the flinging, would it be approprite to laugh?
Posts: 1294 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

*refrains from a very inappropriate comment*
Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

But really. Making someone cry in front of your boss is not funny.
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
(((((((Kama)))))))

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
this just underlines why I'm still single. I probably would have laughed, too. [Blushing] [Evil Laugh]
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

--|--

It was a big spider.

beatnix19
Member # 5836

This reminds me of when my wife and I had first movd into our first apartment.

It was the middle of the night and she woke me up saying she heard some kind of buzzing noise. I did the typical guy thing and told her it was nothing and to go back to sleep. She of course made me get up and turn on the lights and check. Grudgingly I toured the room until I heard a buzz coming from the bed. I hrew back the covers and one of those huge Yellow Jackets came flying right at my head. I about crapped my self.

Another time I woke up to Jennifer screaming in the bathromm at like 1:30 AM. I ran down stairs and she was standing on the toilet with her pants around her ankles. I think a gave a little chuckle at the sight and then she told me there was a mouse in the room. Our bathroom is small and I didn't see anything so I thought she was just dreaming it up until I moved our kid's step stool and the little brown fuzzy guy zipped across my foot. I threw a towl on it and took it out to the garage to, um ,dispose of it with a shovel.

Ahh... memories.

Posts: 1294 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

See?

--|--

My dad still didn't learn the lesson, after 25 years with my mom.

--|--

Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

Kama, you ever hear of the Florida Barking Spider? Now that I think of it, I think there are Polish varieties, too.
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

Then again, even if it was a tiniest spider ever, I still have the right to be afraid and mad at people for laughing at me

--|--

beatnix19
Member # 5836

My house has an absolute infestation of barking spiders. From the loud and intimidating Daddy Spiders down to the tiny little Spider offspring. It is a very scary place to be, and it seems to be really bad on taco nights. I think something in the sause seems to bring them out of hiding.
Kama
Member # 3022

Question to guys:

Is it really so hard to just accept the fact that someone might be afraid of spiders?

beatnix19
Member # 5836

No, I understand but you ladies need to understand. maturity is a thing that tends to skip over most of us fellas. In these situations we tend to respond in much the same way we would have done in grade school, by pointing, laughing and them chasing you with the spider in question. Now, is this right, absolutely not. I know its mean spirited and cruel but there is something inside us that overrides our sense of control and that little boy come out in us. It's a disease and we are infected.
Leonide
Member # 4157

- posted      Profile for Leonide   Email Leonide         Edit/Delete Post 
Poor Kamila. You could always threaten him with removal of make-out privileges. Funny what guys will quit doing for that.

~*~

and for the record, girls are not the only gender terrified of the many-legged evils. And if your guy happens not to be, just find out what he IS afraid of, and mock him mercilessly for it. Unless, you know, you're a nice person. [Razz]

[ April 23, 2004, 11:10 AM: Message edited by: Leonide ]

Posts: 3516 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

Most guys can hold out a lot longer than most women, I think. [Taunt]
skillery
Member # 6209

- posted      Profile for skillery   Email skillery         Edit/Delete Post 
I once ignited a barking spider...pretty blue flame!

Kama, in the States it is considered inappropriate to have a girlfriend in the same office. However, my wife once called from her office to tell me there was a cockroach in her computer.

The boys in my office have spider wars. We have been infested lately by a particular type of large, hairy jumping spider. The trick in spider wars is to coax the spider onto the top of your opponent’s cubicle partition and then blow the spider off the partition into the opponent’s hair. The spider will often release a dragline as it becomes airborne. If the spider was blown correctly, the dragline will wrap itself around the opponent’s ear at least twice.

Let the games begin!

Posts: 2655 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sal
Member # 3758

- posted      Profile for Sal           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Most guys can hold out a lot longer than most women, I think.
If this wasn't so obviously wrong, it should go in the out-of-context thread, neh?

[Smile]

Posts: 1045 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

- posted      Profile for T_Smith   Email T_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
::chuckles::

Ok, I might have laughed, but at the same time, I would have gotten it and placed it outside. Unless poisonous, in which case, I'd squash it. I'm a big bad spider squasher sometimes.

Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
[Kiss] That's because Hot Nathan is a hero.

--

My friend Anthonie tells the story of his parents. For their honeymoon, they went camping. During the night, his dad thought he heard a bear, and went to sleep in the car. Without waking his bride. She found him there the next morning. *shakes head*

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

He's my personal hero.

[Kiss]

Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The boys in my office have spider wars. We have been infested lately by a particular type of large, hairy jumping spider. The trick in spider wars is to coax the spider onto the top of your opponent’s cubicle partition and then blow the spider off the partition into the opponent’s hair. The spider will often release a dragline as it becomes airborne. If the spider was blown correctly, the dragline will wrap itself around the opponent’s ear at least twice.
See, there's not a jury in the world that would convict me for what I would do to you in response...

Dagonee
*Not the spider-killer in the family.

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beatnix19
Member # 5836

quote:
My friend Anthonie tells the story of his parents. For their honeymoon, they went camping. During the night, his dad thought he heard a bear, and went to sleep in the car. Without waking his bride. She found him there the next morning.
that's so funny. My parents tell the story of their honeymoon all the time. My mom woke up and had to pee but looked out the tent and saw a bear. She woke dad up and told him and soon he had to pee too but they were too scared to leave the tent. They sat awake all night in agony just to realize that their bear was really a stump. Big dummies!
T_Smith
Member # 3734

- posted      Profile for T_Smith   Email T_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
Dating tip number 302: to impress girls, take spiders otside, or squash them.

[ April 23, 2004, 12:46 PM: Message edited by: T_Smith ]

Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anna
Member # 2582

- posted      Profile for Anna           Edit/Delete Post 
(((Kama)))
Because even if I'm going better, I don't feel exactly friendly with spiders either.

Posts: 3526 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skillery
Member # 6209

And then there are the tiny baby spiders that live on top of the driver's-side visor in your automobile. They wait until you're on the motorway to start dangling in your face.

My wife's car tends to have more baby spiders than my truck because my truck's interior gets too hot. Once we went to Olive Garden in my wife's car, and halfway through the meal I noticed a car spider dangling from the corner of my spectacles into my pasta.

Does reading spider stories make you itch?

Posts: 2655 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

- posted      Profile for Zalmoxis           Edit/Delete Post 
This thread demonstrates, I think, the need for an additional announcement:

Camping is probably not the best way to do a honeymoon.

Posts: 3423 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

- posted      Profile for KarlEd   Email KarlEd         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm the Great Spider Hunter in our house. Chris can't stand the idea of one being anywhere near him. (And by "near" I mean anywhere in the house or car). I have to catch it and either squoosh it or put it outside. He has the same reaction to any other bug, too, and doesn't seem to appreciate the logic that if we leave the spider alone it might take care of any of the other bugs in the house. [Big Grin]
Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skillery
Member # 6209

When a spider has my wife cornered, I tell her to keep an eye on it while I get the fly swatter. Inevitably she takes her eye off the spider, and it disappears. Then I have to worry about spiders when I put my shoes on. Why can't women just kill the spider when it's in plain sight? Why do women feel safer once the spider scurries out of sight?
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
be very careful about your over-generalizations of women there, skillery!

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
Despite what the book may have said, we do occasionally kill spiders in this house -- usually when Mama asks me to.

--Pop

Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

Why? Because they think you're a pansy for not using your hands.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skillery
Member # 6209

Farmgirl:

Are you saying that you don't feel safer after you let the spider scurry out of sight?

Or are you one of those folks who live in Brown Recluse territory, where even women have to actively squash spiders or risk being bitten. Those suckers are aggressive!

skillery
Member # 6209

kat:

quote:
...using your hands
No way am I using my hands! There was an LDS missionary in Japan who liked to squash cockroaches with his bare hands. He would cup his hand and pop it over the roach, using air pressure to explode the bug. He would get cockroach guts all over his hand. The dude later contracted spinal meningitis and had to be hospitalized.
katharina
Member # 827

You're saying the cockroaches had spiral meningitis? [Wink]

Still, "You stay here with the spider while I go get a fly swatter." Why don't YOU stay with the spider while SHE gets the fly swatter?

[ April 23, 2004, 04:01 PM: Message edited by: katharina ]

skillery
Member # 6209

...while SHE gets the fly swatter?

Remember, SHE's cornered AND petrified.

katharina
Member # 827

So what exactly is she supposed to do about the spider? Head it off at the pass? Use her hands?
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Eat it. [Evil] Protein!
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skillery
Member # 6209

Just be able to tell me exactly where the spider went.

Here's an ookey for ya. Cowboy boots have got them pointey toes, so you can squash bugs in tight corners, right? Suppose the bug is wise to your plan and runs up your boot, over the top, and drops down inside?

Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, I live in the heart of Brown Recluse territory, and I smash them daily.

However, I know how to identify a good spider from a bad one (like a recluse) and have taught my children the difference since they were very young. Recluses and Widows are the only ones we kill.

The other spiders are our friends. They help keep out ants, roaches or any other pests that might try to invade our domain. Garden spiders outside are very good. (We believe in the importance of most species in the ecological chain). Of course, living on a farm, you have many of these types of things around, and you really lose the "it's us or them" mentality in favor of co-habitation with most all creatures. (except mosquitoes -- I draw the line there --- they are the devil)

We've also had snakes as pets before -- but that's a whole 'nother thread...

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

quote:
Suppose the bug is wise to your plan and runs up your boot, over the top, and drops down inside?
Then use your hands.
peterh
Member # 5208

- posted      Profile for peterh   Email peterh         Edit/Delete Post 
I can't believe the resident bug expert, Jenny Gardner, hasn't posted in this thread yet.

For the record, I do whatever my wife asks in this dept. She washes lots more dishes than me, so I'm in her constant debt. Oh, and she married me, that means I'm in even greater debt.

Posts: 995 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

*beams at peter*
skillery
Member # 6209

Before Jenny gets here, I thought I ought to mention that I encountered a bug the other day that sent chills down my spine. It turned out to be a "masked hunter," a kind of assassin bug that supposedly has a painful bite. I found this one while cleaning out my shed, and it had dust stuck to its body for camouflage. What made this bug so scary was how fast it moved…in my direction. I feel sorry for those who live in the eastern and central U.S., where these things are common.
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
*blasts all spiders with Silver Light*

...uh.. excuse me Laurelin *poke*poke*

*blasts all spiders with Golden Light*

There... all better. =) Two Trees exterminators at your service.

Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

<-- still angry
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
I try to not kill spiders. I find them squicky, but I can deal with them long enough to move them outside, usually.

I had to learn to deal with bugs at camp, where it was a policy not to kill things if there was any way of getting rid of it somehow else. Especially in front of the kids.

[ April 23, 2004, 05:24 PM: Message edited by: Eaquae Legit ]

Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tstorm
Member # 1871

- posted      Profile for Tstorm   Email Tstorm         Edit/Delete Post 
Smashes another spider, as a favor to Kama.
Posts: 1813 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
Spiders and I can't coexist.

I don't care how great they are. I dont care how many other bugs they kill. If they cross into my territory (the house, or outside where I will see them like making a web on my front porch) they have just committed suicide.

Dag, you made me laugh out loud, while at the same time I completely understood and agreed with you.

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yank
Member # 2514

- posted      Profile for Yank   Email Yank         Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone ever seen a Banana Spider? They're all over North Florida, especially Gainesville. Web-spinners about the size of my hand (and I'm 6'3"). I should upload some pictures....
Posts: 1631 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.