FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » How often do you question yourself and measure your achivements?

Author Topic: How often do you question yourself and measure your achivements?
Eduardo_Sauron
Member # 5827

- posted      Profile for Eduardo_Sauron   Email Eduardo_Sauron         Edit/Delete Post 
Well...while I sit here on the verge of my 28th birthday (it's tomorrow, april 24th), I can't stop myself from looking to the past and trying to figure if my life has been worthwhile. I use to do that at least twice a year (the other time being new year's eve).
So, I throw the question to anyone who'd like to share: how often do you question your own achivements? It's hard, isn't it? I know it's very hard for me. [Smile]

Posts: 1785 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
I do, periodically. It seems to come about every eight months or so when I'm forced to update my resume. There's something about trying to make "changed diapers, cooked dinner, cleaned the house" into a valid job summary that makes me think about what I've done. In addition, the quest for a job in my field (Religious Studies or Classics) always hits home - I have to again and again reconcile myself to the fact that I'm NOT doing something glamorous, the likelihood of me getting a "real job" is not high, and I have to reaffirm to myself that studying what I love is a worthwhile pursuit.
Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ralphie
Member # 1565

- posted      Profile for Ralphie   Email Ralphie         Edit/Delete Post 
More often than I achieve my ideal measurements.
Posts: 7600 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
Eaquae - Studying what you love is a worthwhile pursuit. [Smile] My degree is in Religious Studies. At the time, I didn't know what, if anything, I would "do" with it, except maybe pursuing hospital chaplaincy. Life has a funny way of working out though - I work in the engineering field (and have for 3 years now). [Big Grin]

I actually try really hard not to look back at my past and evaluate its "worthwhileness", because I can't change what's in my past and more often than not, I just end up playing "what if" games. I prefer to focus on the present and look to the near future instead.

Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valentine014
Member # 5981

- posted      Profile for Valentine014           Edit/Delete Post 
Happy Birthday, Eduardo!
Posts: 2064 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John L
Member # 6005

- posted      Profile for John L           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm with Ralphie. And I should slow down with it, because the results are often frustrating.
Posts: 779 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
This has been a big year for me questioning my achievements.. Having started college, I realize that I'm not as quoteunquote "good" as I thought I was. Since I found that there were people here that were markedly better at all the things I love to do, for a while I stopped doing them. At this point, there is very little I've found that I can be proud of having done in my life. I can be proud of the way I've treated people, proud of the connections I've made, but rarely the things I've done. I guess I just devalue them, knowing that I can never be the "best". Even things that are very obviously something worth having done, like achieving my black belt.. For some reason I can't take the credit.

It's clear to me that the way I think isn't healthy, and I've been working on it since I realized this. There are things I've done I know I *should* be proud of but.. I'm just.. not. Usually.

Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
Every 1,000 posts or so.

I think about such things often. Easy to do while unemployed -- lots of time to think. But now that I'm married it's a lot easier. It's really easy to undersell the good things we remember and focus on the negatives. Having a partner to remind me of the other side helps. She's able to remind me of negatives, too -- she just doesn't have to as often. I don't seem to forget those as easily.

And yes, it can be very difficult and painful, but also rewarding and freeing.

--Pop

Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Toretha
Member # 2233

- posted      Profile for Toretha   Email Toretha         Edit/Delete Post 
I used to do it a lot, just about everyday. But this week, I quit. Makes life so much easier. And leaves time for fun stuff like jello-wrestling. And its easier to relax.

[ April 24, 2004, 01:29 AM: Message edited by: Toretha ]

Posts: 3493 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Happy Birthday Eduardo!

[The Wave]

*I'm turning this into a birthday thread since now it is the 24th*

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eduardo_Sauron
Member # 5827

- posted      Profile for Eduardo_Sauron   Email Eduardo_Sauron         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, Farmgirl ;-)

It's been a nice birthday, so far. I lunched with my friends and friends at "À Mineira" (a nice restaurant where we can find the best food from Minas Gerais - a region of Brazil - outside Minas Gerais). Then, we came home to watch some DVDs, play some music (although I didn't play my piano for a very long time) and so on.
Unfortunatelly, I have to sleep early, since tomorrow morning I must wake up very early (I may get a teaching job at a military school. Let's see how it works out...).

[ April 24, 2004, 08:53 PM: Message edited by: Eduardo_Sauron ]

Posts: 1785 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.