FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Irony can be pretty ironic sometimes...

Author Topic: Irony can be pretty ironic sometimes...
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A39969-2004Apr24.html

quote:
Also yesterday morning, D.C. police arrested a California man for allegedly carrying a fetus in a jar during a protest in front of an office of Planned Parenthood at 16th and L streets NW.

Jeff White of Twin Peaks, Calif., was part of a demonstration by the antiabortion group Operation Witness when police officers took the fetus, said group spokesman Gary McCullough.

McCullough said police arrested White, 46, after discussing the incident for about a half-hour.

Police said White was charged with illegally exhibiting a dead body, a misdemeanor that carries a possible penalty of 90 days in jail or a $200 fine.

Edit: Emphasis added.

[ April 25, 2004, 12:17 PM: Message edited by: Dagonee ]

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

- posted      Profile for Jim-Me   Email Jim-Me         Edit/Delete Post 
I am serious... and stop calling me "Shirley".

Just where does one get a human fetus in a jar?

Posts: 3846 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John L
Member # 6005

- posted      Profile for John L           Edit/Delete Post 
Getting it in the jar is easy enough. The hard part is getting the fetus to begin with.

Okay, that was really bad. I apologize.

Posts: 779 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dragon
Member # 3670

- posted      Profile for Dragon   Email Dragon         Edit/Delete Post 
Get a fetus here
Posts: 3420 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
[Evil Laugh]
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
The article explains where he got it. Now, I think there's irony on both sides. The government charging him with a crime that pretty much assumes the personhood denied by the abortion laws (I'm assuming a dead cat in a jar would be OK). Then there's the irony that this protestor believes the baby is a human being and is displaying it's corpse ot make a political point.

Dagonee
Edit: Why is there an "Accused of Date Rape" ad at the bottom of this thread?

[ April 25, 2004, 01:32 PM: Message edited by: Dagonee ]

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
John: So, so bad. [Smile]

...and that ad is disturbing.

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
Dag,
I think there is an accused of date rape at the bottom because the thread is about abortion, and pro choicer people fight for the right of a woman to get an abortion in the case of rape.

My guess.

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
If this weren't so disturbing, it'd be hilarious. As it is, however, it's just disturbing.

I kind of doubt the charges will stick. But then what? If fetuses in jars are effective protest tools for the anti-abortion protestors, wont they all want one? And that will put pressure on for MORE abortions!

(at least that's the argument they've used to say that we shouldn't allow use of fetal stem cells, so wouldn't it apply here too?)

It's a vicious cycle people! Get off the bandwagon now before its too late. [Eek!]

It's a slippery slope! Quick, grab a sled! Last one to the bottom's a rotten egg. Or sperm. Your choice.

[Razz]

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
I am a passionate pro-life person, but the idea of protesting and waving around a dead fetus disturbs me.

What is the point he's trying to make? That a fetus looks like a real baby? That's not exactly hard for most people to accept - we have three D ultrasounds now, it's extremely obvious that a fetus looks like a real baby from a very early age. I don't understand his point and why it couldn't have been made with a poster containing an ultrasound picture. He was doing this for shock value, and I don't like that.

Fight the fight against abortion legally, and with the truth, and with love for all involved, especially the woman in the crisis pregnancy. Bloody pictures of body parts and dead babies in bottles - it's purpose is only to horrify.

Yes, the details of abortion are disturbing and horrific and the truth is an important weapon, but there are ways of going about it and I don't think this is one.

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.