FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » How long will Hatrack last?

Author Topic: How long will Hatrack last?
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

- posted      Profile for Beren One Hand           Edit/Delete Post 
Will I be able to check in twenty years from now and read posts from Alexander Matthew Davis complaining about dating life in college? Will the usual suspects hang around, beating us with subtlety sticks, debating marriage between gay robots and protesting baptism for the cryogenically frozen?

I hope so. [Smile]

Maybe I'm too young for this type of sentimental thread. But reading about Dan's good news, along with Boon's and Eduardo_Sauron's updates, gave me a powerful hope that one day I would be able to share Hatrack with my kids. It would be a treasure I can pass down like Jane was passed from Ender to Miro.

I can't wait.

Posts: 4116 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boon
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
[Big Grin]

It's a distinct possibility. Just ask LegoMan and Barbie Biker.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
The end of the HatRack is coming! Prepare while you still can! [Evil Laugh]
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Koga
Member # 5646

- posted      Profile for Koga   Email Koga         Edit/Delete Post 
yep, hatrack will last forever, there will be posts made here, that are in the Oversoul's memory banks. Just wait and see.
Posts: 733 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megachirops
Member # 4325

- posted      Profile for Megachirops           Edit/Delete Post 
This thread makes me happy and sad all at the same time.

[Smile]
[Frown]
[Smile]
[Frown]
[Smile]
[Big Grin]

Posts: 1001 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Until the Cards pull the plug.....unless you offer to foot the bill for them... [Big Grin]
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
No, hatrack will soon degrade into a LOTR fanfic site. It's sad but true.
Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MEC
Member # 2968

- posted      Profile for MEC   Email MEC         Edit/Delete Post 
let's turn this thread into the possible causes of death of hatrack thread:

1: destruction of the planet.
2: destruction of humanity.
3: destruction of technology.
4: lack of funds.
5: lack of interest.
6: evil hackers.

Posts: 2489 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
7. Evil posters.

[ April 26, 2004, 05:32 PM: Message edited by: mr_porteiro_head ]

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Slash the Berzerker
Member # 556

- posted      Profile for Slash the Berzerker   Email Slash the Berzerker         Edit/Delete Post 
7. Slash dies and leaves no progeny to carry on with his screen nick.
Posts: 5383 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
*cites Ick with "overuse of smilies"*
Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xaposert
Member # 1612

- posted      Profile for Xaposert           Edit/Delete Post 
Jatrageddon!
Posts: 2432 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
So, who's the anti-Christ, then?
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brinestone
Member # 5755

- posted      Profile for Brinestone   Email Brinestone         Edit/Delete Post 
*waits for Nathan to post*

Didn't we have a thread about the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse too?

Posts: 1903 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Slash the Berzerker
Member # 556

- posted      Profile for Slash the Berzerker   Email Slash the Berzerker         Edit/Delete Post 
Clearly, I am the anti-christ.

I most resemble the critters that come crawling out of the water in Revelation.

Posts: 5383 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

- posted      Profile for Altįriėl of Dorthonion   Email Altįriėl of Dorthonion         Edit/Delete Post 
Lets just hope it lasts a long time...if not on the web, then maybe on a written archive...
Posts: 3389 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
Dude, Slash, you are so TOTALLY the whore of Babylon. [Evil Laugh]
Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Slash the Berzerker
Member # 556

No, but I am related to her.

Which is good enough for government work.

breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
*bump*
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
no. 6
Member # 7753

- posted      Profile for no. 6           Edit/Delete Post 
Been a year, eh?
Posts: 410 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miro
Member # 1178

- posted      Profile for Miro   Email Miro         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Will the usual suspects hang around, beating us with subtlety sticks, debating marriage between gay robots and protesting baptism for the cryogenically frozen?

Interesting that you should mention gay robots. [Smile]
Posts: 2149 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, gosh. For several seconds I thought Slash was posting here again.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SIash the Berzerker
Member # 3897

- posted      Profile for SIash the Berzerker           Edit/Delete Post 
He is?
Posts: 15 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Nice try - different member number.
Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
This whole thread is a weird mind trip. I thought "What happened to Boon and Eduardo...and where is the thread with Dan's news???" [Big Grin]
Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
[Mad]

Gah! I hate when this happens! I was all, "Dude, PSI is back?" Then I saw the year....

[ROFL]

Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Peter
Member # 4373

- posted      Profile for Peter   Email Peter         Edit/Delete Post 
whoa!! now I'm confused....
There are two slashes? and i thought one was bad enough.

*runs to stock up on end of the world materials*

I wonder why i didn't have these before?

Posts: 283 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
it's slash and siash [Smile]
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
Who bumped this thread again? It was clearly tempting the fates....
Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David Bowles
Member # 1021

- posted      Profile for David Bowles   Email David Bowles         Edit/Delete Post 
Oooh! Can I be a harbinger of doom? Always wanted that job...
Posts: 5663 | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, geez, no wonder it went down. The Unmaker is back.
Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSl Teleport
Member # 7899

- posted      Profile for PSl Teleport           Edit/Delete Post 
No, I'm back. [Taunt]
Posts: 6 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh is that the explanation for why I couldn't satisfy my addiction from work today? [Big Grin]
Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
I expect that Hatrack will last two years shorter than The Begging The Question thread, and will expire three years before the Last Post Thread
Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
When Hatrack finally dies, the Orginal Potry thread will detach, fire its thrusters, and spend eternity wandering the lonely galaxy.
Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
docmagik
Member # 1131

- posted      Profile for docmagik   Email docmagik         Edit/Delete Post 
:: whistles ::
Posts: 1894 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marek
Member # 5404

- posted      Profile for Marek   Email Marek         Edit/Delete Post 
it is technically still here
Posts: 2332 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Caleb
Member # 13940

- posted      Profile for Caleb           Edit/Delete Post 
I literally was like "Oh wow, such serendipity. I'm checking the forums for the first time in months and somebody posted in this thread just yesterday."

But then I realized I had not posted in years, and had just been lurking.

And then I realized that I didn't remember my login info or the email address that I used to create it.

And now I'm here, with a new account, just so I can be like "Yup. Still here."

Posts: 3 | Registered: Apr 2019  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ricree101
Member # 7749

- posted      Profile for ricree101   Email ricree101         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Marek:
it is technically still here

Yeah. Not reading the date, my first thought at the start was "twenty years sounds a bit optimistic" (and my second was "oh, I haven't seen them in a long while").

Looking at it now, his twenty year goal doesn't sound that unlikely. The forum isn't exactly lively these days (or these past years), but lingering on for another five years doesn't sound that implausible. Whether he'll still care when that twenty years comes... we'll see, but I do expect that the archived threads will still be around.

Posts: 2437 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nato
Member # 1448

- posted      Profile for Nato   Email Nato         Edit/Delete Post 
Still here. I bet it'll even get an SSL certificate when the browsers really start threatening to cut off traffic to insecure sites.
Posts: 1592 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 7625

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum         Edit/Delete Post 
It has one - it was self issued in 2013 and expired in 2014. [Roll Eyes]
Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Caleb
Member # 13940

- posted      Profile for Caleb           Edit/Delete Post 
Man, I hope this thing sticks around long enough for me to figure out what Deerpark was all about.

To this day, I have no idea.

Posts: 3 | Registered: Apr 2019  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dogbreath
Member # 11879

- posted      Profile for Dogbreath           Edit/Delete Post 
I dunno if you were ever a member over at Sake River, but he actually opened up some there and participated as a regular member rather than just posting random/experimental poetry. Though he did a lot of that too.

(He has since left and deleted his account, but his posts are still there for your perusal if it'll help you figure him out)

Posts: 2222 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miro
Member # 1178

- posted      Profile for Miro   Email Miro         Edit/Delete Post 
I just followed an old bookmark to the forums for the first time in years.

Hi, everyone!

My, how things have changed.

Posts: 2149 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

- posted      Profile for FlyingCow   Email FlyingCow         Edit/Delete Post 
I still check back to lurk every few months or so.

[Wave]

Posts: 3960 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike
Member # 55

- posted      Profile for Mike   Email Mike         Edit/Delete Post 
Whoa, blast from the past.

(Found myself back here after googling "seeing other people as the problem is the problem" – with quotes – and a hatrack thread was one of the 5 hits.)

Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JanitorBlade
Administrator
Member # 12343

- posted      Profile for JanitorBlade   Email JanitorBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
Which thread?
Posts: 1194 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
docmagik
Member # 1131

This one, I'm sure:

http://www.hatrack.com/ubb/main/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=052025

Posts: 1894 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

- posted      Profile for MrSquicky   Email MrSquicky         Edit/Delete Post 
Huh...I don't remember seeing that one. docmagik, you still interested in discussing it? I've done a talk a couple of times that was pretty well received on largely that, but from an angle I'm pretty sure you'll disagree with.
Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
docmagik
Member # 1131

Sure!

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.