FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » End of Incarnate Evil? (Tolkien & possible futures)

Author Topic: End of Incarnate Evil? (Tolkien & possible futures)
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, we all know that Tolkien's world is supposed to be our world in the distant past.
So Dark Lord Sauron, last manifistation of incarnate evil, is destroyed.
And Tolkien was a Catholic. That means the story of Jesus is still coming up for Middle-Earth.

So if the Devil is already dead, how can Incarnate Evil make an appearance and tempt JC when he is out in the desert?

We also know that Melkor the Morgoth had suffused the Earth with a shadow of Evil so that the mortal world can never fully be free of it. But Satan is Evil with personality, reserved only for Melkor and Sauron.

So the question is did Tolkien make a mistake in meshing the Primary and Secondary Worlds?
OR, did he have a plan in place?

Was this the time that Morgoth breaks through the Doors of Night and comes back to bring about the End of Days? Who can say if the End of Days starts with Melkor's return... the only thing we know for sure is that the End of Days begins with the seige on Valinor... and that could happen any time in the distant future, not as soon as Melkor returns...

What do you all think?

[ April 26, 2004, 02:46 PM: Message edited by: Telperion the Silver ]

Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
I think that The Lord of the Rings is a work of fiction. Sorry to break it to you. *pat pat*
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
I think that Tolkien intended the stories to be myth, not history.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
From what I understand, Tolkien vehemently denied *any* symbolism in his stories whatsoever. But, that does not mean that his religious viewpoints did not influence his writing and that there is no sense in trying to find symbolism with in his works. After all, while OSC writes in many universes that vastly differ from the his religious viewpoints, you can still find the influence of those viewpoints ingrained in his works. I don't think either author did such on purpose, but the things that mean the most to us will always influence our art. What means more to a person than their religion? Not much.

Edit: Telp, either I don't my Tolkien well enough to be able to offer insight on your question. But if you flesh the question out a bit more, I might be able to offer something.

[ April 26, 2004, 01:51 PM: Message edited by: beverly ]

Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fishtail
Member # 3900

- posted      Profile for Fishtail   Email Fishtail         Edit/Delete Post 
Isn't that where C.S. Lewis' Narnia series would come in? He was buddies with Tolkien, after all.
Posts: 471 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rohan
Member # 5141

- posted      Profile for Rohan   Email Rohan         Edit/Delete Post 
Here's an interesting discussion of these things.
Posts: 196 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
Cute, Jon Boy. [Wink]
My question is purely hypothetical...dealing only within Tolkien's mythology.

His Secondary World, being of course a work of fiction, was still supposed to be set in our Primary World.

Beverly, his works are not allagory of course, as much of CSL works are, but they are still set in our world, specificlly the past.

So any theories we come up with will be metaphysical.... so let's go for broke! [Smile]

[ April 26, 2004, 02:06 PM: Message edited by: Telperion the Silver ]

Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

...flesh it out even more...

Let us try and blend two "mythologies" for fun... Tolkien's world and the Christian history. [Smile]

Jon Boy
Member # 4284

There's no h in Jon Boy! [Mad]
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

Whooops! *correcting*
[Blushing]

Jim-Me
Member # 6426

- posted      Profile for Jim-Me   Email Jim-Me         Edit/Delete Post 
I think, considering the Inklings' passion for Myth and particularly Lewis's views on it, that tolkien, in creating a Myth, was distinctly trying to create a Myth with ties into Christianity.

However... that's exactly why there isn't room for Christian tales in there. They viewed myths as distorted versions of the Christian truth (not in a bad way, but in the manner of someothing slowly coming into focus). So it stands to reason that it wouldn't be leaving open for some future Christ, but more likely that Christ would fit some figure in the stories. Gandalf would seem the fairly obivous choice there.

[ April 26, 2004, 02:15 PM: Message edited by: Jim-Me ]

Posts: 3846 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

Jim-Me, I totally agree with your "slowly coming into focus" statement. Cheers! That's part of the great charm of Tolkien and other fantasy.
In fact I think that the hazy blending is the only way to successfully create a great myth. Too many contraditions otherwise...and it also helps to inspire our imaginations.

Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Sauron is no more Satan than Frodo is Christ. Morgoth/Melkior is the Satan figure. Sauron is one of his underlings, as Gandalph is an angelic-like creature of the creators.

Remember Tolkien came from the High Catholic school of theology, where there is a whole heirarchy of angels and demons.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

- posted      Profile for Jim-Me   Email Jim-Me         Edit/Delete Post 
But, Dan, he also comes from the Mythopathic Society, who believed that Myths were "happy dreams" that God sent the pagans so they would be prepared to recognize Christ in their own Mythology.

He would have made hazy analogs, rather than direct and obvious correlations... and he seems to have done just that.

[ April 26, 2004, 05:34 PM: Message edited by: Jim-Me ]

Posts: 3846 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

True, if anyone was going to be Satan it would be Morgoth, but at least for the Second and Third Ages Sauron was the Devil on earth.

As for incarnate... I ment that we have the idea of evil or what we call evil actions, the idea of evil. And then we have Evil with a personality, the source of Evil with a humanoid (or flaming Eye) physical shape.

Part of the Prophacy states that the Gods themselves shall grow weary, and the watch on the Walls of Night will fail, and Morgoth will return and lay seige to Valmar...

And then of course we have the return of the Heros, esp. Turin, and the death of Morgoth and the recovery of the Silmarills, and the ressurection of the Two Trees...and the Second Great Music...

Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Let us try and blend two "mythologies" for fun... Tolkien's world and the Christian history.
I'm game. It won't be hard, because Tolkien was specifically trying to come up with myths consistent with Christianity.

First, the fall is specifically mentioned in the Simarillion. It states that Men arrived after Morgoth stole the Simarils, and that he thought Man's arrival was so important that he left Angband to see to it personally.

When the men arrived in Beleriand, they could perceive the shadow of the fall on their souls.

The theme is brought out more strongly in the Numenor tale. Basically, it demonstrates that ultimate corruption of man absent Christ. In the description of why men can't go to the Blessed Lands you get some hint of it as well.

There's many, many more. It's clear Morgoth = Satan. Sauron was a lesser fallen angel with corporeal form. The last line of the section of the Simirillian that's actually about the Simirils says something to the effect that his shadow still moves in the world, as do his servants.

Tolkien also makes it clear that evil is ultimately self-destructive (Sauron took the same ruinous path into the void as Morgoth) and that submission to authority is a necessary state.

I'd love to go on, but I've got studying to do!

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

I think it's clear from the overwhelming evidence that Tom Bombadil is Satan.
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, first off, it's clear that Sauron is not the last supernatural Evil in the world-it's said many times that there will be other Shadows.

Second, in 'Morgoth's Ring', it's made clear that Morgoth actually invested part of his power (originally greater than everything else put together except for Eru) into Arda. While it's not enough to turn everything to evil, the very fabric of the world has a little bit of evil in it (one neat tidbit: gold is one such material Morgoth focused on)

Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Satan
Member # 529

- posted      Profile for Satan   Email Satan         Edit/Delete Post 
All this time I thought I was Satan.

--Pippin

Posts: 109 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Toretha
Member # 2233

- posted      Profile for Toretha   Email Toretha         Edit/Delete Post 
they destroyed the big looming evil of Sauron, yeah, but there's still the smaller evils to fight and conquor, evils that are in every person.
Posts: 3493 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ak
Member # 90

- posted      Profile for ak   Email ak         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, there will be evil in other times. Gandalf just says they have to do what they can to defeat the evil in their own time.
Posts: 2843 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.