FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Anne Rice's Vampire Chronicles

Author Topic: Anne Rice's Vampire Chronicles
kidyanna
Member # 6148

- posted      Profile for kidyanna   Email kidyanna         Edit/Delete Post 
Has anyone read any of the vampire chronicle books by Anne Rice? I just started "Tale of the Body Theif" (the fourth book) and can't really put it down...much like the first three....I was wondering if anyone has anyone else read any of the books or seen the movies of " Interview With the Vampire" or "Queen of the Damned" ?

Kidyanna

[ April 26, 2004, 02:26 PM: Message edited by: kidyanna ]

Posts: 68 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fitz
Member # 4803

- posted      Profile for Fitz   Email Fitz         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, I've read them all, and they keep getting better. At least for two or three more books in the series. Memnoch The Devil is probably the last really good part in the series. Pandora and Vittorio are both pretty decent, but the rest of them really suck.

Unfortunately, Anne Rice seems to find it necessary to write about pedophilia as if it's acceptable and natural. It's a major turnoff. If that's the kind of thing that would bug you, and I can't really see how it wouldn't, then I would suggest skipping The Vampire Armand and Blood and Gold.

The last couple of books haven't been as disgusting; they've just been plain awful. Anne Rice fans are extremely disappointed with the quality of work she's been putting out lately. If you want some good, vintage Rice, read The Lives of The Mayfair Witches trilogy when you're done with Memnoch.

Posts: 1855 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sugar+Spice
Member # 5874

- posted      Profile for Sugar+Spice   Email Sugar+Spice         Edit/Delete Post 
I watched 'Interview with the Vampire' movie at my friend's a couple of days ago, and I have to say, we found it completely hilarious. Especially the bits where the vampires kill people and the people don't seem to notice. I mean, if someone was biting you I think you'd catch on pretty quick.

But anyway, it's a very camp movie, but Tom Cruise is funny, in a sick way.
'You've been a very naughty little girl...'

EDIT - Awful spelling.

[ April 26, 2004, 05:49 PM: Message edited by: Sugar+Spice ]

Posts: 119 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
I have not seen any of the movies, but I have read Interview with a Vampire. It was pretty different from anything else I have read. It wasn't so awesome that I went and read all the rest right away, but I will probably read another one of them some day.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Body Thief is what made me give up the series. *snooze*.

Plus I hate that she just abandoned Louis like that. He's a far more interesting character than Lestat.

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chizpurfle
Member # 6255

- posted      Profile for Chizpurfle   Email Chizpurfle         Edit/Delete Post 
Ah, yes. The Vampire Chronicles. [Smile]

I finished it all in a few of days. I just sat down, read, and didn’t stop reading unless it was absolutely necessary. Yep, it was that good. Unfortunately however, after Lestat went all religious on me in Memnoch the Devil, I had another one of my “WTF??” moments and threw the book across the room in disgust.

Later on, I tried to read her other books, but it just wasn’t the same.

Posts: 35 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GZ
Member # 6077

- posted      Profile for GZ   Email GZ         Edit/Delete Post 
Tale of the Body Thief cracked me up. I kept chuckling all through the part with Lestat and the snow (I won't say more or I'd need a *SPOILER*). Somewhere about the middle of Memnoch The Devil I lost interest, not sure why, just didn't go for the whole Paradise Lost motif she was developing. One of these days though, I'll have to sink back into Rice prose. Her style at its best can be completely mesmerizing with its lush detail.
Posts: 14 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kidyanna
Member # 6148

- posted      Profile for kidyanna   Email kidyanna         Edit/Delete Post 
I hope I don't lose intersest but I do tend to lose interest in things quite often....the only other book sereies I have read and stuck with are , The Little Women series by Louisa May Allcot, The Anne of Green Gables books by L.M. montgomery, and yes it is lame but ,The Harry Potter series by J.K. Rowling... and i read constanly so that's not a good sign... i truly love her writing style , she paints such a vivid image with her words...
Posts: 68 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
Why do you think the Potter books are lame?

:gets ready to pounce:

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tristan
Member # 1670

- posted      Profile for Tristan   Email Tristan         Edit/Delete Post 
Because they're for kids and adults should feel slightly ashamed for reading and liking them.
Posts: 896 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

Why should an intelligent adult be ashamed to read a good story?

I should say a 'mature, intelligent adult.'

[ April 28, 2004, 06:01 PM: Message edited by: Scott R ]

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Space Opera
Member # 6504

- posted      Profile for Space Opera   Email Space Opera         Edit/Delete Post 
I read Harry Potter. I consider it my "take a break and just enjoy" literature.
Posts: 2578 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tristan
Member # 1670

- posted      Profile for Tristan   Email Tristan         Edit/Delete Post 
Don't ask me, I'm only channeling the General Public and it isn't that much into self-analysing.
Posts: 896 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

Yep, that's pretty much what I thought.
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
I think the dedication in The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe is appropriate to the Harry Potter for adults issue:

quote:
My dear Lucy, I wrote this story for you, but when I began I had not realized that girls grow quicker than books. As a result you are already too old for fairy tales, and by the time it is printed and bound you will be older still. But some day you will be old enough to start reading fairy tales again. You can then take it down from some upper shelf, dust it, and tell me what you think of it. I shall probably be too deaf to hear, and too old to understand a word you say, but I shall still be your affectionate Godfather, C. S. Lewis.

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.