FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Does safety turn us into jerks? My theory about swords and politeness. (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Does safety turn us into jerks? My theory about swords and politeness.
Slash the Berzerker
Member # 556

- posted      Profile for Slash the Berzerker   Email Slash the Berzerker         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sure someone somewhere has already done an exhaustive study on this topic, but I've never read it.

I have always sort of felt like we are too safe from the consequences of our actions nowadays. If someone cuts you off in traffic, you flip him the bird. Both of you feel relatively safe in performing these rude actions. We all hear about the guy who shoots at the car that cut him off, but it is rare enough to be anomaly, and surely it will never happen to us.

We get into angry and epithet filled arguments with total strangers nearly at the drop of a hat. I have been cussed out for walking too slowly down the sidewalk, for glancing at someone's girlfriend, for waving my hand in front of my face when someone blew a cloud of cigarette smoke into my path.

And if I decided to haul off and punch the smoke blower who cussed me out, I would be taken to jail, and he could tell all his friends in righteously indignant tones about the crazy person he ran into. We are insulated from the consequences of rudeness by society.

I am a history buff, and I am always amazed by the elaborate and formal politeness rituals that show up in ancient societies amongst whatever social classes were allowed to carry arms. Is it that these people were just naturally more polite? Or is it possible that when you lived in a society where a person was allowed to stab you to death for being rude, it encouraged politeness?

I mean, people would still get mad at each other. They would still hurl insults at the right provocation, but there would be this understanding that someone could die when it was all said and done. It would tend to separate the minor slights from the major ones pretty quickly. Every urge to insult would be tied to the thought, "Is this worth dueling to the death over?"

I think this idea was reinforced to me, when I spent time with people who live inside a very violent subculture. I got to know some people who were involved in asian gangs in SoCal. They all carried guns. And they were very rude and aggressive with people outside their culture. But they had the beginnings of these elaborate politeness formalities forming for dealings inside the culture. You see it in the black gangs as well. This constant reference to 'respect'. It has nothing to do with respect, really. It just has to do with speaking and acting differently when dealing with someone who also carries a gun, and is just as likely to pull it as you are.

I think that if the gang cultures continued on for another hundred years, there would be this really elaborate formal politeness used by gang members when dealing with each other. I think we are seeing the proto stages of it right now. After enough people get shot over something silly, the survivors will start looking for ways to not start fights with each other.

So, after all my rambling, the idea is the same as when it started. We as a society are mostly protected from the consequences of rudeness. No one expects the target of their tirade to pull out a rapier and stab them. Are we breeding politeness out of the race?

Posts: 5383 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

- posted      Profile for Jim-Me   Email Jim-Me         Edit/Delete Post 
Isn't it an old British saying that "an armed society is a polite society"?
Posts: 3846 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
--|--
Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
/quibble

Gangs, 'armed' gangs, have been around forever.

/quibble

Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, some guy was stabbed by the guy he cut off in a road rage incident the next town over from me.

In New Hampshire, we take "live free or die" very seriously.

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Slash the Berzerker
Member # 556

- posted      Profile for Slash the Berzerker   Email Slash the Berzerker         Edit/Delete Post 
rebuttal of quibble/

Yes, but any armed gang that survives long enough becomes part of the establishment.

IE Successful robbers build towers and take over territories thus becoming lords who then deal with other lords who then form countries under one uber successful lord and everyone is still carrying a sword and they develop these really elaborate formalities for dealing with each other.

/rebuttal of quibble

Posts: 5383 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
fascinating thoughts, Stormy . . .

*wanders off to ponder them some more*

*particularly the thoughts that being horribly teased as a child didn't stop until she got tough and crazy enough to kick butt*

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sndrake
Member # 4941

- posted      Profile for sndrake   Email sndrake         Edit/Delete Post 
Slash,

I'm too lazy to try to dig around for specific culturual examples. But even assuming your premise is true - about politeness in the classes allowed to carry weapons - I believe that in many cases that formality only extended to peers.

In caste-bound societies - most of the historical examples - there was pretty much an assumed right to use those weapons against those outside of the group or below one in caste. You could almost argue that gangs DO operate that way today. There is "relatively" little serious violence within a given gang, member against member. Violence is directed at rival gangs or those outside of the gang culture altogether.

Edit: It's getting to be pretty late in the day when I can't remember the name of the person I'm replying to. Fortunately, in this culture, this is no cause for me to fall on my sword even if I had one. [Wink]

[ April 27, 2004, 03:21 PM: Message edited by: sndrake ]

Posts: 4344 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jebus202
Member # 2524

- posted      Profile for jebus202   Email jebus202         Edit/Delete Post 
I try to be polite to armed gang members.
Posts: 3564 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aretee
Member # 1743

- posted      Profile for aretee   Email aretee         Edit/Delete Post 
Slash, I agree. Look at the formalities and the respect shown in the Mafia. (Not Asian, but Italian) You see the same thing. Would adultry slow if the husband of the mistress could still challenge her lover to a duel?

My fiance says people have become more aggressive drives because brake technology is much better and that has enhanced people's sense of safety. Can that be part of it as well?

[ April 27, 2004, 03:33 PM: Message edited by: aretee ]

Posts: 1735 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alexa
Member # 6285

- posted      Profile for Alexa           Edit/Delete Post 
Slash and artee (sp?),

Great question and insight. I once had an economics teacher pull out figures on how with each safety improvement there was a positive correlation to accidents.

The solution he read was to put a giant spike on everyone’s steering wheel. I bet if we did that, we would have much more cautious drivers.
[Evil Laugh]

Posts: 1034 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Paul Goldner
Member # 1910

- posted      Profile for Paul Goldner   Email Paul Goldner         Edit/Delete Post 
Slash-
You should read Swordspoint, by Ellen Kushner. I think you'd like it [Smile]

Posts: 4112 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Slash the Berzerker
Member # 556

SNDrake:

I agree. I was not making any assertions that the weaponed nobility was more polite to anyone outside their caste. The opposite was clearly true.

They were more polite to those with the same ability to cause harm that they had. Which is sort of my point.

ak
Member # 90

- posted      Profile for ak   Email ak         Edit/Delete Post 
I always suspected that the fact that we're all armed to the teeth here in the south is part of the reason we're so polite.
Posts: 2843 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know, Slash -- thinking about the cowboys in the early days of the plains -- they carried their six-shooters, and they understood that if they were to cheat at the poker game, it could mean instant death -- but that didn't KEEP them from cheating. Especially if they saw it as a challenge see if they could not be caught.

Of course, maybe as many didn't cheat, I don't know. But the threat of death hasn't ever totally kept people from doing impolite things, because they are usually spontaneous and not-well-thought-out.

Farmgril

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Slash the Berzerker
Member # 556

The period of time in which cowboys wandered the streets and saloons packing their six shooters was extremely short. I mean, the street gang the Crips has been around for about the same duration.

And I would argue that people are less impetuous when life and death are on the line.

Rhaegar The Fool
Member # 5811

- posted      Profile for Rhaegar The Fool   Email Rhaegar The Fool         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, If you look at feudal age Bushido Japan and the Samurai caste, I think people really used to more polite, because if you were not polite then any Samurai could cut off your head, even if you were being insulting to say a bartender and he happened to hear it. I think America needs to start wearing swords, preferably light calvary sabers from the Napolenoic period.
Posts: 1900 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmm, so if I wear my sword on my hip, will people be more polite to me? (is that vene legal, if I keep it in plain view?? Anyone??)
Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JohnKeats
Member # 1261

- posted      Profile for JohnKeats           Edit/Delete Post 
My History teacher used to say:

"If everyone in the world had a gun, there would only be three kinds of people in the world: the Quick, the Dead and The Polite."

Posts: 4350 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

Slash, to extend your rebuttal, once those gangs become lords, they disarm everyone else, or just leave everyone else with pocket knives for defense; or take away their crypto. The society that you're talking about, where everyone is armed, is kind of an extension of the anarchist principle, and no group in power will ever allow it.

Another thought that I have is that there is a difference between having a gun and being willing ot use a gun. The people in society who are willing to use a gun to get what they want at the drop of a hat--the dicks, the jerks, the jackasses--are going to rule everyone else strictly because of the simple fact that they are dicks, jerks, and jackasses and don't care about what anyone else thinks.

Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ak
Member # 90

- posted      Profile for ak   Email ak         Edit/Delete Post 
There are a lot of otherwise peaceful people who think of it as a civic duty to rid the world of people like that, though.
Posts: 2843 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

Well, sure. Organization and training are always going to win over sheer nastiness. But one on one? That's a different story, I think.
Slash the Berzerker
Member # 556

Well, to be honest, I don't subscribe to the "everyone should wear a six shooter" philosophy. I am just speculating on why we feel so free to be rude to each other in modern society.

I am wondering if part of it is our feeling that we are safe in doing so.

Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

Oh, I don't disagree with you at all. It's very prominent on the internet. People will say things to your face that they wouldn't dare to say in real life because they know they are, by and large, safe from your wrath.
Richard Berg
Member # 133

- posted      Profile for Richard Berg   Email Richard Berg         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Isn't it an old British saying that "an armed society is a polite society"?
I've always attributed this to Heinlein, but it could predate him.
Posts: 1839 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saxon75
Member # 4589

- posted      Profile for saxon75           Edit/Delete Post 
Back in college, The Genuine told me that archaeologists studying Ancient Egypt once found hieroglyphics that translated (roughly) to "Every generation is lower and less polite than the previous."
Posts: 4534 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xaposert
Member # 1612

- posted      Profile for Xaposert           Edit/Delete Post 
I think our society right now is pretty polite, as far as societies go - almost too polite, in a way.

However, even if this theory were to be true, I'd definitely rather risk being insulted than risk being shot. It's a great tradeoff.

Posts: 2432 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Unmaker
Member # 1641

- posted      Profile for Unmaker   Email Unmaker         Edit/Delete Post 
:wishes he had a sword:
Posts: 1144 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

<-- has a sword
Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frisco
Member # 3765

- posted      Profile for Frisco           Edit/Delete Post 
Swords didn't keep that guy from mouthing off to Grignr, did they?
Posts: 5264 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I always suspected that the fact that we're all armed to the teeth here in the south is part of the reason we're so polite.
[ROFL]

Anne Kate completely has a point there.

AND.

I also have a sword. So does Ken. And we can use them.

*brandish*

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
punwit
Member # 6388

- posted      Profile for punwit   Email punwit         Edit/Delete Post 
Not to be rude but the premise seems almost oxymoronic. If everyone had the right to be extremely rude (chopping off your arm or shooting you) we would be less rude as a society?
Posts: 2022 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

*chops off punwit's arm*

That'll learn ya.

Kama
Member # 3022

punwit, chopping off your arm would not be rude.

--

--|-- mack

[ April 28, 2004, 07:42 AM: Message edited by: Kama ]

mackillian
Member # 586

*chops off Kama's hand*
Kama
Member # 3022

Oh? I still have one more:

--|--

mackillian
Member # 586

*chops off Kama's other hand*
Kama
Member # 3022

[Mad]

Meep!

mackillian
Member # 586

And that'll learn YOU. [Big Grin]
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

- posted      Profile for Beren One Hand           Edit/Delete Post 
*stays away from Mack, for I have but one hand to give*

I already knew Kama had a swrod. [Smile]

Posts: 4116 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
punwit
Member # 6388

Kama, I believe chopping off my arm would be extremely rude.
Posts: 2022 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

It's not rudeness. It's the consequence of you being rude.
punwit
Member # 6388

I respectfully disagree. Chopping off my arm in response to some rudeness on my part would still qualify as rudeness. Are you saying that rudeness only qualifies if you are the instigator? And if so I fully expect that most folks involved in any sort of rudeness clash would maintain that the other fella was the instigator.
Anna
Member # 2582

- posted      Profile for Anna           Edit/Delete Post 
Now Kama, you should shout "Chiken" to Mack. [Big Grin]
Posts: 3526 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

[ROFL]

I was waiting for that. [Big Grin]

Kama
Member # 3022

When you are a kid and do something bad and your mom smacks you, is it rude?
Anna
Member # 2582

- posted      Profile for Anna           Edit/Delete Post 
You never have to wait long when it's about Monty Pythons references.
Posts: 3526 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PaladinVirtue
Member # 6144

- posted      Profile for PaladinVirtue   Email PaladinVirtue         Edit/Delete Post 
Great thoughts Slash, thanks for bringing this up. I have beren thinking about ths since last week when a guy nearly made me wreck on the DC beltway. I grew angry with him [Mad] and let fly with my, um , gestures. And then I was got more upset when he responded with his finger as well as he then swerved in front of me mere inches in front of my bumber. Why I was actually surprised that he gave the finger back to me when he was clearly the one who was driving dangerously seems silly, in retrospect. I strikes me as such dumb thing to do anymore, give the finger, b/c everyone has one and can just as easily respond.

So, later in the same trip when another person decided to tailgate, in the extreme, me at 80mph (it was a long trip... [Roll Eyes] ) I deceided that I wouldn't give the finger anymore. I decided to visibally (sp?) laugh at them when they started making gestures at me. I found this to be more effective b/c it just pissed them off more, and I laughed even harder.

A question I have is this, what kind of consiqences for rudness can we add to society besides violence? Though I like the idea of strapping on a sword, I think that it would just take too much of my time to address every jerk that is rude to me b/c I live in the city. Plus, that's alot of blood. So any ideas?

Posts: 181 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
punwit
Member # 6388

If I sassed my momma and she grabbed a two-by-four and whacked me into next week then yeah it's rude. Perhaps my definition of rudeness and yours are not the same. I would define rudeness as among other things, "an overreaction to a perceived slight"
Kama
Member # 3022

It's punishment. It's like you used to get your hand cut off for stealing bread. It was overly strict, but not rude.

Injuring you for offending someone is not an act of rudeness, it simply is a very strict punishment.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.