FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Would you take the five steps, or what?

Author Topic: Would you take the five steps, or what?
Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
Kill Bill vol. 2 describes a deadly technique. You're punched (touched?) in five places on your body. Then, after you start walking, your heart explodes after 5 steps. No, I don't want to ask if this is for real. [Razz]

Instead, I'd like to ask you this. After you're punched, you're apparently pretty much okay until you start walking. So assume this happens to you. What do you do? Do you get up and walk, knowing death is inevitable? Would you be strong enough to do this? Won't the fear paralyse you?

Or do you endeavor to spend the remaining years of your life sitting down? How long will you be able to do this? How much effort and energy would it take to always remember that you cannot get up and walk?

And then again - would walking be an act of courage? Or maybe you'd take it to be an easy escape from the otherwise unbearable life?

Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayelar
Member # 183

- posted      Profile for Ayelar   Email Ayelar         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd get a wheelchair. One of those cool Dean Kamen ones that can climb steps.
Posts: 2220 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Danzig
Member # 4704

- posted      Profile for Danzig   Email Danzig         Edit/Delete Post 
I could definitely spend the rest of my life in a reclining position.
Posts: 1364 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

Oh, just in case, I don't mean life when you cannot walk is unbearable. Life when you can walk, but have to constantly remember not to, is.

Would you be able to keep yourself from dream-walking?

Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Stand up and walk.
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Troubadour
Member # 83

- posted      Profile for Troubadour   Email Troubadour         Edit/Delete Post 
^
|

What she said.

Posts: 2245 | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

- posted      Profile for Beren One Hand           Edit/Delete Post 
I'll get me one of 'em Amazon woman to carry me around.

If I were a girl or a Hobbit, Aragorn.

Posts: 4116 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anna
Member # 2582

- posted      Profile for Anna           Edit/Delete Post 
What Ayelar said.
I love life, thank you.
Maybe I would have my legs cut to be sure I don't walk in my dreams.
EDIT to add : maybe I would just attach my shoes together to be sure not to walk. I mean, if I have my legs cut and ten years after they find a way to cure the heart disease, I would look stupid.

[ April 28, 2004, 08:24 AM: Message edited by: Anna ]

Posts: 3526 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
I've got a lot of people in my life that don't want me to die. And I have faith that if this thing were possible to do, there must be someone in the world who knows how to undo it.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Hm. I'd recline until someone figured out what caused it, and then either have them fix it or amputate my legs.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yebor1
Member # 1380

- posted      Profile for Yebor1   Email Yebor1         Edit/Delete Post 
I vote for not pissing someone off so much that they have to do that to me in the first place.

TomD If one of you burns knows this technique, your in trouble.

Posts: 1661 | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anna
Member # 2582

Good reflexion, Yebor. Everyone should try this. But, hey, there's always a few mad people who would do that only for fun.

[ April 28, 2004, 12:51 PM: Message edited by: Anna ]

Posts: 3526 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd not walk, because the body should be able to heal itself eventually and I'd prefer to stay alive.

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

- posted      Profile for MyrddinFyre           Edit/Delete Post 
See, I wouldn't have realized what happened to me so I'd just get up and start wandering around. (Wouldn't last too long but yeah)

And I'd totally volunteer to carry Beren around [Smile]

Posts: 3636 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

I guess what would really happen is I'd say to the perpetrator "you'd do something that horrible and then expect me to take your word for it that you're telling the truth?"

I haven't seen the movie, so I guess it's not spoiling it for me to speculate that this is a ploy for some bad guy to get away. You can either kill yourself and maybe kill them, or try to live and fight another day. Kind of like what Petra faced when Achilles opened the airplane door.

I'm just trying to figure out who on earth would take the five steps.

Stargate, your answer seems at variance with what you said in the Italian thread with the guy who defied the kidnappers.

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Da_Goat
Member # 5529

- posted      Profile for Da_Goat           Edit/Delete Post 
I'd get out my cell-phone, which I never leave behind.

I'd call my family and friends and give them my maybe-farewells. Maybe I'd also have somebody come near me so I could narrate my will to them.

I'd call a hospital, explain my situation, and ask if anything could be done.

If not, I'd stand up, tell everybody standing within an unsafe distance to back up, and walk.

If they can come with a wheelchair or something, I'd use that, and then I'd do something to make walking impossible for me. I don't think I'd have the will-power to break them or cut 'em off, but maybe I could somehow tie my butt down with bricks.

Posts: 2292 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xnera
Member # 187

- posted      Profile for xnera   Email xnera         Edit/Delete Post 
I have not seen the movie, so I don't know how this scenerio is used. But I'm fascinated by it. I mean, why walking five steps? When I first read it, I immediately thought that the punches did so much damage to the body that any extra extertion (walking, or moving your arms, or whatnot) would cause death. But from the comments it sounds like it's just walking that would cause it. Interesting.

Me, I'd think I'd want to live, so I would try not to walk. The problem with that is that for someone who's walked all their life, walking becomes an intuitive gesture. It's muscle memory. In this instance, I am not incapable of walking because of paralysis or because I'm tied to a chair or something; I'm only prevented from walking because of my will to live. But then one morning wake up all groggy and forget about your predicament, and you stumble your five steps and die. What a terrible situation.

Posts: 1805 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

Da_g, I hadn't thought of the heart exploding in a destructive way. I guess it really would seem to involve some crazy deal with a villian.

I guess the theoretical basis is that in Feng Shui there are five elements that correlate to accupuncture meridian systems. Picture a pentagram. The top point is Fire/heart. At 3 o'clock is Earth/spleen. At 5 o'clock is metal/lung. (iron lung! ha ha ha). At 7 o'clock is water/kidney. At 9 o'clock is wood/liver.

The outer circle is the creating cycle. The lines of the star are the controling cycle. So wood feeds fire, but contains earth. Fire feeds earth but controls metal and so forth. I guess by screwing up the alignments of these meridian relations it could, in theory, be bad. But it seems like walking backwards might work.

I know, I'd light a flare, step forward, step back, turn 3 times and jump forward.

You know, in Tomb Raider 2 if you do that but forget the flare you explode.

skillery
Member # 6209

- posted      Profile for skillery   Email skillery         Edit/Delete Post 
There are a couple of judo holds that leave the victim messed up.

I pissed off a rather large native Japanese missionary in the missionary apartment one day. He put me in a hold that left me walking, bent over like a shrimp, for a week.

Posts: 2655 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Picture this.

You immiediately crawl to safety, hire a motorized wheel chair, and prepare to spend the rest of your life without walking.

Then, around 3am a week later, you get the urge to use the facilities. A quick jog to the bathroom is habitual. Half awake you don't realize what your doing til four and a half steps later.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Space Opera
Member # 6504

- posted      Profile for Space Opera   Email Space Opera         Edit/Delete Post 
I would just roll everywhere. Preferably I would start on top of a big hill.
Posts: 2578 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

I think doing something to totally immobilise you would be a must. I mean, I'd completely forget about this every other day.

[Eek!]

pooka
Member # 5003

So handcuff your feet together. I'm pretty open minded but I don't see how walking five steps is so fatal. And as for going to the bathroom in the middle of the night, a catheter is not that big a deal beside being chair bound for life. But this seems a really unpleasant line of conversation if no one wants to present more particulars. As improbably as the five punches are, the idea that it can't be undone seems more improbable. Again, why on earth would anyone take the five steps?
Kama
Member # 3022

Because they'd lose their honor if they didn't?

Because they are rebels?

I have no idea.

Is taking the five steps an act of courage?

[ April 29, 2004, 03:14 AM: Message edited by: Kama ]

Kama
Member # 3022

Or because you'd really believe there is nothing to be done. That you are meant to die. That you are expected to die.
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd dance.
Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

- posted      Profile for Beren One Hand           Edit/Delete Post 
Up pretty early for a man on vacation. [Smile]
Posts: 4116 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anna
Member # 2582

That's a beautiful answer Chris [Smile]
Vána
Member # 3262

- posted      Profile for Vána   Email Vána         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know what I'd do - maybe it would depend on the situation.

But I really believe that in the movie, walking was the brave and honorable thing to do. It went a long way in redeeming that character, I think. (I won't be more specific 'cause of spoilers, obviously.)

Posts: 2661 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chaz_King
Member # 3184

- posted      Profile for Chaz_King   Email Chaz_King         Edit/Delete Post 
I would bust out the cell phone, dial 911, and then call 411 to call all of the martial arts masters I could find [Wink]
Posts: 232 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.