FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The Wonders of Zomig

Author Topic: The Wonders of Zomig
jeniwren
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for jeniwren   Email jeniwren         Edit/Delete Post 
I hate taking drugs of any sort. It takes an act of overt aggression from my husband to get me to take Tylenol. I just hate it. But I would like to say that for migraines, Zomig is absolutely a wonder of the world. I've had migraines since I had my first child 11 years ago, and until recently thought it was just one of those things you have to put up with. Tylenol occasionally put a small dent in them. Finally, after losing 3 to 5 days a month to migraines and simply not being able to afford that much time lost, I had to concede that perhaps this was not something I had to put up with after all, and that perhaps a drug of some kind might help, and that perhaps I should maybe go to the doctor to see about exploring some options.

He prescribed Zomig to try.

Two months in, I'm convinced Zomig is a blessing from God. It works every time. One tab and the headache is gone. Gone. Yes, it is hideously expensive (a little over $5 per tab), but considering that the migraines get me thinking that amputation of the head might be worthwhile, five bucks is cheap.

[Cool] <-- happy to not have to wear sunglasses in a dark room anymore, just to manage the pain

[Party]

Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeniwren
Member # 2002

Just had to share that I am very happy, and why. [Big Grin]
Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ak
Member # 90

- posted      Profile for ak   Email ak         Edit/Delete Post 
Zomig, huh? I will ask Dr. Joey for some next time I go. The best I have now knocks me out and means I have to lose a day and feel lousy the next day.
Posts: 2843 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
JenniK, my wife, has the same problem. She is on Zomeg, and she likes it because it usually works well, and she isn't all drugged up.

I remember when she was on Imitrex (sp?); she would pass out right after taking one, adn she would be out for hours. As she put it, it made her "fuzzy-headed", and then knocked her out without fail.

I actually think the Imitrex worked better for her, as sometimes the zomeg doesn't work, but I understand her point.

Glad to hear that it works so well for you!

Kwea

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeniwren
Member # 2002

My doctor was out of Imitrex samplers when I went to see him, so he gave me a sample of Zomig instead, along with a prescription. It doesn't make me drowsy.

So far, no side effects, except a serious high for not spending 3 days in a fog of pain. [Smile] I hope it works as well for you.

pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe the only side effect is that you turn into a marketing spokesman for Zomig. Not that it would be a bad tradeoff. Unless the real Jeni is trapped within, unable to take control and still suffering the migraine. Like what happened to John Cusack at the end of "Being John Malkovich."
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sndrake
Member # 4941

- posted      Profile for sndrake   Email sndrake         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmm...

I don't get a "drugged up" feeling from Imitrex. Unfortunately, it works less spectacuarly and reliably now than it did the first few times I took it. This seems to be the pattern with migraine medication for me.

How many times have either of you - Kwea (or your wife, actually) or jeniwren - taken it? Has it been enough times to be satisfied your migraines aren't finding ways around the medication? Problems with rebound?

Curious - I don't get them that often, but the last one I got lasted for 3 days and had me in the emergency room.

[ April 28, 2004, 02:50 PM: Message edited by: sndrake ]

Posts: 4344 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeniwren
Member # 2002

Pooka, I can live with that side effect. [Smile]

sn, I get migraines at least once a month. Sometimes more often if I'm stressed out, which has been more true this year since I'm travelling far more than I want to. They last about 3 days, and while I can function somewhat, I don't function well. I've noticed that I have them more intensely when I'm not working out regularly.

I've had five migraine headaches since I started taking Zomig. Each one has been banished with a single tab. I hope it continues to work this well.

sndrake
Member # 4941

- posted      Profile for sndrake   Email sndrake         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I've noticed that I have them more intensely when I'm not working out regularly.

You're lucky, since working out can be a trigger and exacerbating factor for migraines, at least in women, according to research. If they ever get around to evaluating the impact of working out on migraines in men who get them, I suspect they'll find the same thing for some of us.

I was having migraines at a much higher rate two years ago and it was pretty directly related to working out. The frequency and intensity of migraines increased when I started working out and the opposite occurred when I stopped.

Now that I am substantially heavier and my blood pressure is creeping up to the borderline worry zone (I'm already on medication for hypertension), I am looking to start trying working out again and hoping my daily low dose of topamax continues to act as a preventative.

[ April 28, 2004, 03:13 PM: Message edited by: sndrake ]

Posts: 4344 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeniwren
Member # 2002

Wow, I didn't know that. I was feeling guilty because I know I feel better when I work out regularly and haven't worked out at all since my daughter had surgery last fall. Now I have no excuses -- I should go back to it. Big triggers for me, other than the hormonal one that I am not going to get out of, is skipping meals or eating the wrong things, and not getting enough sleep. Working out helps me regulate my eating (I guess I figure if I'm going to sweat, I deserve to eat well), and I sleep better. So maybe that's why I don't get them as badly.
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't take anything for migranes, at least not in the past 15 years or so. I got migranes in Jr High and in High School, but I have only had one in the last 10 years or so.

JenniK, on the other hand, has at least one every 6 weeks or so. They usually only last one day, and sometimes not even that long. She has been on Zomeg for over a year now, and she sometimes has to take two of them. Occasionally it doesn't work, but most of the time it does.

As I said, the Imitrex worked better, IMO, but JenniK prefers the Zomeg because when it does work she can function, where the Imitrex knocked her flat for at least four hours (sometimes longer).

Different people have different side-effects....

Kwea

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.