FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Equestrian Question

Author Topic: Equestrian Question
Brian J. Hill
Member # 5346

- posted      Profile for Brian J. Hill   Email Brian J. Hill         Edit/Delete Post 
Ten days from now, I will be in Canyon, TX rehearsing for a play called "Texas Legacies." I've been informed that my character rides a horse, which puts me in the dual mental state of both excited that I get to learn something new and scared to death I'm going to fall off and break my clavicle. I figure I ought to be trying to get my body in shape for riding, so I've started working out my abdominal, lower back, and inner leg muscles. My question is, what else should I be doing to get my body ready to ride? The rehearsal period is only 3 1/2 weeks, so I want to be in the best shape I can be in to learn the quickest. Any imput would be GREATLY appreciated.
Posts: 786 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miro
Member # 1178

- posted      Profile for Miro   Email Miro         Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't ridden in years, so I don't have any suggestions for you. Just one question: You're going to be riding a horse in a play? Is it not on a stage?
Posts: 2149 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tt&t
Member # 5600

- posted      Profile for tt&t   Email tt&t         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmm. Interesting question! I've never really thought about "preparing" to ride, as I've always just ridden. The exercises are probably a good idea, but trust me, you are going to be sore. [Razz] Plan a hot bath, heh, and try not to do too much at once, particularly on the first day.

Is there any chance you can get any riding in before you go? I know it's only ten days away, but the first couple of times will be what hurts the most, so if you could get that out of the way before you go you will be in a little less pain. *grin*

Good luck, and I hope you have fun! [Big Grin]

Posts: 1431 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kwsni
Member # 1831

- posted      Profile for kwsni   Email kwsni         Edit/Delete Post 
Before I ride, i try to stretch the insides of my thighs, the backs of my calves, my back, my neck, and my shoulders. Stretching has helped me a lot when i know i'm going to have a hard ride, and helped me avoid a lot of soreness.

My sister (who is riding dressage and posting a lot) got one of those inflatable pilates balls, and sits on it and bounces. To simulate a posting trot (which i doubt you'll be doing onstage) bounce up and down in a 2 beat rythym. Squeeze the ball with your knees as you go up, and it'll help you devlop those inner thighs. That's where i always get sore. You could work on your calves, too, since you'll need them to signal the horse.

Once i'm mounted, I do a few things to secure my balance. I reach up as high as i can with both hands, out to the sides as far as i can, I twist with arms outstretched, and i reach with both hands back to the horse's tail and forward to his ears.

As far as being around the horse goes, I'm sure your horse wrangler will get you aquainted with tack and the like. remember to move slowly and calmly, and not try to be to nervous. Horses are sweet and affectionate animals, and they'll like you, you like them.

I have a feeling they're going to throw you on somethng bomb-proof anyway, since the horse will be in a play with a talking moving audience.

And no matter how much preparation you do, you will be sore. I've been riding for years, and still get sore occasionally.

Ni!

Posts: 1925 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dreamwalker
Member # 4189

- posted      Profile for Dreamwalker           Edit/Delete Post 
Practice balancing. Try standing on a step with your heels off the step and push your heels down. You will probably have to lift your arms straight out in front of you to stay balanced. Practice this often. When you finally get on a horse push your heels down HARD and keep them there... you are unlikely to fall off if your heels are down because then your butt and legs are in the right place to hold on.

Remember to breathe [Smile]

Sounds like you are doing a reinactment? They are so cool!! There is one happening near here soon where they are 'doing' a roman battle. Although I think they may have their times mixed coz they are going to do some jousting as well and I'm pretty sure that was centuries later [Wink]

Let us know how it goes.

Posts: 141 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lalo
Member # 3772

- posted      Profile for Lalo   Email Lalo         Edit/Delete Post 
If you're worried about breaking a bone, I'd suggest bulking up some. Muscle tissue's surprisingly absorbent -- try working out with the bench press and power clean if you're worried about upper-body impact.
Posts: 3293 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brian J. Hill
Member # 5346

- posted      Profile for Brian J. Hill   Email Brian J. Hill         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the help, guys. Miro, the show is an outdoor drama, so there's quite a bit more flexibility as far as staging goes. I worked with horses in the outdoor drama I was in last summer, but didn't ride any. The excited part of me outweighs the nervous part, but I just want to be as ready as possible. Again, thanks a million for the advice!
Posts: 786 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Brian -- how MUCH of the play will actually be with you on the horse? If it is just a short time, then you may not have too much soreness. Some soreness for new riders comes just from their own "tension" at being tight and scared -- they lock up their own muscles and then get sore later.

Hope it is a very well trained horse. <grin>

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.