FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Mother's Day Gift Opinions Needed

Author Topic: Mother's Day Gift Opinions Needed
Mrs.M
Member # 2943

- posted      Profile for Mrs.M   Email Mrs.M         Edit/Delete Post 
My mother's birthday is in May and, of course, Mother's Day is in May. My mother has requested more framed bridal pictures and I have decided to have a portrait painted of one of them. The problem is, which one?

The photographer put Picture A in her studio, but I think it's because she likes the stained glass window. Which one do y'all like?

Picture A: http://f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/kira_marx/detail?.dir=/Wedding&.dnm=c3ea.jpg

Picture B: http://f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/kira_marx/detail?.dir=/Wedding&.dnm=4713.jpg

Picture C: http://f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/kira_marx/detail?.dir=/Wedding&.dnm=e9db.jpg

Posts: 3037 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeniwren
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for jeniwren   Email jeniwren         Edit/Delete Post 
C. I think that will make a better painting than any of the others.

edited to add that seeing those pictures makes me *really* want to meet you someday Mrs. M. [Smile]

[ April 29, 2004, 12:47 PM: Message edited by: jeniwren ]

Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
C. Hands-down. If you like the stained-glass window, though, there's no reason that you can't just change the background on the portrait.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
hmm.
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

- posted      Profile for Beren One Hand           Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with C. That pose is just priceless. I love it. You look beautiful, demure, joyous, and sassy in that picture. In the other pictures you merely look beautiful. [Smile]
Posts: 4116 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aretee
Member # 1743

- posted      Profile for aretee   Email aretee         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I like C. Definately C.
Posts: 1735 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jexx
Member # 3450

- posted      Profile for jexx   Email jexx         Edit/Delete Post 
I like C the best.

I also like B, because the veil looks so whimsical and fun, like it's absorbing all of your joy and floating out with happiness. Okay, that sounded corny. Anyway, it looks magic.

But C is the best portrait of you, I think.

Posts: 1545 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeniwren
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for jeniwren   Email jeniwren         Edit/Delete Post 
B was my runnerup too. It would have been a harder choice, but I thought that it might look very strange when painted. In a photo it's very clear what was happening. In a painting, it would depend upon the skill of the painter how well that turned out.

I love the dress. My wedding dress was empire waisted too, but sleeveless, with a grecian style drape in the back.

Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
Definitely C
Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Book
Member # 5500

- posted      Profile for Book           Edit/Delete Post 
You know she just wants a gun. What mother doesn't?
Posts: 2258 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mrs.M
Member # 2943

Oh my goodness, thanks for the wonderful compliments y'all. [Blushing]

jeniwren - really?! Why that picture? BTW, you're welcome in Richmond until mid-June. After that, you're always welcome in Roanoke. We'll have access to a gorgeous guest house and we're smack-dab in the middle of the Blue Ridge Mountains. I'd love to see pics of your wedding dress - empire waists are so unusual for some reason I cannot understand.

Beren - wow. [Blushing]
jexx - wow [Blushing] If that's corny, you can corn me up anytime.

Stargate - that's exactly what I was looking for. I had to buy the dress in NYC b/c every dress I tried on in Georgia was covered in beads and lace.

Book, that's what I gave her last year.

Posts: 3037 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
I actually like B better as a photograph, but I agree that it could look strange (or fake) as a painting. So I’d go with C.

I bought my wedding dress last week – it has an empire waist and the same kind of translucent sleeves. I wouldn’t have even tried it on – normally empire waists don’t fit me well – but the options with sleeves are so limited I thought ‘what the heck.’ And it was perfect.

Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
C
Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
What's Ketubah signing?
Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
C.

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mrs.M
Member # 2943

The Ketubah signing is the part of the wedding where the bride and groom sign the marriage contract - the Ketubah. It outlines the husband's obligations, financial and otherwise, to his wife. It is read out loud during the wedding ceremony.

dkw - pictures, please and what about the veil?

dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
I think I would feel a little weird about posting pictures before the wedding. But I'll certainly be posting them afterward.

I'm going to make the veil myself, fingertip length, chiffon to match the sleeves. Not sure about the headpiece yet.

Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

- posted      Profile for MyrddinFyre           Edit/Delete Post 
What lovely pictures [Smile] Painting-wise I definitely vote C [Smile]
Posts: 3636 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.