FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Men are obsolete (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Men are obsolete
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
First the bottle wrench and now this.

quote:
Japanese scientists have written men out of the reproduction rule-book, and created fatherless mice.

The team made the animals by combining the nucleus of one female's egg with that of another, essentially creating a mouse with two mothers.

I think I'll keep my husband anyway. He's so cute and cuddly. Obsolescence has ever stop me from keeping something I like.

[ April 29, 2004, 07:28 PM: Message edited by: The Rabbit ]

Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MaydayDesiax
Member # 5012

- posted      Profile for MaydayDesiax   Email MaydayDesiax         Edit/Delete Post 
look at it this way: one day he'll be a collector's item.
Posts: 873 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BYuCnslr
Member # 1857

- posted      Profile for BYuCnslr   Email BYuCnslr         Edit/Delete Post 
I keep telling women that men suck and you don't need us anymore, but nobody listens to me.
Satyagraha

Posts: 1986 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
I might be obsolete, but I'm still useful. And happy. [Smile]
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MaydayDesiax
Member # 5012

- posted      Profile for MaydayDesiax   Email MaydayDesiax         Edit/Delete Post 
yes, dear, but you're cute and cuddly... I think I'll keep you too
Posts: 873 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Kyuko is one success from 460 attempts at growing embryos
Parthenogenic mice! Now there's a boon to humanity. I know they aren't technically parthenogenic, but from two female haploids.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MEC
Member # 2968

- posted      Profile for MEC   Email MEC         Edit/Delete Post 
virgin births are possible in nature, however the child only has chromosomes of the mother. I don't have a link though.
Posts: 2489 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valentine014
Member # 5981

- posted      Profile for Valentine014           Edit/Delete Post 
Did anyone ever see that Sliders episode where they went to that dimension where men were on the verge of extinction due to a virus and all the women nearly had had heartattacks when they saw them (of course I would have one too if Jerry O'Connell popped out of the air in front of me).
Posts: 2064 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MEC
Member # 2968

How about the episode where women could no longer have babies and men had to be artifically impregnanted?
Posts: 2489 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jehovoid
Member # 2014

- posted      Profile for jehovoid   Email jehovoid         Edit/Delete Post 
Could you imagine the utter womanliness of a woman who got her genes from two women? She'd probably need a separate house as her shoe closet.

Oh yeah, anybody ever read Herland? I guess it really could happen.

[ April 29, 2004, 07:36 PM: Message edited by: jehovoid ]

Posts: 3056 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Until they create a robot that stomps on spiders and removes mice, Men are far from obsolete.
Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valentine014
Member # 5981

[Big Grin] For bugs

For mice

*waves goodbye to Dan*

Posts: 2064 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jenny Gardener
Member # 903

- posted      Profile for Jenny Gardener   Email Jenny Gardener         Edit/Delete Post 
That kind of man would never be allowed in my house. We practice catch and release.

I allow a certain population of spiders to live in my home, and I only remove them if the population gets too large. The population only gets large if my household ecosystem is out of balance (for instance, when the ladybugs invade in the fall). I can use my spider population as a measure of the health of my household.

As for mice, well, we have a cat. She is a very efficient mouser. If I didn't have a cat, I would welcome blacksnakes.

I still like men, though. They have a certain something I'd rather not do without. And they smell nice, and they have a very valuable but different perspective than mine.

Posts: 3141 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick
Member # 4311

- posted      Profile for Nick           Edit/Delete Post 
What about all the slave labor women make us men-folk do?
Who would build everything?
[Razz]

jk, I actually dig women contractors. [Dont Know] [Big Grin]

Posts: 4229 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jehovoid
Member # 2014

I hate contracting things from women.
Posts: 3056 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick
Member # 4311

quote:
Until they create a robot that stomps on spiders and removes mice, Men are far from obsolete.
I think he said remove, not kill. I agree with the catch and release idea. I like those boxes. Especially since I could just run the rodent to the local wildlife area (5 minutes away from my house) and set him off. [Wink]
Posts: 4229 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jehovoid
Member # 2014

Set him off? Are you using fireworks in a way they weren't intended to be used?
Valentine014
Member # 5981

Even with the new bug and mice gadgets, Jenny is right (and no, I don't use those bug things for the same reasons Jenny does), men are nice. Not just for doing things like building decks, fixing leaky faucets and the like, but they smell so good.

We'll not right after doing those things but in general. [Big Grin]

jehovoid
Member # 2014

Not to mention the entertainment value.
Valentine014
Member # 5981

Is this better?
Nick
Member # 4311

quote:
Set him off? Are you using fireworks in a way they weren't intended to be used?
[Razz]
I meant set the little thing off on it's way. Not any sort of violence.

Nick
Member # 4311

I remember what I smelled like after cutting out built in cheap sink that came with house an replaced with it with a self rimming sink.

Powdered porcelain and iron, mmm mmm! [Smile]

Polio
Member # 6479

- posted      Profile for Polio   Email Polio         Edit/Delete Post 
Where are all these men you're talking about who kill bugs and mice? I want one. My boyfriend will see a spec-that-might-be-a-spider and jump up and start dancing around until it spontaneously combusts. [Angst]
Posts: 165 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick
Member # 4311

The only spiders I know of that give me pause are brown recluses (sp?) and Black Widows. Both are common where I live, so you just make sure you don't use to thin of paper towel to crush them. Actually, "Daddy Long-Leg" spiders are the most poisonous known, but one of the least dangerous due to not being able to pierce our skin. [Smile]
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Without men, who would run out and buy you the chocolate when you really, really, want it.
Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick
Member # 4311

Who would you vent on without men? [Razz]
Pixie
Member # 4043

- posted      Profile for Pixie   Email Pixie         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmm... Cute, cuddly, good-smelling, handy around the house, just good to have around in general... and my best friend. [Smile]

I don't think he's obselete, but he is an absolute treasure: one I plan on cherishing for many, many years hence. [Smile]

Posts: 1548 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

- posted      Profile for Bob the Lawyer   Email Bob the Lawyer         Edit/Delete Post 
I wonder why this is being presented now? It certainly isn't new, I remember learning about back when I started my degree a waaaay back when. You can also remove all the female genetic material and replace them with male coding. Although you'd still need a womb.

What's REALLY awesome are the ramifications of doing all this [Wink]

Posts: 3243 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Polio
Member # 6479

- posted      Profile for Polio   Email Polio         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't even like chocolate. I think I'm getting ripped off here. [Grumble]
Posts: 165 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jehovoid
Member # 2014

quote:
Who would you vent on without men?
Who would they vent about without men?
Valentine014
Member # 5981

quote:
Although you'd still need a womb.

Arnold did it!
Megachirops
Member # 4325

- posted      Profile for Megachirops           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Could you imagine the utter womanliness of a woman who got her genes from two women? She'd probably need a separate house as her shoe closet.

[ROFL]

-o-

quote:
Actually, "Daddy Long-Leg" spiders are the most poisonous known, but one of the least dangerous due to not being able to pierce our skin.
http://www.snopes.com/critters/wild/longlegs.htm
Posts: 1001 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
*waits for Nick to mention that woman comes from womb-man*

[ April 29, 2004, 11:41 PM: Message edited by: Jon Boy ]

Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick
Member # 4311

[Grumble] You just HAD to steal my thunder didn't you Jon Boy.
[Taunt]

Jon Boy
Member # 4284

What can I say? Preemptive folk etymology debunking is a hobby of mine.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick
Member # 4311

So you're saying that woman is not a word that came from the phrase womb man?

I'm smart about a lot of things Jon, but I don't like having to have a dictionary on hand to read your posts. [Embarrassed] I'm not an english major...

[ April 29, 2004, 11:56 PM: Message edited by: Nick ]

Ralphie
Member # 1565

- posted      Profile for Ralphie   Email Ralphie         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I hate contracting things from women.
Oh, c'mon jehovoid.

Like you've ever been close enough to one to contract anything.

Posts: 7600 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

You're kidding, right, Nick? I mean, you've talked about this etymology at least a couple times, and I posted about it each time. Woman does in fact not come from "womb-man." It comes from the Old English wifman, meaning, of course, "wife-man." If you want a further explanation, I'll be happy to give you one in my thread (but I'm going to bed now, so don't expect an answer right away).
Nick
Member # 4311

It was your vocabulary that confused me, that's all. I have never seen the word etymology before. [Dont Know]
jehovoid
Member # 2014

One time I drank out of the same cup after a girl. I thought I got pregnant from it but it turns out I never menstruate anyway so my period's always late.
Slash the Berzerker
Member # 556

- posted      Profile for Slash the Berzerker   Email Slash the Berzerker         Edit/Delete Post 
I can hit stuff really hard.

Women will tell you that they don't want you to hit anything, but secretly they love the idea that if they NEEDED something hit, you could do it really well.

Posts: 5383 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ralphie
Member # 1565

- posted      Profile for Ralphie   Email Ralphie         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
One time I drank out of the same cup after a girl. I thought I got pregnant from it but it turns out I never menstruate anyway so my period's always late.
I will never be this funny. [Cry]
Posts: 7600 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frisco
Member # 3765

- posted      Profile for Frisco           Edit/Delete Post 
When men become obsolete, the only guys left will be those of us skilled in the art of sweet, sweet lovin'.

It's the time I've been preparing for my whole life. Unfortunately, I think I was born a little early. No matter. My genes will live on.

Also, I think I'll write a book.

Posts: 5264 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

preemptive: marked by the seizing of the initiative : initiated by oneself <a preemptive attack>

folk etymology: a popular but erroneous etymology

debunk: to expose the sham or falseness of <debunk a legend>

hobby: a pursuit outside one's regular occupation engaged in especially for relaxation

Edit: Wait—did you mean that you've never seen the word etymology before, or that you've never seen the word etymology before?

etymology: the history of a linguistic form (as a word) shown by tracing its development since its earliest recorded occurrence in the language where it is found, by tracing its transmission from one language to another, by analyzing it into its component parts, by identifying its cognates in other languages, or by tracing it and its cognates to a common ancestral form in an ancestral language

Wow. That's a long definition.

[ April 30, 2004, 10:17 AM: Message edited by: Jon Boy ]

Nick
Member # 4311

I know all of those, just not etymology. You know what is really sad? It was an english teacher that told me that. [Frown]
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

It is my sad experience that most English teachers know next to nothing about English. They should just start calling themselves literature teachers and stop living a lie.
Nick
Member # 4311

Well, I did graduate from the California school system. [Wink] It's not the worst, but when I was a sophomore in high school, my state's education was rated as 36th in the nation.
MEC
Member # 2968

*agrees with Jon Boy*

[ April 30, 2004, 10:25 AM: Message edited by: MEC ]

Megachirops
Member # 4325

- posted      Profile for Megachirops           Edit/Delete Post 
*frown*

I'm a former English teacher (and a former editor), and Cor is an English teacher. And I don't think your characterization applies to either of us.

Of course, you didn't mean us.

Just like OSC didn't mean us when he said more or less the same thing to us immediately upon hearing that she was an English teacher.

So why does it rub me the wrong way?

Posts: 1001 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick
Member # 4311

Icarus, I don't think you're in that category of English teachers. You're a pretty brilliant guy, but most English teachers are not.
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.